• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

lawsuit? Is it worth it?

ps1mhd

Has anyone on here sued for a illegal stop and search?
Don't want to go though a long and costly suit just to be told too bad:banghead:.
I know that could happen anyway.
This would be for my Bellevue stop (see other post and Youtube).
Also know any lawers in NKY I should talk to?
I know some lawers don't like to take on LE or gun cases like this.
Some don't even know gun laws.

Mike

davidmcbeth

Banned
Its only related to gun laws ... you have a 4th amendment issue ...

If the cops had reasonable suspicion that would be enough for you to lose ...

Able to file pro se?

It will be long ... it does not have to be costly

ps1mhd

Its only related to gun laws ... you have a 4th amendment issue ...

If the cops had reasonable suspicion that would be enough for you to lose ...

Able to file pro se?

It will be long ... it does not have to be costly

What do you mean able to?
I know what Pro Se means.
Mike

sharkey

What do you mean able to?
I know what Pro Se means.
Mike

I think he means willing to. I've been victorious every time I went Pro Se (nothing gun related) but only did one action via Federal Court. Their rules of civil procedure are mind numbing.

In Idaho my Pro Se case took so much time I settled for far less than I should of. I was worried I'd lose my job focusing on the case. I would have gladly used an attorney (an always recommend one) but all the attorney's with that type of experience didn't work for consumers. :(

Federal court filing fees are about $400 I think.

garyh9900

Ned Pillersdorf is who you need to call. He is selective about the cases he takes, but there isn't a person or entity in this state he wouldn't take on.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
It is absolutely worth it! And you will want the best lawyer you can find that is knowledgable in KY firearm law and civil proceedings. I would contact the man that Gary suggested and speak with him about your case and see what he has to say. It is worth it to have an attorney that you can rely on, and not one who only cares about a paycheck. Depending on how knowledgeable you are on the subjects that pertain to your case you could consider going pro se, but if you aren't well studied on the matters at hand I would not attempt it.

If you are considered an idigent person you can also request that the court waive your filing fees and costs (known as "In Forma Pauperis" in the legal world). The court will determine what costs -- if any -- will be waived in a civil proceeding. You can do this with an attorney or pro se, but if you are using an attorney it would be a good idea to have him attempt to do this for you. You will have to fill out a waiver form that consists of several questions pertaining to your income and so forth, but it isn't much.

I would certainly get the ball rolling on this matter. It is imperative that these officers understand they can't go around depriving people of their rights!

Last edited: