• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry at Shadle Park Mall

darkside

Just curious if anyone has carried at Shadle Park mall and if they had a cpl because of proximity to both a junior and a senior high school within 1000 ft(at least the junior high). Just curious .:eek:

40grit

Shadle Center

Yes ; Starbucks, Safeway, Panda Express, Verizon (Go Wireles store), and the old liquor store. And yes to the cpl.

Last edited:

darkside

thanks

Thanks for the reply. Not trying to be nosey but just really making sure i understood the law about school zones and carrying a firearm. Would rather be sure of my facts before i make a mistake.:cool:

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Thanks for the reply. Not trying to be nosey but just really making sure i understood the law about school zones and carrying a firearm. Would rather be sure of my facts before i make a mistake.:cool:

Did you know that NO ONE!!! has ever been charged "just for carrying" within the 1000 ft GFSZ federal law boundry!!!
In fact... a resident of Vermont CANNOT get ANY type of permission slip, in any form, that exempts them from that law!

Last edited:

darkside

so...

Did you know that NO ONE!!! has ever been charged "just for carrying" within the 1000 ft GFSZ federal law boundry!!!
In fact... a resident of Vermont CANNOT get ANY type of permission slip, in any form, that exempts them from that law!

Just 2 things in response,
1. No I didnt know that, but i do know that i dont want to be the first one charged with it by an over-zealous leo.

2. Glad i dont live in Vermont.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Freedom1Man

The GFSZA of 1990 was declared unconstitutional in 1995.

Congress passed a slightly revised bill called the Gun-Free School Zones Amendments Act of 1995, which is still on the books. The new law's revisions were widely considered to be cosmetic changes.

Thanks for the info. The interstate commerce clause has been stretched way too far now.

Since you purchase iron that was mined in another state or it contains alloys that are from another state 'we' as congress can now control every aspect of it.

It's all unconstitutional it a clear misuse of the interstate commerce clause.

When one reads the writings of the Founding Fathers, there is little doubt that the commerce clause (as applied between the states of the Union), was to be used for little more than insuring what we would call today, a "free trade zone". That limited role is quite rightfully where the federal government's authority in interstate commerce should end. Any reach for authority beyond that envisioned by the men who wrote the Constitution should be considered unconstitutional.
http://originalintent.org/edu/federaljur.php

EMNofSeattle

I'm yet to see someone charged for merely carrying within 1000 feet of a school. Every single case I know of that law being brought into play (mostly appeals to district courts) the GFSZA was an "add on" charge to someone who was dealing drugs or threatening people, or committing a burglary within the 1000' zone. Most U.S. Attorneys wouldn't even touch a legal carrier... I think the simple fact is, the majority of people who get convicted were doing something dirty, and while it shouldn't matter in theory, I doubt a judge is going to be searching for reasons to reverse the conviction of a drug dealer.

As far as CPLs, yes get one anyway, not only is it a shield to GFSZA, it also gives you flexibility in how you carry. for instance if i were in the mall and a mass shooter showed up, even if I were open carrying at first i certainly don't want to visibly armed when the cops roll on scene

darkside

As far as CPLs, yes get one anyway, not only is it a shield to GFSZA, it also gives you flexibility in how you carry. for instance if i were in the mall and a mass shooter showed up, even if I were open carrying at first i certainly don't want to visibly armed when the cops roll on scene

Thanks, i've had my CPL for quite a while. I'm just new to the whole OC thing.:rolleyes:

Vitaeus

doesn't have to be YOUR private property

18 USC § 921(a)(25) The term “school zone” means—

(A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or

(B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.

18 USC § 922 (q)(2) --

(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;