• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

More VCU stdents get robbed

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Police say that last night about five men invaded a home near VCU's campus.
The robbers wore masks and barged through an unlocked door. Six people were home at the time.
Neighbors say college students live there.
Kara Adams, a neighbor who lives up the block, said, "There were about ten cop cars lined up on the street. Some had lights on, some didn't."
Police won't say exactly what the suspects took.
Many students continue to feel unnerved by the violence.
"I want to live on the street next year. But after hearing, it's pretty scary," said Jackie Schneck, a VCU student who lives on the block.
This robbery is the latest in a slew of recent crimes near VCU, this coming after six robberies on or near the VCU campus last week.
Police say they're increasing patrols in the area.
No one was hurt in this case.

TFred

For the life of me, I really can't figure out why anyone would want to go, or why any parent would let their kid go to VCU. The school academics can't be THAT good to be worth risking your life for.

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
For the life of me, I really can't figure out why anyone would want to go, or why any parent would let their kid go to VCU. The school academics can't be THAT good to be worth risking your life for.

TFred

It's cheap. (In all senses of that word.)

It's convenient - the kids are really not that far away from home, or stuck on some podunk campus surrounded by corn fields.

They can access all the attractions of the city, and be exposed to different cultures and lifestyles. (What!?! Are you trying to tell me that getting a gun or knife shoved in your face and having your presious toys taken away is not a an oppotunity to get to know different cultures and interact with people who follow different lifestyles?)

And, seriously, what's the big fuss about? These things happen to what - less than 1% of the students? It's no big deal (until it happens to your snowflake).

I'm not saying I agree with any of that, but you wanted to know why someone would want to go or why a parent would allow their kid to go. (I just read the cue cards, I don't write them.)

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Ouch. (I go to ODU) But I have to say tuition is cheap and it is close to home.

He said that just to make you feel bad!
big_rofl.gif

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Don't you mean "As long as I have anything to say about it?" Never is a long time, and they turn 18 long before then...

It doesn't matter when they turn 18. My son is 35 and 6.4.....and I can still take him!:uhoh:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I was older than him when I went back to school, so it's not too late. If he won a scholarship to VCU, would you still take him there?

He has a gun and as long as I don't have to pay for another 4 years, sure.
Maybe if he gets his masters he won't borrow any more money!:lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
VCU could reduce the incidence of crime reported as "on campus" by only counting those that happen inside the buildings - you know the areas that are "private property." :lol:

GDBaum

I'm not feeling too much love for the Rams in this thread. Don't forget y'all have a VCU student hanging around here. Maybe the student body just needs a better understanding of why they should carry guns. I understand a few members here were around campus for just that reason a little while ago. I wish I'd heard about it earlier so I could have come by.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm not feeling too much love for the Rams in this thread. Don't forget y'all have a VCU student hanging around here. Maybe the student body just needs a better understanding of why they should carry guns. I understand a few members here were around campus for just that reason a little while ago. I wish I'd heard about it earlier so I could have come by.

Yeah, I was hoping I'd bump into you.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

It's not a lack of love of/for the Rams you are feeling here. What you are feeling is the disgust we have for an administration that prevents VCU students from being able to utilize the most effective and efficient means of self defense.

One of last night's (10/16) victims was robbed at gunpoint as he was checking his phone for an alert that had been sent out about an earlier armed robbery. Yep! Those alerts really do keep folks safe, don't they?

If you checked the VA-ALERTS when they come out you would know earlier about events like the one at VCU - just do it where it's safer than wakling down the street. (Sorry, but I had to - it was just sitting there beging to be done.)

stay safe

crazydude6030

I know a few people attending school there and a few of them even showed up to support the VCDL. They all want to get their permit and gun but feel its a waste of time while attending school there. Everynight the post alerts sent out on their facebook page about break ins and such. Its gotten to the point thats is normal for them o_O

OC for ME

Police say that last night about five men invaded a home near VCU's campus.
So, were the young skulls full of mush on campus or off campus? Was the "home" a VCU home or a "private" home?

Why does a home invasion near a institution of higher learning implicate that institution of higher learning and their anti-self-defense policies as a unknowing co-conspirator of the a fore mentioned home invasion that occurred near the institution of higher learning?

This heinous act occurred in Richmond, and not near some podunk campus surrounded by corn fields.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So, were the young skulls full of mush on campus or off campus? Was the "home" a VCU home or a "private" home?

Why does a home invasion near a institution of higher learning implicate that institution of higher learning and their anti-self-defense policies as a unknowing co-conspirator of the a fore mentioned home invasion that occurred near the institution of higher learning?

This heinous act occurred in Richmond, and not near some podunk campus surrounded by corn fields.

There is no "campus" in the traditional sense. The official VCU boundaries end at the side walk edge of each and every block/street. If it happens off the grass, it is not on VCU technically or in the case of Grace St. and similar outside the building.

When VCU will expel a student or fire an employee for carrying a handgun "on campus", they effectively disarm them from the time they leave home (assuming none school housing) until they return home. Even some streets have been closed and turned over to the school - gotta watch were you place your feet. The total land mass is 88 acres on the Monroe Park Campus alone.
http://www.maps.vcu.edu/pdfs/campus_map.pdf

Many seemingly private "for rent" properties are owned by front companies for VCU, who will in time "sell" them to VCU for future expansion. They have been buying up property like this for years. Years ago I attended a meeting with VCU and the Fan Association - VCU said they would never cross Grace St. or Belivedere - they already had with the purchase of the old Universal Ford property on Broad St. and the old hotel across Belvidere at Monroe Park - that was 20 years ago and VCU is still hiding/distorting the facts.

So VCU like a few other schools perpetuates the victim rich zones because it makes the administration feel better. BTW - they aren't the ones getting robbed, raped and assaulted.

It is more than a shame - it should be a crime.

Meanwhile I take every opportunity to OC anywhere I can legally do so and educate the students and staff. Think I'll have to have lunch in Monroe Park very soon and feed the pigeons :D

BTW - Monroe Park is a City of Richmond park, not VCU property even though VCU police it and maintain it.
http://www.richmondgov.com/parks/parkMonroe.aspx

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
4 suspects arrested in latest armed robberies on, near, close to VCU

What I find very telling is VCU PoliceChief John Venuti's comment:

"These swift arrests within hours of the crimes send a clear message that VCU Police will not tolerate crimes against its community and will aggressively pursue anyone coming to our campus to cause harm."

So private addresses in 1000 block of Grove Ave. and in the 700 & 1300 block of West Clay Street are considered by the Chief as being "on campus"?

Is it any wonder that we too think that if you are close enough to spit onto the "campus" that it is a VCU related problem?

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/...suspect-3-vcu-area-armed-robberie-ar-2289409/

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
What I find very telling is VCU PoliceChief John Venuti's comment:

"These swift arrests within hours of the crimes send a clear message that VCU Police will not tolerate crimes against its community and will aggressively pursue anyone coming to our campus to cause harm."

So private addresses in 1000 block of Grove Ave. and in the 700 & 1300 block of West Clay Street are considered by the Chief as being "on campus"?

Is it any wonder that we too think that if you are close enough to spit onto the "campus" that it is a VCU related problem?

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/...suspect-3-vcu-area-armed-robberie-ar-2289409/

That's interesting Grapeshot. When I got one of the Officers that was capable of independent thought, alone the other night...That's one of the canned responses he used when I told him it wasn't possible to prevent crime.

When he said they were making swift arrests and that would send a clear message to criminals....I said "so you're telling me they will be too afraid to rob students, do you really believe that?".

He said "Not really but it's all we can do".

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That's interesting Grapeshot. When I got one of the Officers that was capable of independent thought, alone the other night...That's one of the canned responses he used when I told him it wasn't possible to prevent crime.

When he said they were making swift arrests and that would send a clear message to criminals....I said "so you're telling me they will be too afraid to rob students, do you really believe that?".

He said "Not really but it's all we can do".

They can solve crime, but not prevent it.

Prevention is an individual responsibility that has been denied by the VCU administration. They are figuratively handcuffing the students and staff, pushing them out the door and telling them to be safe.

Then come the VCU PD riding their Rams with chalk and camera in hand.........X marks the spot. :uhoh:

I'm sure that the victims of these crimes feel better knowing they are a number found on reports per the Clary Act .

According to the Virginia State Police’s Crime in Virginia Report for 2011, VCU has the largest police force among state schools, with 79 sworn officers, 25 more than George Mason’s, the next-largest campus police force in the state with 54 officers.

That report from the state police indicates that VCU had the highest number of incidents among the 24 colleges and universities reported, 1,111 total , which is more than double those at the next highest school, the University of Virginia. VCU tallied the highest number of assaults, larcenies, weapons law violations and drug/narcotic offenses among state schools.

http://www.commonwealthtimes.org/20...-vcus-latest-security-and-fire-safety-report/