• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How Many Concealed Carry Permits in Wisconsin's First Year?

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Wisconsin passed one of the best shall issue permit statutes nearly a year ago. The permits are limited to Wisconsin residents for now, and passed the 100,000 mark months ago. How many permits will have been issued by the end of the first year? When I was tracking this, I would have estimated about 150,000. Does anyone know what the numbers are now, and what they are projected to be in two weeks?

If Wisconsin hits the 172,00 mark, it will mean that 3 percent of the total population will have CCW permits. That puts Wisconsin in elevated territory when compared to most states. Three percent in the first year is a very respectable number. It could well hit that number, or very close to it.

This is a good start for Wisconsin, but it still has a way to go to catch up to South Dakota and Georgia, which have issued permit numbers equivalent to about 10 percent of their populations.

Wisconsin can tap into the revenue source represented by non-residents by allowing non-residents to apply for and obtain a Wisconsin permit. Wisconsin's system is far more convenient than Florida's or Utah's, as it does not require a photograph or fingerprints. Along with fees that are lower than those states, Wisconsin could become the go-to state for non-resident permits, potentially bringing in tens of millions of dollars to the state each year.

Last edited:

oliverclotheshoff

well last monday it was 133400 and as of friday i saw permit number of 134000 so it seem like they are still getting about 500 to 600 a week no where near enough to get 172000 but are your numbers based off of wi population or wi 21 and over population? i did some rough figures and i had 3.17% from wi 21 and over population

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Thank you for the information. The percent I quoted was for total population.

well last monday it was 133400 and as of friday i saw permit number of 134000 so it seem like they are still getting about 500 to 600 a week no where near enough to get 172000 but are your numbers based off of wi population or wi 21 and over population? i did some rough figures and i had 3.17% from wi 21 and over population

My numbers were based on the total population. If the 500 per week number holds up, Wisconsin could reach the three percent figure in the third year. I would expect the numbers to surge dramaticaly if Wisconsin reforms the system to allow non-resident permits. I would apply for one immediately if they did. It is hard for me to see any downside for Wisconsin in this reform. It is a good reason for Wisconsin residents to work hard to retake the state senate from Democrats.

Using a total population of 5,711,000, the 134,000 ccw permit figure translates to 2.34 percent of the population, which is still a good first year for Wisconsin. It is almost up to the national average of 2.57 percent.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Nearly every CCW holder is a voter, and will vote.

135,000 Wisconsin CCW holders translates into 5.4 percent of voters in the June, 2012 recall election. Not only that, but CCW is popular with large numbers of Democrats as well as Republicans. No politician can expect to throw away over five percent of the vote, and win.

I expect that CCW will stay and will gain positive reforms in the coming years.

Last edited:

protias

Permits? Zero
Licenses? 130k doesn't sound too far off.

Last edited:

oliverclotheshoff

My numbers were based on the total population. If the 500 per week number holds up, Wisconsin could reach the three percent figure in the third year. I would expect the numbers to surge dramaticaly if Wisconsin reforms the system to allow non-resident permits. I would apply for one immediately if they did. It is hard for me to see any downside for Wisconsin in this reform. It is a good reason for Wisconsin residents to work hard to retake the state senate from Democrats.

Using a total population of 5,711,000, the 134,000 ccw permit figure translates to 2.34 percent of the population, which is still a good first year for Wisconsin. It is almost up to the national average of 2.57 percent.

those numbers are really skewed because there are 1.49 mill. people in wi under the age of 20 and another up to 200,000 people in the 20 to 21 year age and since you need to be 21 to a CCL in wi the correct numbers are closer to my original estimte of 3.17% according to july of 2011 population spreadsheet from the state

Last edited:

hermannr

those numbers are really skewed because there are 1.49 mill. people in wi under the age of 20 and another up to 200,000 people in the 20 to 21 year age and since you need to be 21 to a CCL in wi the correct numbers are closer to my original estimte of 3.17% according to july of 2011 population spreadsheet from the state

You guys got a ways to go. WA has about 5 million over 21 (min age for a CPL)...last I heard we were at about 378,000 CPL's active. So we're still working at..and WA has been "shall issue" since 1961. 130k+ is a good start, congrats.

GreenCountyPete

remember to subtract the prison population from the over 21 to start to get a better number of actual eligible , probably could just double the prison population to take a guess at those on probation or xcons if you wanted to try an estimate that.

the number of voters is a fair number to use about as close as you can get as most of the things that make you ineligible for one make you ineligible for the other , 3,452,348 voters as of Oct 2012 some 18-20 year olds counted in this however , but very close tot he eligible population
the source
http://gab.wi.gov/sites/default/files/publication/65/registeredvotersbyagegroup_pdf_17071.pdf

3,452,348/134000=25.76 1/25.76=3.8%

thats not bad

remember when they used to tell us only 2% of eligible wold ever get a license , wrong again and in under a year.

Last edited:

oliverclotheshoff

remember to subtract the prison population from the over 21 to start to get a better number of actual eligible , probably could just double the prison population to take a guess at those on probation or xcons if you wanted to try an estimate that.

the number of voters is a fair number to use about as close as you can get as most of the things that make you ineligible for one make you ineligible for the other , 3,452,348 voters as of Oct 2012 some 18-20 year olds counted in this however , but very close tot he eligible population
the source
http://gab.wi.gov/sites/default/files/publication/65/registeredvotersbyagegroup_pdf_17071.pdf

3,452,348/134000=25.76 1/25.76=3.8%

thats not bad

remember when they used to tell us only 2% of eligible wold ever get a license , wrong again and in under a year.

nice catch i completely blew past the prison population

MKEgal

GreenCountyPete said:
3,452,348/134000 = 25.76
1/25.76 = 3.8%
I agree with your result, but don't understand how you got there.
I was taught to find the % by:
(part / total) x 100
or
(134,000 / 3,452,348) x 100 = 3.88
Why is yours 1 / (total / part)? :confused:

Last edited:

Yetiman

There's a whole lot of convicted felons who have only seen a few months behind bars if even that. The Convicted Felon number is a whole lot higher than twice the prison population.

The voter number is probably a good point as mentioned.

Last edited:

GreenCountyPete

i made a fraction out of it but mixed in a decimal unconventional but it works the 134000 is 1/25.67 of the hole take any fraction and divide the bottom by the top and it gives you the decimal slide the decimal over 2 the same as X 100 and get percent

3/4 3 divided by 4 is .75 slide the decimal point 2 to the right and add a % sign , equations work in more than one way and can be solved forwards or backwards i just approached it from a different direction

Last edited:

oliverclotheshoff

just saw on another forum 134,5xx so it does seem that the 500 a week is still holding plus he said his issue date was 2 days after he put it in the mailbox

Cap'n Nemo

Interesting figures but don't forget that 100% of the law abiding population over the age of 21 has the constitutional right to open carry. Our job isn't finished until that figures includes concealed carry.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Interesting figures but don't forget that 100% of the law abiding population has the right to open carry where does the 21 yoa age limit come from.

One can carry and own hand guns at 18 even buy them just not from a FFL. One just can't get a CCW at 18. One can own and carry long guns younger.

Cap'n Nemo

Speaking from my 25 years as a FFL holder. Federal law prohibits FFL holders from selling handguns to anyone under age of 21. The whole issue of sale, posession, gifts, as related to age is confusing. Here is an old letter received from Attorney general Doyle's office.

Thank you for writing to Attorney General Jim Doyle with your
questions about gun ownership. The Attorney General welcomes the
opportunity to respond to your inquiry.

The short answer to your question is yes -- a 19-year-old can
legally recieve a firearm as a gift. A person under age 21 cannot purchase a
firearm from an FFL dealer, and that is based on federal law, not the law of
the State of Wisconsin. Federal law, however, does not address simple
possession or ownership not implicating a sale by an FFL dealer. In
Wisconsin, state law prohibits persons under the age of 18 from possessing
any dangerous weapon including a firearm, and does not distinguish between
handguns and long guns in this regard.

Again, thank you for writing to Attorney General Doyle.

Sincerely,
Richard West
Policy Analyst

Have fun with that spin.

My reference to age 21 was only to level the playing field with the age requirement that would authorize posession of a concealed weapon. By literal interpretation a person in Wisconsin between the age of 18 and 21 can open carry a handgun if he/she obtained a handgun as a gift, loan or purchased it from a non FFL licensed individual. my opinion. Caution is urged. This area of Wisconsin law is fuzzy.

Last edited:

MKEgal

Richard West said:
In Wisconsin, state law prohibits persons under the age of 18 from possessing any dangerous weapon including a firearm, and does not distinguish between handguns and long guns in this regard.
Not true.
I've worked with dozens of minors, teaching them to shoot safely.
And minors go hunting every year, every season, using firearms.
All perfectly legal.
He should have said:
Richard West said:
In Wisconsin, state law prohibits persons under the age of 18 from possessing any dangerous weapon including a firearm except in very limited circumstances, and does not distinguish between handguns and long guns in this regard.
Every time the topic of minors & "weapons" comes up, or "weapons" at school, or zero tolerance, I think back to when I was in high school. I carried a pocket knife pretty much every day. Used it in front of teachers, too.
I don't know if it's the kids or the adults who have less sense now. Probably a bit of both. But I'm sure that if a kid today did that they'd be up on charges so fast their head would spin.

Last edited: