Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A seemingly confused President Obama takes stand against gun owners during debate

A seemingly confused President Obama takes stand against gun owners during debate

When a question about guns was finally asked during tonightís town-hall style debate it was nothing more than yet another attempt to resurrect support for the so-called Ďassault weapons baní.

This question clearly played to the Presidentís ideology and he took the opportunity to reiterate his support for the failed Clinton-era policy despite his admission that the violence in our cities is not being caused by sporting firearms. Nonetheless, he assured the crowd that he wants to ban them.

He followed this up with a number of statements that seem to indicate that he doesnít even understand the difference between fully-automatic weapons and the semi-automatic sporting rifles that would actually be affected by the ban.

But donít take my word for it. Here are some of his comments:

Read more at http://monachuslex.com/?p=2161

Quote Originally Posted by John Pierce View Post
    When a question about guns was finally asked during tonightís town-hall style debate it was nothing more than yet another attempt to resurrect support for the so-called Ďassault weapons baní.

This question clearly played to the Presidentís ideology and he took the opportunity to reiterate his support for the failed Clinton-era policy despite his admission that the violence in our cities is not being caused by sporting firearms. Nonetheless, he assured the crowd that he wants to ban them.

He followed this up with a number of statements that seem to indicate that he doesnít even understand the difference between fully-automatic weapons and the semi-automatic sporting rifles that would actually be affected by the ban.

But donít take my word for it. Here are some of his comments:

Read more at http://monachuslex.com/?p=2161
    Ohio is a gun state, how could he be that stupid? Wisconsin, Colorado, PA, just what was he thinking?
    It is well that war is so terrible Ė otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Founder's Club Member
    John Pierce wrote: People may argue for days as to whether Romney or Obama won the debate but I do know who lost Ö the truth.

Obviously, politicians believe truth is a valuable resource---and are economizing on it. (Borrowed from Mark Twain's comment about liars.)
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Banned
    I believe in a total ban on guns, you know, those anti-tampering devices on script mediation so idiots who leave their meds on high chairs can feel safe knowing that they are idiots?

Thread number 3, and the comments in all three threads indicate the same thing, Obama is going to have it harder in gun states.

I can't believe he did that, embraced support for a law then admitted next sentence it wouldn't work
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

I think Obama made his intent very clear: not only does he want to reinstate the "Assault Weapons" ban, he clearly stated he thinks the real problem is handguns, and that is scary.

Quote Originally Posted by twpetry View Post
    I think Obama made his intent very clear: not only does he want to reinstate the "Assault Weapons" ban, he clearly stated he thinks the real problem is handguns, and that is scary.
    President Obama definitely didn't hide his view on Firearms, and AWB.

The President stated that self-defense is included under the purpose of the Second Amendment.

The thing about what he stated though, every person knows that he is not a friend to what he regards as Assault Weapons.--no shocker this evening in that arena. Also, what isn't a shocker, that Romney is just as anti Second Amendment and firearm stupid as the President.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

What Obama and Romney did not state is that we have a right to defend ourselves wherever we happen to be.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    It's incredible how you guys swallow the rhetoric.
    NEITHER party wants the populous to be as "armed" as the government who controls the populous.
    Last edited by twoskinsonemanns; 10-17-2012 at 10:55 PM. Reason: civility
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

If you had to keep track of THAT many lies, you'd be confused too.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [chuckle] You know, I think you have a point there.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Obama calls for reintroducing assault-weapons ban
    Associated Press Ė Tue, Oct 16, 2012

Link: http://news.yahoo.com/obama-calls-re...-election.html

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    What Obama and Romney did not state is that we have a right to defend ourselves wherever we happen to be.
    Because not every state government agrees.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Because not every state government agrees.
    Wrong.....every state agrees with self-defense. What all states do not agree upon is the "tool" used for self-defense.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    Perfect statement that covers a lot of politicians. It must be difficult to have so many people telling you what to say, then when people get angry that you said it, you switch sides... But Firearms don't cause issues, crazy people do...

1. Considering that one of Obama's financial backers is the notorious George Soros, I think it is safe to say that, should Obama be re-elected, we will shortly see an attempt to completely (not just "assault weapons") disarm the American citizenry.

