• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Starting a job trucking.

Acuzio

So HOPEFULLY by the middle of next month I'll be in a truck with a trainer driving all around the country, anyone have any advice for OCing? What states to watch out for?

Ghostrunner

Being a trucker my self, it is against most company polices to have a firearm in trk. Also against dot regs!!

Sent from my iPhone 4

flb_78

There are no Federal Regs about guns in trucks.

Most likely, the company you're signing onto will have a policy about no guns in company vehicles.

Acuzio

Being a trucker my self, it is against most company polices to have a firearm in trk. Also against dot regs!!

Sent from my iPhone 4

I didn't see anything in my research about carrying in the DOT regs. I'll look into this more to see. I just would rather be safe when hundreds of miles from home with a load worth more money than I'm like to see at one time.

Acuzio

Got some info now, while there is nothing in the DOT books, if a DOT officer stops you they will raise every level of hell possible about it. Thats IF your company allows a firearm in the truck. However non lethal weapons such as pepper spray or a taser ARE allowed. (by my company too :D) Atleast I won't be left to rely on my only type of hand to hand fighting, grappling and throw's.

sharkey

I was looking into buying a tazer. There are several states that you can't buy them in.
They are 1000 bucks. I'd rather put that towards my ar15 purchase.
http://www.impactguns.com/taser-x26c-citizen-defense-system-black-26009-796430260090.aspx
View attachment 9392

Taser/Tazer is like walkman (ok, dating myself). There are stun guns that are much cheaper but I believe in some states the penalty of carrying a stun gun is similar to carrying a gun.

ETA. Yep, Illinois was a good guess.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ptfire.pdf

Last edited:

Acuzio

Sheesh 1 grand for a taser/tazer? May just go with a tire thumper or an extendable baton.. Too bad I never really learned to fight.

Glock1930

Not against DOT regulations...

I drive a truck and go to KY almost everyday to deliver/pickup a load... I live in TN. Since I got my permit back in April this year, I have been stopped twice at the portland scales & both times showed my permit to the officer and both times all they said was, "where is your weapon". I said It's in my truck and that was it. It is NOT against DOT regs. But it is illegal to carry a gun in Illinois, D.C., NYC for sure. There are more places I'm sure, but all I do is travel to TN & KY 99.9% of the time. I am also a contractor and don't give a damn what my company says about guns. Just keep it hidden when you deliver. A lot of companies have signs up about firearms not allowed on property.

rushcreek2

I will ditto glock1930's closing point. This is a subject that should be addressed by your driver trainer - off the record.

Having spent 23 years as an OTR driver = I took reasonable , discrete steps to ensure that I had viable means of self defense available and there were a couple of occassions when I was glad I had something in my hand besides a tire thumper even though it was never necessary to show my hand.

You will spend many a night in a sleeper in high-risk rest areas, truck stops, and sleezy urban neighborhoods prior to loading/unloading.

A little imagination will reveal techniques that will afford ready access to a means of self defense while on the road.

I'm retired now, but I always assume that PRUDENT OTR drivers carry more than DOT triangles, and fire extinguishers in case of emergencies..... risks associated with either choice - to be prepared, or not to be prepared. It is your life.

Discuss this subject with other truckers - be cautious, but also be safe.

Your particular operating conditions have a lot to do with the decision process.

Acuzio

MOOOST likely I'll be all around the country so gun laws will be here there and everywhere. If I get settled into a back and forth run I can see about carrying again, but for just starting with the company I should keep my nose clean.

flb_78

You can have a gun in MOST of Illinois. It just has to be unloaded and encased.

I wouldn't carry while you're training and if you do decide to start carrying after your training, keep quiet about it.