• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Montana, Bozeman in specific.

Kovernm

Greetings I just moved to Bozeman from Michigan. I was wondering if there are any other Montana gun forums that are any good. In Michigan there are a couple just for state residents. Hope to get some good info from this forum. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Greetings I just moved to Bozeman from Michigan. I was wondering if there are any other Montana gun forums that are any good. In Michigan there are a couple just for state residents. Hope to get some good info from this forum. Thanks.

Welcome to MT Kovernm. While I currently live in WA, I have several family members and friends that live in MT and visit frequently. I have not come across any 'active' MT forums. http://www.montanaguns.org/ has a bit of information on gun shows and other sites.

If you have any questions feel free to bring them up.

DCR

There aren't many, if any

Most gun guys I know in MT are too busy hunting, shooting and reloading to write about it. You are close to a year-round, excellent range (Logan) that you should join, and look into some of the clubs that hold many events there. Check into the Weapons Collectors Society of Montana - it sanctions most all the gun shows in the state, which IMHO are the best shows in the west, bar none. Bozeman has 3 shows a year, if I'm not mistaken, all put on by a guy named Brian who has a gun & pawn shop on 7th across from the now-defunct Van's IGA. There are also good shows in Livingston, Helena and Billings, and if you're into longer road trips (better get used to them-Montana is BIG and everything is pretty far apart!) Great Falls, Kalispel, Idaho Falls ID, and Cody, WY (which has the amazing Winchester museum a guy could spend weeks in looking and drooling).

You may find a group or two associated with MSU, but the college is starting to trend left and frowns on our hobby (but the dean of students is a gun guy!) I doubt you'll find many fellow gunners in the Gay Green Loggers for Jesus (no joke-it is a real group in the Boz; look them up - if you're so inclined you can buy their bumper stickers & T-shirts at Cactus records on Main).

You'll meet many gunners at local Republican events: don't know about local Democrats. NPR's Sarah Vowell (no, she doesn't like guns) grew up in Bozeman, and her Dad, a gunsmith, still lives there. Bozeman residents, you'll find, are an eclectic bunch.

Shedhorn in Ennis is about the most well-stocked gun shop in the area and a fun, short (relatively) drive away.

Try some locally-made (Livingston) Wilcoxson's ice cream - it's REAL ice cream - you'll never want the national brand, chemical-laden stuff again.

Welcome to the inland west generally & God's country specifically.

Last edited:

MontanaCZ

Yes, we are too busy outside doing stuff than spending time on a forum :D

I do not know of any forum for the state of Montana, at least one that is active. There is a spot on Firearmtalk, but is all but dead. There is the Home Town Forum on ARFcom under Rocky Moutain States, and quite a few of us are there. That is actually the most active place that I know of.

If you are into competition, I can probably steer you to some places depending on what it is you are looking for.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Bozeman, MSU etc.

I travel to Bozeman a couple of times a year to visit my daughter who attends MSU. I have yet to have any issues carrying in and around Bozeman. Neither has my daughter. She now lives off campus and has a Sig 239 to carry.

EMNofSeattle

I've never been as far East as Bozeman, but I have OCed in Montana, I've OCed in downtown Missoula, and in several towns on the I-90 corridor such as Frenchtown, Alberton, etc and in Phillipsburg, Drummond, and several other towns. I've also carried concealed around nine mile creek (you need no license to CC as long as you're outside city limits or the confines of a logging, mining, or railroading camp)

Montana is very OC friendly, my only encounter with LE was a sheriff's deputy who told me all about his Nostalgia for the model 10's his department used to carry after he saw my holstered S&W Mod 10.

It was actually pretty great, I love OCing, just Washington won't let me do it for another year (not yet 21) but I did OC and love it in Montana where I was ok to do so at 18.

Last edited:

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
It was actually pretty great, I love OCing, just Washington won't let me do it for another year (not yet 21) but I did OC and love it in Montana where I was ok to do so at 18.

You can Open Carry at the age of 14 in Montana (Federal laws apply).

Kovernm

Thanks for the info everyone. Back in Michigan there is the Michigan Coalition of Responsible Gun owners or MCRGO. They are a legal organization that works kinda like the NRA but locally. They also had a chat forum to share story's of Leo interactions or places that do not respect our rights. Was trying to see if you had anything like that.

MontanaCZ

For the local state stuff we have the Montana Shooting Sports Assoc. www.mtssa.org that does an immense amount of work here in the state. There is no forum there though. Still the best place that is sort of local for chatting is the AR15.com -> Rocky Mountain States. If you happen to come across a better spot, please let us me know because I would like one.