2. I'm not too fond of Mitt Romney, but, of the two, he is probably much less anti-Second Amendment than is Obama. That considered, his stance as Governor of the state of Massachusetts was much less than stellar.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    1. Considering that one of Obama's financial backers is the notorious George Soros, I think it is safe to say that, should Obama be re-elected, we will shortly see an attempt to completely (not just "assault weapons") disarm the American citizenry.

2. I'm not too fond of Mitt Romney, but, of the two, he is probably much less anti-Second Amendment than is Obama. That considered, his stance as Governor of the state of Massachusetts was much less than stellar.
    Better to have your politicians piss high and fail to meet the mark than piss low and make their target.

If Obama is going to try and take all of our guns, he's not going to be successful. If Romney is going to take only some of our guns, he will be far more successful than Obama. Not just because the smaller baby steps are the most successful either, but also because he has the backing of a Republican majority as well. Something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Wrong.....every state agrees with self-defense. What all states do not agree upon is the "tool" used for self-defense.
    Some states require retreat when available. I guess that's a "tool," though...
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

You did note Obama said "CHEAP" handguns....so Jim Crow in chief wants another Jim Crow law that disenfranchises the poor. It's too bad Romney didn't pick up on that...but then he is an elitist himself.

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    You did note Obama said "CHEAP" handguns....so Jim Crow in chief wants another Jim Crow law that disenfranchises the poor. It's too bad Romney didn't pick up on that...but then he is an elitist himself.
    Not even Fox has picked up on it, for some reason the news is dodging his remarks. They also ignored the Crowley agreed with Romney that Obama tired to blame the youtube video for the attack for two weeks. Not seeing a big effort on the media to highlight Crowley admitted she screwed up.

BTW there is no such thing as cheap handguns, the least expensive I have seen is the nagant revolver, not heard of one used in a crime.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 10-18-2012 at 03:01 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible Ė otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

You are correct. sorros is pulling the strings and he is very dangerous. He needs a visit from the men in black. O a side note,I dont think Romney will push for more anti gun laws. The first thing is to get that POS out of office, then we will have something to work with.

One other comment while I'm thinking about it: If, and right now that is a very big IF, we do elect Romney, I hope we have the good sense to give him a Republican majority in both Houses of Congress.

People always want to blame the President, but, without the Congress to aid and abet, he can do nothing really drastic. Obama has issued more extra-legal edicts (as in un-Constitutional) than any other President in this old man's memory. What is rather surprising to me is that no one has challenged his edicts and "Czars" in the Supreme Court. I would think that there are several state governors who would have standing to pursue legal action against him.

But, then, I am not a lawyer nor do I want to become one (all respect to John Pierce - I'm just too damn old to go back to college!!).
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

[snippers]

People always want to blame the President, but, without the Congress to aid and abet, he can do nothing really drastic.[snippers].
    You are correct, that the President can do little without Congress.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

One other comment while I'm thinking about it: If, and right now that is a very big IF, we do elect Romney, I hope we have the good sense to give him a Republican majority in both Houses of Congress.

People always want to blame the President, but, without the Congress to aid and abet, he can do nothing really drastic. Obama has issued more extra-legal edicts (as in un-Constitutional) than any other President in this old man's memory. What is rather surprising to me is that no one has challenged his edicts and "Czars" in the Supreme Court. I would think that there are several state governors who would have standing to pursue legal action against him.

But, then, I am not a lawyer nor do I want to become one (all respect to John Pierce - I'm just too damn old to go back to college!!).
    That would be the WORST thing to do. The government needs to have balances...if the entire government is majority Republican and the President is also republican he can do mostly what ever he wants...and in this case..with a man like Romney who lies 99% of the time...and switches stances at every possible chance..he is definitely not someone I would want to have a lot of power behind him...hell for that matter I don't want him at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ADobbs1989 View Post
    That would be the WORST thing to do. The government needs to have balances...if the entire government is majority Republican and the President is also republican he can do mostly what ever he wants...and in this case..with a man like Romney who lies 99% of the time...and switches stances at every possible chance..he is definitely not someone I would want to have a lot of power behind him...hell for that matter I don't want him at all.
    Then vote for yourself.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast