Thread: MSU gun policy.

MSU gun policy.

I read in another thread that MSU has decided to actually follow the constitution, and allow carry, is this true?, and what are the details on it?

Would they allow open carry (with CPL) in dormitories, and classrooms? And possession in dorm rooms?
    Last edited by Small_Arms_Collector; 10-16-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Small_Arms_Collector View Post
    I read in another thread that MSU has decided to actually follow the constitution, and allow carry, is this true?, and what are the details on it?

Would they allow open carry (with CPL) in dormitories, and classrooms? And possession in dorm rooms?
    Contrary to what their policy shows, they have said open carry is not allowed and people who do would be arrested. They allow CC on campus only. Venator had a lengthy dialog with them on the issue.
    Last edited by scot623; 10-16-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scot623 View Post
    Contrary to what their policy shows, they have said open carry is not allowed and people who do would be arrested. They allow CC on campus only. Venator had a lengthy dialog with them on the issue.
    Do they allow it in campus building now? I remember reading before that they allow it on campus, but not in the buildings.
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by scot623 View Post
    Contrary to what their policy shows, they have said open carry is not allowed and people who do would be arrested. They allow CC on campus only.Venator had a lengthy dialog with them on the issue.
    Is there any cite for this? Not trying to be an ass just wondered what the law/policy states.
    Last edited by WilDChilD; 10-16-2012 at 09:24 PM.

MSU gun policy.

Quote Originally Posted by WilDChilD View Post
    Is there any cite for this? Not trying to be an ass just wondered what the law/policy states.
    It could be argued the school ordinance, Which is available for all to read online, allows someone to carry. What is important here is private conversations had with MSU public safety. Given this it becomes an "OC at your own risk if you have the ability to fight it" situation.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Ordinances
    18.00 FIREARMS OR WEAPONS
    18.01 Possession prohibited; exceptions

.01 Except as permitted by state law regulating firearms, no person shall possess any firearm or weapon anywhere upon property governed by the Board. Persons residing on property governed by the Board shall store any and all firearms and weapons with the Department of Police and Public Safety.

http://trustees.msu.edu/ordinances/o...ces_sec18.html

MCL 28.425o

(1) Subject to subsection (5), an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from licensure under section 12a(1)(f), shall not carry a concealed pistol on the premises of any of the following:

(h) A dormitory or classroom of a community college, college, or university.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%2...me=mcl-28-425o

So, CC in dorms and classrooms not allowed by state law. MSU policy follows state law, so OC or CC other places is permitted. They have stated they do not want OC, but their official policy permits it. I OCed during the summer at MSU and had no issues, but that doesn't mean I or another wouldn't in the future. I only OCed outside on campus, not in any buildings.
    Last edited by griffin; 10-16-2012 at 10:29 PM.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams
    Wheels