• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MSU gun policy.

Small_Arms_Collector

I read in another thread that MSU has decided to actually follow the constitution, and allow carry, is this true?, and what are the details on it?

Would they allow open carry (with CPL) in dormitories, and classrooms? And possession in dorm rooms?

Last edited:

scot623

I read in another thread that MSU has decided to actually follow the constitution, and allow carry, is this true?, and what are the details on it?

Would they allow open carry (with CPL) in dormitories, and classrooms? And possession in dorm rooms?

Contrary to what their policy shows, they have said open carry is not allowed and people who do would be arrested. They allow CC on campus only. Venator had a lengthy dialog with them on the issue.

Last edited:

detroit_fan

Contrary to what their policy shows, they have said open carry is not allowed and people who do would be arrested. They allow CC on campus only. Venator had a lengthy dialog with them on the issue.

Do they allow it in campus building now? I remember reading before that they allow it on campus, but not in the buildings.

WilDChilD

Contrary to what their policy shows, they have said open carry is not allowed and people who do would be arrested. They allow CC on campus only.Venator had a lengthy dialog with them on the issue.

Is there any cite for this? Not trying to be an ass just wondered what the law/policy states.

Last edited:

TheQ

Is there any cite for this? Not trying to be an ass just wondered what the law/policy states.

It could be argued the school ordinance, Which is available for all to read online, allows someone to carry. What is important here is private conversations had with MSU public safety. Given this it becomes an "OC at your own risk if you have the ability to fight it" situation.

griffin

Ordinances
18.00 FIREARMS OR WEAPONS
18.01 Possession prohibited; exceptions

.01 Except as permitted by state law regulating firearms, no person shall possess any firearm or weapon anywhere upon property governed by the Board. Persons residing on property governed by the Board shall store any and all firearms and weapons with the Department of Police and Public Safety.

http://trustees.msu.edu/ordinances/ordinances_sec18.html

MCL 28.425o

(1) Subject to subsection (5), an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from licensure under section 12a(1)(f), shall not carry a concealed pistol on the premises of any of the following:

(h) A dormitory or classroom of a community college, college, or university.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(ru...eg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-28-425o

So, CC in dorms and classrooms not allowed by state law. MSU policy follows state law, so OC or CC other places is permitted. They have stated they do not want OC, but their official policy permits it. I OCed during the summer at MSU and had no issues, but that doesn't mean I or another wouldn't in the future. I only OCed outside on campus, not in any buildings.

Last edited: