• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'ers in Memphis, Shelby County and surrounding areas please speak up!

tcox4freedom

I just got off the phone with my cousin (an anti OC'er who has fallen for the "element of surprise" BS). He told me that OC was illegal in TN. I tried to set him straight. But, he says nobody around Memphis OCs because it's illegal.

I'm just wondering if there are any OC people from the area that can back my play? I now live in SC (22yrs). So, I'm not sure on the latest OC stats for TN.

-

Last edited:

tcox4freedom

Ridiculously easy to answer.

http://www.tn.gov/attorneygeneral/op/2005/op/op154.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yep, that's where I took him. He said the information is out dated & the law has changed.
Personally, I think he's listening to some dumb^$$ instructor that has fed him a bunch of BS. I'm really shcked though. He's a life member of the NRA (where he gets most info); and he's been a CC'er in TN for over 20yrs.

Last edited:

Nascar24Glock

Yep, that's where I took him. He said the information is out dated & the law has changed.
Personally, I think he's listening to some dumb^$$ instructor that has fed him a bunch of BS. I'm really shcked though. He's a life member of the NRA (where he gets most info); and he's been a CC'er in TN for over 20yrs.

That wouldn't shock me. My HCP instructor said something to this effect to my permit class: "Yes, open carry is legal; but, I don't recommend it. If something bad happens, you want the element of surprise. Personally, I believe open carriers think they're John Wayne with a big iron on their hip." (This was paraphrased; but, I distinctly remember the words "John Wayne" and "big iron on their hip.")

tcox4freedom

That wouldn't shock me. My HCP instructor said something to this effect to my permit class: "Yes, open carry is legal; but, I don't recommend it. If something bad happens, you want the element of surprise. Personally, I believe open carriers think they're John Wayne with a big iron on their hip." (This was paraphrased; but, I distinctly remember the words "John Wayne" and "big iron on their hip.")

I don't mind an instructor recommending CC over OC. But, I really get ticked when they talk about OC makes you lose the "element of surprise"; or OC makes you a "target" of BGs.

I can see an instructor saying things like: "Ocing may make certain people uncomfortable because of fear."

I even agree that sometimes the use of discretion could be better than the trying to make a statement. But to me, the only legitimate excuse for preferring CC over OC (besides legal issues), is a carriers "comfort" level.

My cousin is uncomfortable with OC and others are as well; and I'm ok with someone not liking OC. But, I think it has more to do with mis-information & AG propaganda than is has to do with "reality". It just ticks me off when I hear about so-called professionals spreading lies & myths when it comes to OC.

-

-

SovereignAxe

If he doesn't have any interest in open carrying, I wouldn't worry about trying to sway him on the facts. You've already given them to him, and if he says the data is outdated that means he has "better" sources than you do, and it's now his responsibility to share it. You can't be expected to find something that you know doesn't exist.

--snip-- It just ticks me off when I hear about so-called professionals spreading lies & myths when it comes to OC.
QUOTE]

The difference between a professional and an amateur is that a professional gets paid to be wrong. :p

Yep, all amateur means is that you don't get paid to be good at something. Professional just means that you do get paid to be good at something.

And I'm using the adjective "good" loosely here for some cases.

tcox4freedom

If he doesn't have any interest in open carrying, I wouldn't worry about trying to sway him on the facts. You've already given them to him, and if he says the data is outdated that means he has "better" sources than you do, and it's now his responsibility to share it. You can't be expected to find something that you know doesn't exist.

I'm really not trying to sway him. I'm just surprised he has fallen for the "element of surprise" and "OC makes you a target" BS!

utbob2004

I live in the Shelby County area and rarely see fellow open carriers. I can recall one time at Wal-Mart in Cordova that I saw one other guy and his wife open carrying. I thought that I was in Oz or something seeing them. The gentleman said hello and my buddy that was with me (he was open carrying too) and I said hello. We were in a hurry or I would have asked him if he gets on the forum here but didn't have time. Like I stated earlier, I do see people openly carrying but it is a RARE sight.

tcox4freedom

There's a guy who goes by the handle "TNMike" on another forum that lives in the Arlington area. He's the only other guy I've heard of that OC's in the memphis vicinty. I guess it has to be politics around Memphis because I do hear about more TN OC'ers in places like Nashville & Knoxville.

-

Last edited: