• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Action Item: Support Sporting Clays Range at Orapax Farm in Goochland

67GT390FB

nevermind, just got word the hearing is delayed until november due to the sound study not being completed. but please go ahead and write a letter supporting the range recommend we leave out referencing anti gun opposition instead focus on tax dollars coming to the county.

Ok anyone in the Richmond area that wants another place to go and have fun shooting sporting clays needs to send and email(commsioners addresses are listed below) to the Goochland County Planning Commission. Even better would be to attend their meeting this Thursday at 6:30pm 1800 Sandy Hook Road, Goochland, Virginia 23063. The anti's are out in force but in stealth mode see the email I have attached.I received the email from a friend that lives in the Orapax neighborhood.
At the last meeting all the opposition was very conspicuous in announcing their support of the 2nd amendment. Well if you are pro 2nd why refer to those who want the range as "shooting rights people" that makes those opposing the range "anti shooting rights people" doesn't it?

planning commision email addresses:

atkinson5150@aol.com; TQuerry@s3integration.com; derekmurray1@yahoo.com; Andrews804@aol.com; cghyers24@comcast.net; md.brewery@gmail.com; medsab@aol.com

email from the anti's in opposition to the range:(obnoxious part large bolded)

Goochland County VA To Hear Application for Clay Shooting Range – Support Needed

Posted by Ammoland under Clay Target Shooting, Competitive Shooting News, Shooting Ranges, Virginia, Virginia Shooting Sports Association, VSSA (Comments Off)

Orapax Range Before Goochland Planning Commission Again Public Hearing Scheduled for October 18 at 6:30 PM

Joanne Baldwin sent this link to Deita--Once again those from outside the county are trying to persuade our county government to allow something that would destroy the peace of our neighborhood. Last time, we got there early, so that we took up most of the seats in the room and the shooting rights people had to sit in overflow. Let's do it again! The meeting starts at 6:30PM on Thursday. Let's get there around 5:30 so that our side can all get a seat in the main room.

Here is the letter from the VA Shooting Sports Association:

Virginia Shooting Sports Association

Virginia - -(Ammoland.com)- The Goochland Planning Commission has scheduled a second public hearing on Orapax’s application for a special use permit to have a sporting clays range on their nearly 700 acre hunting preserve.

The meeting will be held on October 18th at 6:30 PM in the Board meeting room in the Goochland County Administration Building located at 1800 Sandy Hook Road, Goochland, VA.

The last public hearing on the matter saw an overflow crowd attend, many supporting Andrew and Nancy Dykers request to allow a sporting clays range on their property. We need another large showing of support as the other side is well organized and financed by a local land owner who has opposed every request by the Dykers related to the Orapax property in the past. Those speaking against the proposal at the last meeting sited concerns related to increased noise that would hinder the enjoyment of their property. The commission requested a new noise assessment and deferred their decision. It should be noticed however that the nearest neighbor lives a mile from the Orapax property.

If you are not able to attend the property, please contact the members of the planning commission and politely urge them to recommend approval of the Dykers request to the Board of Supervisors. Their contact information is below

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Makes sense. In the discussions between themselves, they wanted to wait until the leaves had fallen to do the test.

That still gives me time to do my own sound test.

67GT390FB

Makes sense. In the discussions between themselves, they wanted to wait until the leaves had fallen to do the test.

That still gives me time to do my own sound test.

i believe it was just getting a tester out there and the results back before thursdays hearing not the county requiring the leaves be off the trees that is causing the delay.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
My sound meter came today. Now I have to get in touch with the owner and arrange for some shooting.

The Wolfhound

might I suggest...

Conduct the tests using high powered rifles and 3inch magnum shotgun shells (all PERFECTLY LEGAL throughout Goochland) then contrast it with 2 3/4 inch target loads such as will be used at the range. I suspect you will find target loads significantly less noisy. It could look like a concession on the part of the owner to "ONLY" use such quieter loads (as if he would want any other used anyway). Of course the NIMBY (not in my back yard) movement out there won't pay attention to actual tests but perhaps the Board of Supervisers will feel the need to actually be fair since they are being observed. Heaven help you if they think they can do it under the radar.

Docgmt

Goochland

I went to the Planning Commission hearing on the 18th just to see how things were being run. The anti crowd of 25 or so got up and walked out in mass as soon as the deferral was approved. The then held a 45 min long "meeting" in the hallway that was so noisy that they were interrupting the speaker talking to the board. Could have used your sound meter Mr Nap.

I am planning on putting together flyers to pass out around the county to get as many hunters to show for the Nov meeting as I can.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I went to the Planning Commission hearing on the 18th just to see how things were being run. The anti crowd of 25 or so got up and walked out in mass as soon as the deferral was approved. The then held a 45 min long "meeting" in the hallway that was so noisy that they were interrupting the speaker talking to the board. Could have used your sound meter Mr Nap.

I am planning on putting together flyers to pass out around the county to get as many hunters to show for the Nov meeting as I can.

Are you in Goochland?

Docgmt

Goochland Meeting Nov 15

All

It would be great to get a large group out for this meeting to support the shooting sports

The Planning Commission Meeting - 11/15/2012 7:00 PM
Planning Commission Meeting
Board Meeting Room (Room 250)
Goochland Administration Building