Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sean combs lawsuit

Sean combs lawsuit

Person in Home Depot: "Do you really think you need that?"
    Me: "I hope not. But then again, I didn't need my seatbelt on the way here either."

I think 40k is pretty meager considering the crap the city and the cops put him through. Sounds as if he is true to his word that he's just about making the city say sorry and to pay his legal fees. Lots of people would go for six or seven figures.
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

Quote Originally Posted by HKcarrier View Post
    I think 40k is pretty meager considering the crap the city and the cops put him through. Sounds as if he is true to his word that he's just about making the city say sorry and to pay his legal fees. Lots of people would go for six or seven figures.
    I agree.

Same with Jeff's case in Warren. As a tax payer in Warren i'm glad he didn't go for the big bucks, but as a gun owner I wish he would have.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
    If that were me, the amount would be listed as 100 million.

How many times have we heard of cops joking about someone's rights.

Too many have no respect for them and these rights violating cops all across this nation need to be taught a lesson.

WE ARE NOT CRIMINALS! Don't fricken treat us like criminals.

You (cops) don't want to be lumped into the group of bad apples, THEN DON'T LUMP US INTO GROUP WITH THE CRIMINALS!
    Last edited by dougwg; 10-17-2012 at 10:39 AM.

Same here. I would have gone for $250,000
    Me: "I hope not. But then again, I didn't need my seatbelt on the way here either."

Excellent! Citizens being willing to press civil litigation over rights violations helps to keep abusive government in check.

Wishing you all the best, Sean! Take 'em to the cleaners. They've earned it.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Hello Michigan. I am in a similar suit with the city of bellingham in Washington State. I was victim #3. The first incident with LEOs was dropped. The second was settled out of court for a nominal amount of US$1500. It did not stop the local LEOs from harassing open carriers. I found out that the city does not pay out of taxpayer money. The surrounding cities have grouped together and pool their monies for lawsuit purposes.

"Knowledge is knowing the Fire will burn..........Wisdom is remembering the Blister!"

I have found that a "nominal amount" is not effective as a deterrent. My city has the Knowledge that OC is legal and is not going away. My city will remember the Blister this time.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Sean combs lawsuit

Quote Originally Posted by BulletFactory View Post
    Well said Doug. +1

You should consider using your post for a signature line.
    Welcome new poster who has 3 posts since yesterday when stainless1911 was banned.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    enjoy this thread while it lasts. i'm assuming big gay will be along to delete it since it's regarding LGOC
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Sean combs lawsuit

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    enjoy this thread while it lasts. i'm assuming big gay will be along to delete it since it's regarding LGOC
    The forum administration has been gracious on this case in the past.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

true, but there are new sheriffs in town now

The end result should be.

1. Legal fees

2. An appology (Public by the Chief and offending officers)

3. Enough money to get a new carry piece.

4. TRAINING FOR ALL LEO ABOUT OPEN CARRY.

Sean combs lawsuit

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post

1. Legal fees

They disparaged his reputation. There should be enough in there to compensate him for that also. Maybe a year or two of college.

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post

1. Legal fees

Still waiting for #4 in Warren, MI

The case was settled for a minimal sum with one of the stipulations being training.
    The info was given to the attorney months ago. Hope it happens soon!

FYI, so far as I can see, this thread has to do with a lawsuit that could have affected all open carriers. So far as I'm concerned, it's on topic. However, be aware other opinions may vary.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    true, but there are new sheriffs in town now
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wyatt-earp.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	9409

i'll be your huckleberry

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BulletFactory View Post
    Well said Doug. +1

You should consider using your post for a signature line.
    Good to see you extending the olive branch to Doug - Stainless. I hope you continue posting in a responsible manner. Everyone deserves a second chance, I guess. Carry on openly and safely.

ETA - If posible please post in the comments section of this story. It is already being over run by anti's.

http://troy.patch.com/articles/rifle...s-civil-rights

Snip - "Glenn
    9:20 am on Wednesday, October 17, 2012

$40,000 should buy him a nice used double-wide and a lifetime supply of "Don't Tread On Me" bumper stickers."
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 10-17-2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: snip

Sean combs lawsuit

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Carry on openly and safely.

And in a holster!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    They disparaged his reputation. There should be enough in there to compensate him for that also. Maybe a year or two of college.
    He would likely need to show a loss of income for slander/libel (if its even a possible cause of action) but he has none to speak of ...

For this particular lawsuit...

I think he should get the cops guns for the time period they kept his ...

Thumbs up

I would also recommend keeping it in the public eye(news-paper/tv etc.) as much as possible to educate our fellow citizens! CARRY ON Sean!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

Quote Originally Posted by G22 View Post
    Still waiting for #4 in Warren, MI

The case was settled for a minimal sum with one of the stipulations being training.
    The info was given to the attorney months ago. Hope it happens soon!
    I'll volunteer to train them. Though I doubt they actually intend to get any training.

Quote Originally Posted by HKcarrier View Post
    Same here, I wouldn't have gone for less than 10,000,000.

Lawsuit documents

This is the actual lawsuit filed. From what I gather is he is going over $75k. Sorry had to copy and paste....

SEAN COMBS, Plaintiff,
    v.
    CITY OF BIRMINGHAM,
    a municipal corporation,
    LIEUTENANT MICHAEL ALBRECHT,
    in his individual and official capacities, POLICE OFFICER REBEKAH SPRINGER, in her individual and official capacities, POLICE OFFICER GINA POTTS,
    in her individual and official capacities, jointly and severally,
    Defendants. ________________________________________/ Matthew S. Kolodziejski (P71068)
    Law Office of Matthew S. Kolodziejski, PLLC Attorney for Plaintiff
    500 Griswold Street, Suite 2340
    Detroit, MI 48226
    (586) 909-1696
    mattkolo@comcast.net ________________________________________/
    Case No. Hon.
    UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT EASTERN DISTRICT OF MICHIGAN SOUTHERN DIVISION
    There is no other civil action between these parties arising out of the same transaction or occurrence as alleged in this Complaint pending in this Court, nor has any such action been previously filed and dismissed or transferred after having been assigned to a judge.
    PLAINTIFF’S COMPLAINT AND JURY DEMAND
    NOW COMES the Plaintiff, Sean Combs, by and through his attorney, Matthew S. Kolodziejski, and hereby complains against the above-named Defendants as follows:
    JURISDICTION AND VENUE
    1) This is an action for monetary damages brought by the Plaintiff, Sean Combs (“Mr.
    2:12-cv-14528-VAR-MJH Doc # 1 Filed 10/12/12 Pg 2 of 11 Pg ID 2
    Combs”), against the above-named Defendants pursuant to 42 U.S.C §§ 1983, 1988.
    2) This Court has jurisdiction over Mr. Combs’ claims pursuant to 28 U.S.C. §§ 1331, 1343.
    3) Venue is properly brought in this court pursuant to 28 U.S.C. § 1391(b), as the
    Defendants all reside in, and the claims all arose in, the Eastern District of Michigan.
    4) The amount in controversy exceeds seventy-five thousand dollars ($75,000.00), exclusive
    of costs, interest, and attorney fees.
    PLAINTIFF AND DEFENDANTS
    5) Mr. Combs re-alleges and incorporates by reference all preceding paragraphs.
    6) At all times relevant to this Complaint, Mr. Combs was and is a resident of the State of
    Michigan.
    7) At all times relevant to this Complaint, Defendant City of Birmingham was and is an
    organized municipal corporation existing under the laws of the State of Michigan.
    8) At all times relevant to this Complaint, the City of Birmingham Police Department was
    and is a subdivision and/or department of the City of Birmingham.
    9) At all times relevant to this Complaint, Defendant Lieutenant Michael Albrecht
    (“Defendant Albrecht”), Defendant Police Officer Rebekah Springer (“Defendant Springer”), and Defendant Police Officer Gina Potts (“Defendant Potts”), collectively (“Defendant Police Officers”), were employees of the City of Birmingham through the City of Birmingham Police Department.
    10) All Defendant Police Officers were acting within the scope and course of their employment and under color of law.
    11) All Defendant Police Officers are being sued in their individual and official capacities.
    2:12-cv-14528-VAR-MJH Doc # 1 Filed 10/12/12 Pg 3 of 11 Pg ID 3
    GENERAL ALLEGATIONS
