• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

On carrying...

Strike

“As a gun owner, you have to be cool-headed, moreso than the police ever have to be.

And you do not ever run around pretending to be the police while carrying a gun because then **** like this can happen.

You do not start ****, act aggressively, flip the bird, roll your eyes, talk ****, or even raise your voice. To anyone. Ever.

A combat instructor (who happened to be Buddhist and a Marine) once said to me: “From now on, when dealing with (ed.) crazy / possibly violent people, you will lose every argument. You are always wrong. You are sorry for impinging on their day. You will apologize and apologize again. You will back the **** down. You will put your tail between your legs. You will let them talk **** about your ladyfriend. You will let them call your mother a bitch and a ***** and your dad a bastard. You have no ego.”

“You do all this because if you are the one to start a fight, by default that fight now has a gun in it, and if you start losing, you’re going to pull it and kill him. And even if you don’t go to jail because you could convince the jury that it was self-defense, you’re going to have to live with the fact that you could have saved someone’s life and yet you let your ego kill someone. "You are not the police, so don't act like them. Though all of you [civilians] are better shots than the police, you do not have the training, the continuum of force policy, or a union plus free lawyers protecting you if you screw up. He also said: but after backing down and trying to apologize, if at any time you then feel your life or that of a loved one is in danger, put three rounds into his [cardiothoracic] vault, call the police, give a statement, go home, and sleep like a baby. You did all you could for your attacker, and he was the one that made the final decision to kill himself."

Sent from my iPhone.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
One of the better posts in some time.

Ego gets the best of all of us from time to time. More so for some than others.

This is a technique I have used in retail with customers when they get mad. Take the blame, be at fault and walk away.

amlevin

Did anybody not already know this?

Apparently there are lots that don't know this. Almost every day there's an article in the paper or a story on the Evening News that shows not every gun owner knows and understands this.

For every "bozo" that owns a gun and pulls some stupid stunt, hundreds of other gun owners that carry and use their firearms responsibly get a stroke from the famous paint brush. The majority suffers from the acts of a few dumbasses.

OC for ME

So many ***** words. Why do folks think that ***** words lend greater credence to their argument. They should use ________ so that the reader can insert their own words.

sudden valley gunner

Would all this apply if you carried had bat in your hand? A cast iron frying pan a knife in your pocket?

It is a good reminder to remain calm, but I am not a believer in a total personality change because you exercise your rights.

Lot's of people argue without resorting to violence, lots of people fist fight without pulling weapons they own out and killing each other.

Metalhead47

Would all this apply if you carried had bat in your hand? A cast iron frying pan a knife in your pocket?

It is a good reminder to remain calm, but I am not a believer in a total personality change because you exercise your rights.

Lot's of people argue without resorting to violence, lots of people fist fight without pulling weapons they own out and killing each other.

Here in the Real World, if you carry a gun, you are "different." There are all sorts of expectations and stereotypes foisted upon you. You can wish all you want that it were not so, and it SHOULD not be so, but that doesn't change the reality. As a gun carrier, and especially as an OPEN carrier, you must be beyond reproach. You must be a shining example of citizenship and calm rationality. As its often said by "our side," those licensed to carry are THE MOST law-abiding of law abiding citizens, and we must do our best to reflect that when out there amongst the "normal people."

Why?

Because if we do not, we play right into the hands & rhetoric of the enemy. "You see?? You see?? That crazy gun-toting extremist lunatic picked a fight with that guy just so he could shoot him! We can't let unstable people like that just walk around on the street! There must be laws! There must be more police! Someone ELSE must protect us!"

Yes, it may suck, but it IS the current reality. You can wish it away all you want, but you must still acknowledge it. Unarmed people have more cultural freedom, BECAUSE they are unable to defend themselves, even if THEY start the fight.

mlr

I choose to avoid situations where violence might happen when at all possible. Someone calls me or my loved ones names and I will walk away id given the chance. Something I never did before I mellowed out in my old age.
Its not that I'm afraid I might use it on them so much as the thought that I might be making a weapon available to them during the scuffle or argument.

Michael

rapgood

I choose to avoid situations where violence might happen when at all possible. Someone calls me or my loved ones names and I will walk away if given the chance. Something I never did before I mellowed out in my old age.
Michael
+1

EMNofSeattle

I choose to avoid situations where violence might happen when at all possible. Someone calls me or my loved ones names and I will walk away id given the chance. Something I never did before I mellowed out in my old age.
Its not that I'm afraid I might use it on them so much as the thought that I might be making a weapon available to them during the scuffle or argument.

Michael

+2

TechnoWeenie

“As a gun owner, you have to be cool-headed, moreso than the police ever have to be.

Damnit!

