Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helped BPD catch a fleeing home invader

Cool Helped BPD catch a fleeing home invader

Last night around 12:58 I was sitting at a red light on Beacon and Broadway heading northbound. I witnessed a BPD car pursuing 3 males on foot one block north. One of the suspects broke off and ran southbound right toward me. I felt semi obligated (moral standpoint) to assist. I went through the red light (streets were empty) and chased the male into the drive trough of Wendy's, he ran east about 150 yards, then cut south onto Longmont street. There is a partition on beacon that prevents you from heading southbound onto Longmont. I made a u turn and drive down Longmont. I had lost visual of the suspect but knew he was hidden somewhere on the west side of Longmont between Rossi and beacon. I phoned 911 and grabbed my Python, flashlight, and parked the car at longmont and Rossi. I searched on foot for about 45 seconds then 6 bpd cars and a K9 unit arrived. I holstered (with no instruction to do so from BPD) and helped them search. The canine located the suspect hiding in a bush on the south end of east gate optical. Diesel the dog (German Shepherd-Mallinois) screwed the guys leg up and bpd roughhoused the punk a bit. I drew my weapon when I heard the dog bite and the officer yell for assistance. BPD was extremely friendly and credited me with finding the doper. Turns out he was involved in an armed robbery home invasion near broadway. It seemed that BPD genuinely appreciated the help. The fact I had a gun didn't alarm them at all. No questions asked, handshakes all around. I'm glad the situation ended well for all of the good guys. I even got to give diesel a treat! It was something I will never forget.
    Last edited by Josh Marciel; 10-17-2012 at 12:19 AM.

Of course, no mention of the armed citizen helping...

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...=2AQEQWAJ_&s=1

Banned
    Then you found out he was your father ....... nooooooo!

Kidding.

Good for you .. nice to see the cops didn't shoot at you

NOOOOOOO

Haha, it was a very neat experience. Got a few looks from them but overall very positive. BPD +1

The canine located the suspect hiding in a bush on the south end of east gate optical. Diesel the dog (German Shepherd-Mallinois) screwed the guys leg up and bpd roughhoused the punk a bit.
    And none of this bothers you even a little bit?

Based on what you say, the mope needs to be off the street - possibly unril he needs a walker because of old age. But it just may be he will need a walker because of a dog bite that seems highly unjustified.

I can understand the cops being displeased at having to miss the hot donuts that were just coming out of the fryer, but they should not be taking it out on the mope.

In case there is any question, this is not a post running down the cops. It is a post chastizing the OP for his apparent lack of concern at the misconduct by the BPD - who apparently feel that the presence of a witness is not enough to temper their behavior.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

When they catch someone who is running from an armed home invasion and you don't do exactly what they say, I think its just cause for a stern ass beating.. Take your hands out of your pocket means TAKE YOUR HANDS OUT OF YOUR POCKET AND DO IT QUICKLY. Get out of that bush means GET OUT OF THE BUSH.

I wouldn't call it misconduct
    Last edited by Josh Marciel; 10-17-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Cool

The cops were just "beating the bushs" the perp just happened to be in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Marciel View Post
    When they catch someone who is running from an armed home invasion and you don't do exactly what they say, I think its just cause for a stern ass beating.. Take your hands out of your pocket means TAKE YOUR HANDS OUT OF YOUR POCKET AND DO IT QUICKLY. Get out of that bush means GET OUT OF THE BUSH.

"Tune him up."
    "Wood shampoo."
    "Teach him a little respect."
    "Contempt of Cop."

Sorry, there is NO justification for "streetside justice" regardless if the one doing the "justice" is wearing a badge, a hoodie, or a hooded white robe.

Helped BPD catch a fleeing home invader

Just going to play devil's advocate here. You pursued an unknown individual who you did not know whether or not they were armed. What exactly would have done if you had found him before the cops had got there? If you had shot him could that be considered self-defense because you pursued him when you had the opportunity to not be involved at all? It was an unnecessary risk with minimal potential reward for yourself.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Just going to play devil's advocate here. You pursued an unknown individual who you did not know whether or not they were armed. What exactly would have done if you had found him before the cops had got there? If you had shot him could that be considered self-defense because you pursued him when you had the opportunity to not be involved at all? It was an unnecessary risk with minimal potential reward for yourself.
    Sounds a lot like the Martin case in Florida doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    Sounds a lot like the Martin case in Florida doesn't it?
    I actually hadn't thought of it that way, but you make a solid observation.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

There is no "reward" for myself, if you think I did this because it makes my d*ck hard you're wrong. Society gained from it. It happened the way it did, 911 didn't tell me anything, the police didn't seem concerned. It ended well.

Also on the devils advocate side. Let's say you were the fleeing suspect and an unknown man runs up on you with a gun pointed at you... Does the suspect have reason to believe his life is in danger??? I would think so. That's why you should always be very careful if you draw. And be sure to process the situation before you act. You may lose everything because you thought you were doing the right thing but didn't know the whole situation. It's happened before to carriers.

At this point in time and the present state of affairs, I wouldn't recommend intervening unless there is blatant obvious threat to life happening. Even then...idk because you generally don't know the whole story.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

So you would have sat there idle while the police go after the other guys running the opposite direction...

So you would have sat there idle while the police go after the other guys running the opposite direction...
    Well with the foot chase as described, not really knowing the cause of the whole thing. With the threat of losing my whole financial future if I introduced force in a situation where I jumped in and it wasn't warranted. With the threat of overachieving prosecutors throwing charges out there just to harass people and make a point. Yea I probably would have passed.

A guy running from the Police is not likely to go quietly and nicely, and could have easily been hopped up on something. There was no obvious threat to life or limb. Let's say you found him and cornered him and he charged you? Then what...you fight him, shoot him, try to wrestle him to the ground??? Think about it, he is running from the Police, you think he will care about you if you confront him? I may possibly get injured in the process and maybe needing time off work, putting my affairs in jeopardy. All for what, a pat on the back? Nah sorry it's not worth the risk in that situation, to me. I have too much to lose to go jumping into someone's business.

I'm not saying you have to follow my opinion. I'm just saying you should really look and think hard beforehand and as you analyze the situation. Ask yourself do you want to insert yourself into it. Your not paid, protected or given lawful authority to apprehend people. If you cornered him and restrained him, he could easily file suit against you for false imprisonment or assault and win. It's been done many times, it's sad but true. I fear a screwed up system that prosecutes and convicts people who are trying to do the right thing.
    Last edited by Motofixxer; 10-18-2012 at 12:42 AM.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

There is no "reward" for myself, if you think I did this because it makes my d*ck hard you're wrong. Society gained from it. It happened the way it did, 911 didn't tell me anything, the police didn't seem concerned. It ended well.
    That is not what they are trying to tell you. YOU are not a cop, that is what they are trying to tell you. First off there is big problem that you lost sight of him, and you will be called to testify, and you will have to tell the court you lost sight. Had you shot him and he turned out to not be a criminal you would be screwed. Had he had a gun and you were chasing him with a gun, he may have been justified to shoot you. I helped police also when I was 17, before I became a police officer. But that was being a witness, and providing information that led to the capture of a suspect.

It is not wise to stick your nose in when you do not know what is going on, even though it turned out somewhat OK this time. Your weapon is for your self defense, not playing cop.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Motofixxer is right on the money with his response.

There are only a few circumstances where I would ever consider interjecting myself physically into any similar situation; First, if I came across a solitary uniformed cop who is being shot at. I'd verbally identify myself as an armed citizen, and ask if he required my assistance. Second, to diffuse an immediate threat to myself or any family with me. That is my short list.

I'm not saying if I witnessed a felony, that I wouldn't call the police. I certainly would, but I wouldn't place myself in any situation that could potentially go south for me. Not my job, or business. It is why we have essential services like police departments.

Obviously, there are exceptions; I see a naked guy with an axe chasing a woman down a street, I'd likely intervene to prevent her from being murdered.

We have to remember that as armed citizens when something goes wrong for one of us, it potentially impacts our entire community when the anti-people get a hold of it. The situation you described could have been seriously ugly.

You lucked out this time.
    Last edited by Tactical9mm; 10-18-2012 at 03:32 AM.
    Let a man never stir on his road a step without his weapons of war; for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise of a spear on the way without. -Hávamál 38

We are not trying to second guess you or Monday morning quarterback. We are on your side with this situation and I agree with you that sociaty would be better off if everyone looked out for everyone else.

The problem comes with chasing him down, gun drawn and all not being an officer.

I would suggest next time maybe discreatly follow him in your vehicle and call 911 informing them where the perp is or near. I would not suggest leaving your vehicle unless you need to assist a cop in subduing a suspect or a life is in danger. That being said you do what you think is right.

Glad everything worked out for you this time.

I just ran across this story from last year but it reiterates my point of one has to be very careful what he jumps into. The story is of a good Samaritan that saw a fight involving his neighbor, went to intervene and puts a guy in a choke hold (being a retired fighter). The guy getting choked was an NYPD officer and pulls a gun and killed the good Samaritan.

https://rt.com/usa/news/nypd-collado-killed-police-229/

i think it could have been handled different but im glad the guy was caught.

I think Doc said it best!
    If you feel the need to help (which I probably would too, just my personality, I followed a car once, called 911 and the police pulled them over and got the guy) do so in a safe, distant manner.
    Follow him in your car, call 911 and give accurate and detailed information, but don't get out and try and hunt the guy down yourself.

That being said, good job helping catch the guy. If we as "normal citizens" did more to protect and help the ones around us, the BG would eventually learn that "normal citizens" have had enough of being victimized and we will stick together to help each other.
    Last edited by Archerman99; 10-27-2012 at 10:42 AM.

McX
    i tend to leave policing to the police. they get paid for it, in the public venue of tend to be innocent of instigation, and retreat as life has shown me no good deed goes unpunished.

Activist Member

If you were the one that found him in the bushes and gave him a "stern as* beating," do you think the police would have allowed you to do so without arresting you? It is ok to use the amount of force necessary to arrest someone, but it is NOT ok to beat on someone just because he committed a home invasion (unless of course you were a resident at the home and he was still inside). This was probably someone that is addicted to some sort of narcotic and was trying to feed the habit. If we would treat these people instead of spending thousands of dollars to keep them in prison we would be doing society a great service; he could be a good guy when he isn't screwed up on dope. It is not a police officer's job to serve punishment; it is their job to arrest criminals and place them in jail for the justice system to deal with.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical9mm
    I see a naked guy with an axe chasing a woman down a street, I'd likely intervene to prevent her from being murdered.
    But only if he's naked?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    i tend to leave policing to the police. they get paid for it, in the public venue of tend to be innocent of instigation, and retreat as life has shown me no good deed goes unpunished.
    Not a big Spiderman fan I see

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast