• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How Many Concealed Carry Permits in Wisconsin's First Year?

anmut

Not true.
I've worked with dozens of minors, teaching them to shoot safely.
All perfectly legal.
He should have said:

Every time the topic of minors & "weapons" comes up, or "weapons" at school, or zero tolerance, I think back to when I was in high school. I carried a pocket knife pretty much every day. Used it in front of teachers, too.
I don't know if it's the kids or the adults who have less sense now. Probably a bit of both. But I'm sure that if a kid today did that they'd be up on charges so fast their head would spin.

You had a POCKETKNIFE at school? And you didn't murder everyone in sight? The school wasn't sliced in half? Your teachers had all their fingers?

...imagine that...

Cap'n Nemo

When I was a kid no self respecting boy over the age of seven wouldn't think of going to school without a slingshot in his back pocket and a pocket knife in his front pocket. If he didn't, how in the world would he play mumblety peg at recess? Of course that was 66 years ago.

MKEgal

anmut said:
You had a POCKETKNIFE at school? And you didn't murder everyone in sight? The school wasn't sliced in half? Your teachers had all their fingers?
...imagine that...
Yep, nope, nope, yep. :D
The only times I remember that it was used was when I had an apple for lunch.

GreenCountyPete

not only did we carry pocket knives in school , the school library got American rifleman , American hunter , and a few other magazines like them , we also brought our hunting bows to gym class for the archery portion of gym class we shot across the track standing on the foot ball field.

and if you got permission from the principal you could do your speech in speech class on how to clean your gun and bring your gun to school for the day locked in your locker

we also went hunting before and after school and left our guns locked in our trucks on occasion.

my how times have changed , i really didn't think i had been out of school all that long , i don't feel that old

Lurchiron

When I was a kid no self respecting boy over the age of seven wouldn't think of going to school without a slingshot in his back pocket and a pocket knife in his front pocket. If he didn't, how in the world would he play mumblety peg at recess? Of course that was 66 years ago.

+1, but minus 26 years :cool:

MKEgal

This article says 138,500 (which I calculated is a bit over 500 per workday).

Where are all the media stories of blood in the streets, shootouts over parking spaces, trick or treaters killed for knocking on doors, innocent bystanders to crimes being killed?

ccwinstructor

Centurion
138,500 comes to over 2.4 percent of total population of Wisconsin.

2.4 percent of the total population is very good for the first year. I would like to see it go over 3 percent by the end of next year. That would take another 34,000 issued during this next year, or about 659 a week. There is a good chance that we will not make it.

Let non-residents apply, and those numbers will be dwarfed.

Last edited:

E6chevron

I'm sure a lot of Illinois residents would apply for a WI CCL if they were allowed to. For the time being, many of them get a Utah permit, to allow them to carrry in Wisconsin.

The local NBC affiliate in Milwaukee had a good story on Wednesday, here it is:

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/176894121.html

indicates 138,664 licenses have been issued, 151,577 applications received.

Attorney General JB Van Hollen issued himself permit number one and says he regularly carries on the job.

"We were one of the last two states who didn't have conceal carry for law abiding citizens," Van Hollen said. "An armed society is certainly a safer society and a better society."

I think the Wisconsin Attorney General has a good attitude.

oliverclotheshoff

I'm sure a lot of Illinois residents would apply for a WI CCL if they were allowed to. For the time being, many of them get a Utah permit, to allow them to carrry in Wisconsin.

The local NBC affiliate in Milwaukee had a good story on Wednesday, here it is:

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/176894121.html

indicates 138,664 licenses have been issued, 151,577 applications received.

I think the Wisconsin Attorney General has a good attitude.

"Attorney General JB Van Hollen issued himself permit number one and says he regularly carries on the job."

from the link

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Those employers give up the legal immunity from lawsuit when they forbid carry

It is a shame there are employers who prohibit people from being able to defend themselves.

They give up the legal immuinity from lawsuit that is provided by they law when they forbid concealed carry by their employees. Most are likely not aware of this. We need to do a better job of educating them.

An article from a Wisconsin legal journal is available to this effect:

http://wislawjournal.com/2012/08/29/...arry-immunity/