    12) Mr. Combs re-alleges and incorporates by reference all preceding paragraphs.
    13) The incident complained of in this lawsuit occurred on or about April 13, 2012 in the
    City of Birmingham, County of Oakland, State of Michigan.
    14) On that date Mr. Combs and his girlfriend, Lia Grabowski, were walking on South Old
    Woodward Avenue in Birmingham, MI.
    15) Mr. Combs was exercising his Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms by openly
    carrying a vintage rifle on his back.
    16) Mr. Combs was eighteen (18) years old, and met all other legal requirements to possess
    and openly carry a firearm in the State of Michigan.
    17) Mr. Combs was stopped while walking on South Old Woodward Avenue by Defendant
    Springer and Defendant Potts, who were on duty and in full Birmingham Police uniform.
    18) Defendant Springer and Defendant Potts stopped and detained Mr. Combs against his
    will, and demanded that he provide identification.
    19) Defendant Springer and Defendant Potts called for their supervisor, Defendant Albrecht,
    to come to the scene.
    20) Defendant Albrecht arrived on the scene and also demanded that Mr. Combs provide
    identification.
    21) Defendant Albrecht became loud and belligerent, and threatened Mr. Combs with arrest.
    22) Mr. Combs complied with the Defendant Police Officers’ request to provide his
    identification.
    23) Mr. Combs took his Michigan driver’s license out of his wallet and handed it to
    Defendant Springer.
    2:12-cv-14528-VAR-MJH Doc # 1 Filed 10/12/12 Pg 4 of 11 Pg ID 4
    24) After Mr. Combs provided his identification to Defendant Springer, Defendant Albrecht immediately arrested and handcuffed Mr. Combs, confiscated his rifle, and placed him in the back seat of a police car.
    25) Defendant Springer informed Defendant Albrecht that Mr. Combs was eighteen (18) years old.
    26) Defendant Albrecht nevertheless ordered that Mr. Combs be taken to the Birmingham Police Department and jailed.
    27) Mr. Combs was booked and locked in a jail cell for several hours before posting bond.
    28) Mr. Combs did not commit any crime, and the Defendant Police Officers did not have
    probable cause to believe that he had committed any crime.
    29) Based upon the actions of the Defendant Police Officers and the information they
    provided to the Birmingham City Attorney’s Office, Mr. Combs was charged with violating the following Birmingham City ordinances: brandishing a firearm (Section 74- 211), breach of the peace (Section 74-156), and resisting a police officer (Section 74-27).
    30) Defendant Police Officers provided knowingly false testimony against Mr. Combs at his
    jury trial in the 48th District Court.
    31) Specifically, the Defendant Police Officers falsely testified that Mr. Combs never
    provided his identification to them, and that he was acting in a loud and unruly manner.
    32) At the close of the city attorney’s case 48th District Court Judge Marc Barron directed a
    verdict of not guilty on the charge of obstructing a police officer.
    33) The jury thereafter acquitted Mr. Combs of the remaining two charges of brandishing a
    firearm and disturbing the peace.
    2:12-cv-14528-VAR-MJH Doc # 1 Filed 10/12/12 Pg 5 of 11 Pg ID 5
    COUNT I
    42 U.S.C. § 1983 – False Arrest
    34) Mr. Combs re-alleges and incorporates by reference all preceding paragraphs.
    35) All Defendant Police Officers acted under color of law but contrary to law, and
    intentionally and unreasonably deprived Mr. Combs of rights, privileges, and immunities secured by the Constitution, laws of the United States, and 42 U.S.C. § 1983, including:
    a. Mr. Combs’ right to be free from false arrest, as guaranteed by Amendments IV and
    XIV of the United States Constitution, by arresting him without probable cause to
    believe that he had committed any crime; and
    b. Mr. Combs’ right not to be deprived of liberty without due process of law, as
    guaranteed by Amendments V and XIV of the United States Constitution.
    WHEREFORE, Mr. Combs demands judgment against all Defendants, for compensatory
    and punitive damages in whatever amount the jury may determine, plus costs, interest, and actual attorney fees pursuant to 42 U.S.C. § 1988.
    COUNT II
    42 U.S.C. § 1983 – False Imprisonment
    36) Mr. Combs re-alleges and incorporates by reference all preceding paragraphs.
