• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Boyfriend tells police he fatally shot girlfriend after mistaking her for int

Save Our State

Can we please self-moderate and not post gun news stories that have no immediate relevance to open carry?

All events such as this will be used against open carriers. Remember that ridiculous video in circulation during the AB144 campaign? It was right along this same line. Trigger happy gun owner/carrier with quick access to their guns, frightened into making a terrible decision

Ca Patriot

Yeah, lets only talk about open carry in California in this subsection.

How about everyone share their handgun open carry stories in the last year.........Condition Three, you go first.......

EMNofSeattle

He'll probably plead out to a manslaughter charge.

I doubt he's going to argue justifiable homicide, he seems from the story to be feel very guilty over the incident and has talked to the cops without a lawyer.

davidmcbeth

Banned
All the article states is a snippet of information. I would like to see more before offering up a quick opinion.

It could be he announced he had a gun and would shoot unless she identified herself.

It could be murder.

Lets wait until more information is known.

Certainly not good that a woman died.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Please be sure to review the forum rules.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

•(8) KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge". Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.

•(20) DISRUPTIVE POSTERS WILL BE BANNED: We have struggled over how to address posters who do not significantly break any of the forum rules but whose very presence is disruptive to the forum and to the mission of OpenCarry.org. The result of our deliberations is that we reserve the right to ban anyone, at any time if we determine that you fall into this category. We believe strongly that the internet should foster open dialog but we also need to maintain the forum as a valuable resource for new members and the general public. Any action that threatens this mission could lead to disciplinary action, including being banned.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Involuntary manslaughter. He meant to shoot something that he failed to even identify. We simply cannot allow that type of stupidity, carelessness, and fear to go unpunished.

Yeah! Lets punish them! That'll teach them far better than educating or training the public on how to handle tactical situations in their home! And, when that doesn't work, then we can get busy banning guns because the punishment-only model didn't work.

Save Our State

Yeah! Lets punish them! That'll teach them far better than educating or training the public on how to handle tactical situations in their home! And, when that doesn't work, then we can get busy banning guns because the punishment-only model didn't work.

Training and education are available. We always go around saying we should enforce the laws we already have as opposed to making new ones. If we become apologists for the fools who shoot first and ask questions later, we will prove ourselves to be the gun lobbyist that our detractors make us out to be

WalkingWolf

IMO they should do a thorough investigation, then decide how to proceed. At this point I can't see the productivity of throwing this guy in prison if he is telling the truth. Stuff happens, that will never change, at this point it is hard to say what should or should not be done with him is hard to say, at least for me.

Save Our State

IMO they should do a thorough investigation, then decide how to proceed. At this point I can't see the productivity of throwing this guy in prison if he is telling the truth. Stuff happens, that will never change, at this point it is hard to say what should or should not be done with him is hard to say, at least for me.

Uh....he said he fired at a shadow or silhouett. How many times have you been either of those in your life. You don't see criminal negligence there?

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Uh....he said he fired at a shadow or silhouett. How many times have you been either of those in your life. You don't see criminal negligence there?

It does not matter what you or I see. It matters what the police, and prosecutor see, and maybe a jury. Our POTUS has been responsible for killing hundreds of innocent children and women, do you see criminal negligence?

It may very well turn out this is a murder case, then a couple years in prison would not be appropriate. But sure act now let him get off with a couple years and be forgotten. At this point evidence is needed, and then the appropriate people can make a decision.

Save Our State

It may very well turn out this is a murder case, then a couple years in prison would not be appropriate. But sure act now let him get off with a couple years and be forgotten. At this point evidence is needed, and then the appropriate people can make a decision.

I won't disagree with that. Just had to refute the " tragic accident" defense that was floated

KYGlockster

Activist Member

I guess the moderators should just close this sub-forum then since there will be nothing to talk about come January, right? Why don't you allow the moderators to determine what they will allow -- since this is their forum and not your own -- since that is their choice to make and not yours.

This thread is relevant to firearms in the fullest, and the man was "openly carrying" his firearm at the time of shooting, so how could you argue otherwise?

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Not necessarily.

We can't look at these things from the viewpoint of someone who is trained, and then forget the length and breadth of human emotion and attitude. First, we can come up with the wrong answers. But, even more important in my mind, we can hand the government more power to cage people. Also, I am especially wary of the whole "carrying a gun is an awesome responsibility" thing. Far too often in our society responsibility is put across as blame or a way to avoid blame ("you had better do this or you will be held responsible for any negative outcome!"). Any particular self-defense angle or tactic being put across by a gun guru or self-defense expert is only as good as that instructor's judgement. I'm not willing to take a dictum, for example, "you are responsible for every shot you fire", and use it to hang everyone.

I recall a very good example of mis-used responsibility. In Mas Ayoob's video Judicious Use of Deadly Force, he repeatedly uses the awesome-responsibility angle and the you'll-be-hanged angle. His belief that his students are irresponsible adolescents who need to be hammered and scared positively pours out as an undercurrent from some of his comments. OK, am I supposed to suddenly adopt his attitude just because he thinks he needs to approach his students that way in order to get them to act responsibly?

Do you see what I am getting at? If we take an instructor's principles that include heavy weight on the responsibility angle as a student scare tactic, and turn around and apply them to everybody, we may condemn people who don't deserve it.

Back to human emotion and attitude. In the OP situation, I can easily see an untrained person in such a situation. I can also easily see a scaredy-cat person in such a situation. You know, such people do exist. Not everybody has the nerves of Audy Murphy or John Basilone. Reason deserts them in times of heavy stress. Some of us are basically saying that if such a person is untrained--meaning his never been taught the possibilities in such an encounter--he now has to think up those possibilities at exactly the time his reason is deserting him, at exactly the time his whole attention is fixed on that sound down the corridor in high fear, his ability to think frozen.

There is a big wide difference between an untrained scaredy-cat's mistake and somebody who celebrates in the street and fires into the air.

Last edited: