• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ask a Cop.

sudden valley gunner

+1

Although it would be shaky legal ground for a police officer to ask for a cpl based off of a call saying the wind blew someone's coat open, I doubt an officer would even respond to one such call unless something else was reported to dispatch.

But he did get it right in saying that open carry was legal with no CPL (remember the asst AGO who tried to insist otherwise) and then mentioned that people actively do it. That may not be a strong endorsement but it certainly acknowledges to the public that such activity is legal.

Folks in Bellingham have been arrested and harassed for their concealed gun showing.

One reason why we have gatherings at Bloedel is because the cops their arrested a man because his gun showed when he took off his jacket and he had a CPL.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Sharky said..“There’s even an organization whose raison d’etre is promotion of open carry
. . . OpenCarry.org. These are the shock troops of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away.”
Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

We do not look like "shock troops". We look like "jus plain folks"

sudden valley gunner

Sharky said..“There’s even an organization whose raison d’etre is promotion of open carry
. . . OpenCarry.org. These are the shock troops of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away.”
Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

We do not look like "shock troops". We look like "jus plain folks"

We look like shock troops to the hoplophobic and those who cater to the hoplophobes which is often the the gun lobby. Look at the crap that get's flung at us from the conceal only crowd.

A badge of honor in my opinion.

I think your experience in my town has been similar to mine though is that the overwhelming majority of citizens respect our actions and our rights, and this is in hippy liberal Bellingham.

acmariner99

Most of my CC friends are pro-OC, they're just too scared to do it themselves :lol:

A family member of mine seems pretty adamant that if they OCed on a regular basis he would find themselves at the wrong end of someone's sidearm or worse wind up being "birked," therefore they refuse to OC and routinely chastises me for doing it. I have had a couple of encounters with LEO's and I am still here. I also think he doesn't want any attention drawn to him, be it curiosity or hostility.

Last edited:

Cubex DE

A family member of mine seems pretty adamant that if they OCed on a regular basis he would find themselves at the wrong end of someone's sidearm or worse wind up being "birked," therefore they refuse to OC and routinely chastises me for doing it.

I was waiting at a crosswalk the other day and a friend pulled up to the stoplight and saw me.

Him: "Are you open carrying?"
Me: "Every day."
Him: *thumbs up*

He supports me (and others) OC'ing, but I've talked to him at length and he feels the same way as your family member: that he would end up getting shot for it. Nevermind the fact that many people (myself included) OC every day without incident. Like many CC'ers, his opinion is to let us be the trailblazers, and they will follow once they feel like it's safe.

This is the same friend that drew on three men who would have certainly beaten him to death in a Wal-Mart parking lot. They specifically targeted him while he was shopping, telling him that "tonight is a bad night for you," then followed him while he exited the store. He had to run to his truck to get his Glock; good thing he could run faster than them. Once he drew, they suddenly realized they had other obligations and left very quickly in three different directions. I can't help but think the whole situation would have occurred much differently had he been OC'ing, meaning, it probably wouldn't have happened at all.

sudden valley gunner

Most of my CC friends are pro-OC, they're just too scared to do it themselves :lol:

True I find most many conceal guys are like that. What I was referring to was those who think conceal is the only method anyone should do. Personally I don't care how one carries, just carry. We have a Doctor that attends our weekly meets he usually conceals, last week or the week before he OC'd for the first time. After almost a year of coming to the meets.

Cubex DE

We have a Doctor that attends our weekly meets he usually conceals, last week or the week before he OC'd for the first time. After almost a year of coming to the meets.

I guess he noticed that all the same people had been there for a whole year without being taken down in a hail of gunfire and decided it was safe at last. :lol:

But I agree, concealed carry is better than no carry.

Tucker6900

The video is accurate and to the point. A bit long winded, a simple "no, its legal to open carry" would have been sifficient.

bmg50cal

Hoplophobes, I might just have to see if some of them are also coulrophobic. I'll have to OC in a clown suit. Then everyone will know me as that clown that OCs.

Open carry is no laughing matter, unless you're a clown.

clown-with-gun.jpg

Alpine

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
To be fair, quite a few clowns OC. They just tend to OC cream pies, not pistols...

Which is probably off limits for discussion at OCDO, except in the subforum for the federal enclave of the District of Columbia, of course.

Last edited:

Cubex DE

They didn't say "oh, please show us your ID if you feel like it," they said "just show us your ID."

+1. It's all about wording. They "asked" for his ID, which they have the authority to do, but they continued to ask for it when he refused. Their reason was that they "didn't know" if he was a felon (ignoring the fact that they need RAS that he is a felon to detain him). I don't know about you, but if some random guy I didn't know just started accusing me of being a criminal, I might be a little short with him too.

Last edited: