Thread: Open Carrying at 21

Open Carrying at 21

I am a new member and a new gun owner who would prefer to open carry however I have heard some negative feedback about younger people open carrying. I would just like to know if their are some others here in the charlotte area who are my age and open carry and how they have been treated. Also if you have any tips on it you could share with me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XDMgunner7 View Post
    I am a new member and a new gun owner who would prefer to open carry however I have heard some negative feedback about younger people open carrying. I would just like to know if their are some others here in the charlotte area who are my age and open carry and how they have been treated. Also if you have any tips on it you could share with me.

Thanks
    I am 22, Live in Charlotte, And have been Open Carrying for a little over 2 months. I have owned my Beretta PX4 FS. 45 since i turned 21 as it was the first thing i bought. I carry to Walmart, Target, Harris Teeter, Guitar Center, Garden Center, Home Depot, Lowes, Bi-Lo, Autozone, Advance Auto, Petsmart, Best Buy, and i'm sure i'm missing a few others. No issues so far, no one says anything, no one even notices it seems. I've lived in Charlotte my whole life, so i know it very well, but you have to consider that it does vary from area to area how much people notice. In South Charlotte, no problems so far.

Bi-Lo is marked as a gun free zone. Be aware. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42576b29-9787-5563.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	9394

Open Carrying at 21

Looks as if they don't want anyone to see that fine print.
    I can see why it gets overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt2908 View Post
    Looks as if they don't want anyone to see that fine print.
    I can see why it gets overlooked.
    Yeah i OCed in there a couple weeks back in and out, didn't even go to the register(their prices are terrible). So i walked out. Read about that fine print sign on here just a few days after. That is a really snide way of saying no Weapons, they wont receive my business any longer.

Thanks for the info I decided to give it a go and went to tire kingdom and a few places a few looks but no big problem hope it continues.

I'll be moving down there after christmas, across the street from UNCC, and you bet anytime I'm not on campus I'll be open carrying
    where i'm legally allowed to of course

Quote Originally Posted by spinks8824 View Post
    I'll be moving down there after christmas, across the street from UNCC, and you bet anytime I'm not on campus I'll be open carrying
    where i'm legally allowed to of course
    Please do. I really want people in Charlotte to get more used to LAC open carrying. This way it's not such a shock to them when they see someone with a gun on their side. I have no had any problems and it seems others in Charlotte haven't either. But only getting more people out there OCing will really make the difference!

I'm 21, been OC'ing for a few months now everywhere I go. No negative experiences yet

knowing that legal OC age in NC is 18. there should be no problems with OC at 21

but know that there are people who will give you a hard time from 18 to 80. you might be harassed by civilians and LEOs alike,

but know your laws. know your surroundings. learn how to handle both. if you are some kind hot head you shouldn't be carrying. keep a good attitude and be friendly, fair, but firm in what you do and believe
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

I say, If your open carrying, EXPECT to be stopped by citizens and LEO's for questions or just plain curiosity. If you don't know how to handle conversations with strangers or are very shy, OC might not be for you. But if you are well versed, know the laws in your area, and can have a mature conversation with the other party, then you are golden.

Always good to play scenarios over in your head and try and practice what you would say if you are confronted by law enforcement, or a very angry and/or Anti-Gun citizen.

Age makes no difference when Carrying, it's the mentality. I've met some 30 and 40 year old who are so immature i can't stand to be around them. Then I've also met some like-minded people around my age that are very mature and experienced for their age. So play yours cards right, BE VERY AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS, and you should have no real problems at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Steveboos View Post
    Please do. I really want people in Charlotte to get more used to LAC open carrying. This way it's not such a shock to them when they see someone with a gun on their side. I have no had any problems and it seems others in Charlotte haven't either. But only getting more people out there OCing will really make the difference!
    I sure am, as well as my 2 roomates who OC's daily

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    knowing that legal OC age in NC is 18. there should be no problems with OC at 21

but know that there are people who will give you a hard time from 18 to 80. you might be harassed by civilians and LEOs alike,

but know your laws. know your surroundings. learn how to handle both. if you are some kind hot head you shouldn't be carrying. keep a good attitude and be friendly, fair, but firm in what you do and believe
    Well said!

Lannie
    GRNC Member and volunteer, NRA member and volunteer. Open Carry Advocate
    Triangle Open Carry Co-Organizer: Co-Chairman Johnston county Friends of the NRA.