I was so looking forward to shooting someone taking their wallet out of their pocket, or handing someone a Hershey's bar...

Even moreso towards tasing blind people in wheelchairs.

Take all my fun away why dontcha!

bmg50cal

“Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.”
― Albert Einstein

“We may have found a cure for most evils; but we have found no remedy for the worst of them all, the apathy of human beings.”
― Helen Keller

“If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.”
― Albert Einstein

“The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

“Active Evil is better than Passive Good.”
― William Blake

“A man does what he must -- in spite of personal consequences, in spite of obstacles and dangers, and pressures -- and that is the basis of all human morality.”
― John Kennedy

“Better to fight for something than live for nothing.”
― George S. Patton

“Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.”
― Mark Twain

“Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often.”
― Mark Twain

“The superior man acts before he speaks, and afterwards speaks according to his action.”
― Confucius

“The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.”
― Albert Einstein

“All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
― Edmund Burke

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Cubex DE

OK, so there has been a lot of talk in this thread about being held to a higher standard, society putting us under a microscope, etc.

Let me just say one thing: we should be holding ourselves to a higher standard than society does in the first place.

Society thinks it's OK for 14-year-olds to get pregnant, and the appropriate response is to give them a TV show. Society thinks it is funny, not tragic, when a celebrity marries for money (millions of dollars, no less) and gets divorced less than 3 months later, taking the winnings with them. Society has pretty low standards for what is acceptable and right.

We should NOT strive to achieve these standards. We should strive to leave them in the dust.

If we are not already holding ourselves to a high standard, if we are no already examining our own actions under a microscope, we are simply not responsible enough to be carrying firearms. I agree with a point SVG said, that we shouldn't need to undergo a total personality change just because we choose to exercise a right. That being said, we should already have a personality that puts us ten steps above where the rest of society has stooped to.

Someone said that gun carriers are the most law abiding of law abiding citizens. We should also be the most morally upright of morally upright citizens... but not because we carry guns.

Metalhead47

OK, so there has been a lot of talk in this thread about being held to a higher standard, society putting us under a microscope, etc.

Let me just say one thing: we should be holding ourselves to a higher standard than society does in the first place.

Society thinks it's OK for 14-year-olds to get pregnant, and the appropriate response is to give them a TV show. Society thinks it is funny, not tragic, when a celebrity marries for money (millions of dollars, no less) and gets divorced less than 3 months later, taking the winnings with them. Society has pretty low standards for what is acceptable and right.

We should NOT strive to achieve these standards. We should strive to leave them in the dust.

If we are not already holding ourselves to a high standard, if we are no already examining our own actions under a microscope, we are simply not responsible enough to be carrying firearms. I agree with a point SVG said, that we shouldn't need to undergo a total personality change just because we choose to exercise a right. That being said, we should already have a personality that puts us ten steps above where the rest of society has stooped to.

Someone said that gun carriers are the most law abiding of law abiding citizens. We should also be the most morally upright of morally upright citizens... but not because we carry guns.

8u5y8yda.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sudden valley gunner

Here in the Real World, if you carry a gun, you are "different." There are all sorts of expectations and stereotypes foisted upon you. You can wish all you want that it were not so, and it SHOULD not be so, but that doesn't change the reality. As a gun carrier, and especially as an OPEN carrier, you must be beyond reproach. You must be a shining example of citizenship and calm rationality. As its often said by "our side," those licensed to carry are THE MOST law-abiding of law abiding citizens, and we must do our best to reflect that when out there amongst the "normal people."

Why?

Because if we do not, we play right into the hands & rhetoric of the enemy. "You see?? You see?? That crazy gun-toting extremist lunatic picked a fight with that guy just so he could shoot him! We can't let unstable people like that just walk around on the street! There must be laws! There must be more police! Someone ELSE must protect us!"

Yes, it may suck, but it IS the current reality. You can wish it away all you want, but you must still acknowledge it. Unarmed people have more cultural freedom, BECAUSE they are unable to defend themselves, even if THEY start the fight.

Here in the real world I act myself, I don't change my behavior because I put on a gun.

Who said anyone must be beyond reproach and a shining example, OC'ing is about normalizing open carry.

Let me be clear I am not advocating being a jerk in public.

I am saying lets not fall into the trap of judging others because of what anti's might feel about gun carriers. You see when you have to change your behavior for others perception they win!

Nowhere did I advocate picking a fight. Like I said the OP's post is a good reminder.

Michael

I do too, I was screamed at and yelled at by a lady this summer, I had the right away she had decided she was going to go anyway, I stopped to let her go and avoid a crash, she decided to stop and give me her peice of mind. I drove off smiling, my son asked "Why didn't you tell her off? You were right", I told him what does it matter we know who would win that fight, let's be the better people.

Last edited: