• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I am considering curbside voting... thoughts?

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
§ 18.2-308.1. Possession of firearm, stun weapon, or other weapon on school property prohibited...

...The provisions of this section shall not apply to ...(vii) a person who has a valid concealed handgun permit and possesses a concealed handgun while in a motor vehicle in a parking lot, traffic circle, or other means of vehicular ingress or egress to the school. For the purposes of this paragraph, "weapon" includes a knife having a metal blade of three inches or longer and "closed container" includes a locked vehicle trunk.
- - - -

Looking at the above code.. could a gun owner, with permit, carrying concealed.. pull up to the school, and say to the electoral rep at the school "I am not able to get out of the car and would like to curbside vote" (which is offered to both elderly and people "that can't get out of their car") and curbside vote without violating any law?

Thanks,

Ed

EMNofSeattle

I would rather they just use Sonics for the voting precinct, then I could pull up, curbside vote, and have a bacon cheeseburger w/ a milkshake while voting. You're on to something there. Plus there is no gun free sonics zone act

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
§ 18.2-308.1. Possession of firearm, stun weapon, or other weapon on school property prohibited...

...The provisions of this section shall not apply to ...(vii) a person who has a valid concealed handgun permit and possesses a concealed handgun while in a motor vehicle in a parking lot, traffic circle, or other means of vehicular ingress or egress to the school. For the purposes of this paragraph, "weapon" includes a knife having a metal blade of three inches or longer and "closed container" includes a locked vehicle trunk.
- - - -

Looking at the above code.. could a gun owner, with permit, carrying concealed.. pull up to the school, and say to the electoral rep at the school "I am not able to get out of the car and would like to curbside vote" (which is offered to both elderly and people "that can't get out of their car") and curbside vote without violating any law?

Thanks,

Ed

Hmmm. This is interesting, Ed.

What is the statute regarding curbside voting, specifically the part that pertains to folks who cannot get out of their car?

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Hmmm. This is interesting, Ed.

What is the statute regarding curbside voting, specifically the part that pertains to folks who cannot get out of their car?

In a general sense the Americans with Disabilities Act requires reasonable accomodation of disabled persons. so they may offer curbside voting for those covered by ADA, however if they do in fact offer it to disabled people it's certainly worth it to try.

The real problem here is that the no guns on school premises law seems to apply all the time. they should limit it to during school hours only IMHO

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

- - - -

Thanks,

Ed

Yeah...good thinking Ed. As a matter of fact, maybe you could get a bill introduced that would allow CHP holders to vote twice.:uhoh:

Bob1

Yeah...good thinking Ed. As a matter of fact, maybe you could get a bill introduced that would allow CHP holders to vote twice.:uhoh:

PN, we Germans have a very à propos word which describes your delight in tweaking Ed's nose on a regular basis perfectly:

Böse

Good thing he's so thick skinned; otherwise, he'd feel unloved. :rolleyes:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
PN, we Germans have a very à propos word which describes your delight in tweaking Ed's nose on a regular basis perfectly:

Böse

Good thing he's so thick skinned; otherwise, he'd feel unloved. :rolleyes:

Ed is a rock. Otherwise I'd be more gentle. Teasing bounces off like .40 bullets!:p
:D
Bose...Now that explains why those German fellows were chasing me. I thought they were SPEAKER salesmen. I always wondered why they had those wooden stakes.:eek:

Last edited:

1911 Enthusiast

Thick skin? Surely you jest. Even sidekick Brian couldn't say that with a straight face without cracking up. :)

And bullets bouncing off? What are you doing Peter, angling for an EM title? :eek:

TFred

According to an SBE website, you must be disabled:

TFred

Is curbside voting still available for those who wish to use it?

Yes, curbside voting is still available for people ages 65 and older, or any person with a disability. The voter shall be afforded every opportunity to vote in a private and independent fashion, but voting equipment must remain in the view of the election officers.

TFred

Here is the direct link to the Absentee Ballot application. Page 3 has the official list of reasons. You must choose one of those reasons on the application.

TFred

http://www.sbe.virginia.gov/Files/Forms/VoterForms/ABApplication.pdf

Code Reason
1A Student
1B Spouse of student
1C Business
1D Personal business or vacation
1E I am working and commuting to/from home for 11 or more
hours between 6:00 AM and 7:00 PM on Election Day
1F I am a first responder (member of law enforcement,
fire fighter, emergency technician, search and rescue)
2A My disability or illness
2B I am primarily and personally responsible for the care of a
disabled/ill family member confined at home
2C My pregnancy
3A Confined, awaiting trial
3B Confined, convicted of a misdemeanor
4A An electoral board member, registrar, officer of election,
or custodian of voting equipment
5A I have a religious obligation
6A Active Duty Merchant Marine or Armed Forces
6B Spouse or dependent living with a member of 6A
6C Temporarily residing outside of US
6D Temporarily residing outside of US for employment or
spouse or dependent residing with employee
7A Requesting a ballot for presidential and vice-presidential
electors only (Ballots for other offices/issues will not be sent)
8A Designated representative of candidate or party inside polls

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Here is the direct link to the Absentee Ballot application. Page 3 has the official list of reasons. You must choose one of those reasons on the application.

TFred

http://www.sbe.virginia.gov/Files/Forms/VoterForms/ABApplication.pdf

Code Reason
1A Student
1B Spouse of student
1C Business
1D Personal business or vacation
1E I am working and commuting to/from home for 11 or more
hours between 6:00 AM and 7:00 PM on Election Day
1F I am a first responder (member of law enforcement,
fire fighter, emergency technician, search and rescue)
2A My disability or illness
2B I am primarily and personally responsible for the care of a
disabled/ill family member confined at home
2C My pregnancy
3A Confined, awaiting trial
3B Confined, convicted of a misdemeanor
4A An electoral board member, registrar, officer of election,
or custodian of voting equipment
5A I have a religious obligation
6A Active Duty Merchant Marine or Armed Forces
6B Spouse or dependent living with a member of 6A
6C Temporarily residing outside of US
6D Temporarily residing outside of US for employment or
spouse or dependent residing with employee
7A Requesting a ballot for presidential and vice-presidential
electors only (Ballots for other offices/issues will not be sent)
8A Designated representative of candidate or party inside polls

1C and 1D pretty much give anyone a pass TFred.

1911 Enthusiast

Sounds like a curbside voting request would be a real stretch (without perjuring yourself) if the only reason was to not disarm.

This election is going to be close in VA and I don't want to take a chance of having my vote disallowed over some gun-related technicality if SBE is taking an anti-gun stand at the polling places. I think VCDL has put out the word that carrying is not illegal at the polls (as long as it's not a gun-free zone) but that's just a lawyer's interpretation which won't hold any water on voting day at the local precinct level if SBE has put out guidance to the contrary. Unless there's something more definitive before the 6th, I plan on disarming to ensure my vote gets counted without incident.

Any VA poll workers here on the forum who've received training for the upcoming voting day and can weigh in with what was briefed regarding firearms at their location?

cptstoney

twisiting the rules so you dont have to dis-arm is wrong, morally and ethically.

i work with people who can't get out of their bed much less a car, you are doing them a dis-service by playing the system like that.

TFred

twisiting the rules so you dont have to dis-arm is wrong, morally and ethically.

i work with people who can't get out of their bed much less a car, you are doing them a dis-service by playing the system like that.
I think you misunderstand the motive here.

The OP is not trying to "play" anything. He is simply trying to exercise his constitutional right to vote as an armed, law-abiding citizen.

The entire premise of this discussion is whether or not the accommodations that have been made for disabled persons might also accommodate his desire to thwart the government's illegal attempt to deprive him of his right to vote.

The government is in the wrong here, not the law abiding citizens who have the right to vote.

TFred

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I am not even going to do it.. just trying to figure if the law would allow it.. it looks like it would.

Ed

I agree it would allow it. The question that comes to mind is....Is curbside voting mandated or is it just an option some polling places offer arbitrarily. If the latter, they cold refuse.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I think you misunderstand the motive here.

The OP is not trying to "play" anything. He is simply trying to exercise his constitutional right to vote as an armed, law-abiding citizen.

The entire premise of this discussion is whether or not the accommodations that have been made for disabled persons might also accommodate his desire to thwart the government's illegal attempt to deprive him of his right to vote.

The government is in the wrong here, not the law abiding citizens who have the right to vote.

TFred

And, even if he was trying to play "the system", its not like "the system" is playing fair. Lets count the ways: law against CC without permit, laws against guns in schools creating an environment of defenseless teachers, arbitrary rule by election board that no guns are allowed in polling place.