• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Assault on Old Town

SPOProds

So Friday night I was sucker punched twice at the Riverfront Pub in Old Town. Lip is still numb, got a nice little shiner and the right side of my face is swollen. Police were called and arrived while the crowd was outside. Friends and I stood still as the police showed up, I tops the first officer on scene I was sucker punched twice and wanted to press charges. He told me to stay where I was and continued to walk towards one of my friends who was also sucker punched and had a bloody nose. Meanwhile the assailants are still on scene and the officer has not paid them any mind. Two more cars show up and everyone except my group scatters. None of the officers tried to stop the fleeing. My ID was ran by an officer and I was never asked what happened. The first officer on scene comes back over and asks the october IDing me if I was ok for warrents then told me I could leave. I asked if anyone wanted to hear what to had to say. I was told no and that they had enough "statements"(i saw no notebooks come out doesn't mean they didn't). I told him I was assaulted twice and wanted to press charges. He shined a light in my face and told me to come down to the PD on monday. I have taken photos of my injuries since then. i asked for a reference number and was told I didn't need one just come down. Any input guys? Don't want to go much into detail about what actually happened.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

SPOProds

I was not OCing or carrying. If I had been OCing this may not have happened.

boyscout399

Unfortunately, part of the problem is that in Maine Assault is a Class D crime. That means that the officer cannot arrest unless the crime was committed in his presence. He could still have issued a summons though. Strange. Also, if he got any statements saying you instigated the conflict in any way, even verbal instigation, then your assault claim is void

Last edited:

SPOProds

Thanks boyscout. I instigated in no way. All the witnesses were from my party. Everyone else ran. I had an item stolen off of my clothing. I told the guy it was disrespectful. Then I was sucker punched by the first guy. I just find our strange that the two people with injuries did not have statements taken.

Hef

File a civil suit against the property owner for failing to provide adequate security. Subpoena any and all security video and use it to try to ID your attackers, then sue them. Forget about criminal charges.

SPOProds

File a civil suit against the property owner for failing to provide adequate security. Subpoena any and all security video and use it to try to ID your attackers, then sue them. Forget about criminal charges.

I was thinking this. There was no security at all.

boyscout399

It's not the responsibility of the property owner to keep you safe. Your safety is only your own responsibility. You'd have to prove negligence on their part to a known threat.

Hef

It's not the responsibility of the property owner to keep you safe. Your safety is only your own responsibility. You'd have to prove negligence on their part to a known threat.

I've known lawyers who have successfully argued against your statement. One of my friends (a bar owner) lost $700,000 in one case.

SPOProds

I've known lawyers who have successfully argued against your statement. One of my friends (a bar owner) lost $700,000 in one case.

This was at a bar that normally gets fairly packed. And has only a liked number of tables, everyone mostly stands. I will be FOI requesting tomorrow for any previous police response to the location, between Oct. 2011 and current date, reasoning for police response and if any arrests were made. In order to show the bar should have known security was necessary on a Friday night when a bunch of drunk college kids are out partying.

sharkey

I've sued plenty and I find your advice to be reprehensible.

To hold the bar liable for a sucker punch is ridiculous unless their staff were involved in the altercation.

SPOProds

The sucker punch happened after he stole something from me, kid should have been removed then

I'm not arguing though, just giving a different view. Trying to get as many opinions as possible. Thanks guys

Last edited:

sharkey

Was this theft witnessed by an employee?
Did you report it prior to being assaulted?

From what I read the assault happened immediately after the item was taken.

Out of curiosity what was taken from you? A button pin, a sticker? Stealing is stealing but I'm curious what exactly was on your clothing.

I'm all for suing the perpetrators assuming they have any assets. I'm against suing the property unless they are culpable. And by culpable I mean substantially, not that they didn't surround you for your whole visit like secret service.

Last edited:

SPOProds

Was this theft witnessed by an employee?
Did you report it prior to being assaulted?

From what I read the assault happened immediately after the item was taken.

Out of curiosity what was taken from you? A button pin, a sticker? Stealing is stealing but I'm curious what exactly was on your clothing.

I'm all for suing the perpetrators assuming they have any assets. I'm against suing the property unless they are culpable. And by culpable I mean substantially, not that they didn't surround you for your whole visit like secret service.

I had a couple of cigarettes in my knitted hat. One of his friends snatched one earlier in the night. I told him it was disrespectful and not to do it again. Later in the night(30 mins or so)his friend came over and did the same thing with my back turned. An employee witnessed the first interaction, I did not mention it however(my mistake). The assault happened almost immediately after the second time.

sharkey

I had a couple of cigarettes in my knitted hat. One of his friends snatched one earlier in the night. I told him it was disrespectful and not to do it again. Later in the night(30 mins or so)his friend came over and did the same thing with my back turned. An employee witnessed the first interaction, I did not mention it however(my mistake). The assault happened almost immediately after the second time.

I was about to say if someone did that to me I would ....... but then I remembered what actually happened in my last bar altercation.

It was over a pool table. I was with my friend, wife and mom. I think the guy checked his cue (rolled it on our table) while we were playing or something. It was a long time ago. He was rude and I wanted to hit him but stifled it since my mom was with me. What my friend did was far worse. When their backs were turned he hocked a big loogie in the guys beer.

It was wrong of him but we had the last laugh.

As far as your situation the employee may have thought you handled it. I wasn't there so can't say for sure. I just think if you sue someone (I know you never said that) they should be responsible. There are too many frivolous lawsuits out there and this is coming from a guy who has been involved in at least 10 lawsuits. 2 of which were because a collection company left me a message.

And I won every single suit BTW :)

Hef

I've sued plenty and I find your advice to be reprehensible.

To hold the bar liable for a sucker punch is ridiculous unless their staff were involved in the altercation.

A man was assaulted. Law enforcement obviously doesn't care and likely can't be compelled to do anything to help the man. The bar, on the other hand, could be compelled through the threat (or actual pursuit) of a civil suit. The idea is not to hold the bar responsible, but to force them into helping the victim hold his assailants responsible in civil court, while keeping a suit against the bar in reserve in case suing the attackers fails.

In short, suing the bar is not the end, but the means to another end.

sharkey

A man was assaulted. Law enforcement obviously doesn't care and likely can't be compelled to do anything to help the man. The bar, on the other hand, could be compelled through the threat (or actual pursuit) of a civil suit. The idea is not to hold the bar responsible, but to force them into helping the victim hold his assailants responsible in civil court, while keeping a suit against the bar in reserve in case suing the attackers fails.

In short, suing the bar is not the end, but the means to another end.

He could easily subpoena the tape and employee without the threat of a lawsuit. Based on what has been shared so far I find the threat of a lawsuit against the establishment in poor taste.

The OP is a member of this forum and should have been cognitive of his surroundings. Damn, I just blamed the victim. What I mean is while you can certainly sue and win against an establishment for their failure to protect you that doesn't mean you should. I reserve technicality lawsuits for predatory businesses. Bars have enough issues with Dram shop laws. I believe in personal responsibility.

If this bar disarmed him (I don't know the laws in his state) and then he got injured because of his inability to defend himself they would be lawsuit worthy.

SPOProds

Bar did not disarm me. I did not OC due to the fact we were having a small bachelor party for a friend, and getting wasted was planned, I chose not to carry. Maybe choosing not to drink would have been the better idea. Being that I had a few drinks and was laughing it up with my friends my SA was impaired. I appreciate everyone's opinions.