    37) All Defendant Police Officers acted under color of law but contrary to law, and
    intentionally and unreasonably deprived Mr. Combs of rights, privileges, and immunities secured by the Constitution, laws of the United States, and 42 U.S.C. § 1983, including:
    a. Mr. Combs’ right to be free from false imprisonment, as guaranteed by Amendments
    IV and XIV of the United States Constitution, by unlawfully imprisoning him against
    his will and without probable cause to believe that he had committed any crime; and
    b. Mr. Combs’ right not to be deprived of liberty without due process of law, as
    2:12-cv-14528-VAR-MJH Doc # 1 Filed 10/12/12 Pg 6 of 11 Pg ID 6
    guaranteed by Amendments V and XIV of the United States Constitution. WHEREFORE, Mr. Combs demands judgment against all Defendants, for compensatory
    and punitive damages in whatever amount the jury may determine, plus costs, interest, and actual attorney fees pursuant to 42 U.S.C. § 1988.
    COUNT III
    42 U.S.C. § 1983 – Malicious Prosecution
    38) Mr. Combs re-alleges and incorporates by reference all preceding paragraphs.
    39) All Defendant Police Officers acted under color of law but contrary to law, and
    a. Mr. Combs’ right to be free from a malicious prosecution, as guaranteed by
    Amendments IV and XIV of the United States Constitution, by causing criminal proceedings to be initiated against him without probable cause to believe that he committed a crime, and by providing false testimony against him at trial; and
    b. Mr. Combs’ right not to be deprived of liberty without due process of law, as guaranteed by Amendments V and XIV of the United States Constitution.
    COUNT IV
    42 U.S.C. § 1983 – Second Amendment Violation
    40) Mr. Combs re-alleges and incorporates by reference all preceding paragraphs.
    41) All Defendant Police Officers acted under color of law but contrary to law, and
    2:12-cv-14528-VAR-MJH Doc # 1 Filed 10/12/12 Pg 7 of 11 Pg ID 7
    a. Mr. Combs’ right to keep and bear arms, as guaranteed by Amendments II and XIV of
    the United States Constitution; and
    guaranteed by Amendments V and XIV of the United States Constitution.
    COUNT V
    42 U.S.C. § 1983 – Municipal Liability
    42) The City of Birmingham has established a practice, policy, and/or custom of improperly training, re-training, instructing, supervising, disciplining, and/or allowing its police officers to enforce ordinances and state law without regard to the constitutional rights of citizens to be free from violations of the Second, Fourth, Fifth, and Fourteenth Amendments, including false arrest, false imprisonment, and malicious prosecution.
    43) The City of Birmingham has established a practice, policy, and/or custom of inadequately and improperly investigating complaints of police misconduct when it was known or apparent to the City of Birmingham that its police officers have violated the Second, Fourth, Fifth, and Fourteenth Amendment rights of individuals in the manner complained of in this lawsuit.
    44) Due to the above-described practices, policies, and/or customs, acts of police misconduct were tolerated by the City of Birmingham, and its police officers believed that they were
    2:12-cv-14528-VAR-MJH Doc # 1 Filed 10/12/12 Pg 8 of 11 Pg ID 8
    free to perform their duties without regard to the rights of individuals and without fear of
    any consequences or discipline.
    45) The above-described practices, policies, and/or customs demonstrate deliberate
    indifference by the City of Birmingham towards the rights of individuals in general, and
    Mr. Combs in particular.
    46) The above-described practices, policies, customs, and deliberate indifference of the City
    of Birmingham were the moving force that directly and proximately caused Mr. Combs’ damages.
    DAMAGES
    47) Mr. Combs re-alleges and incorporates by reference all preceding paragraphs.
    48) As a direct and proximate result of the acts and/or omissions of all Defendants as stated
    within this Complaint, Mr. Combs suffered injuries and damages, including, but not limited to:
    a. Loss of liberty and cherished constitutional rights;
    b. Emotional distress, humiliation, outrage, indignity, anguish, and shock;
    c. Unwanted and offensive physical contact;
    d. Damage to his reputation;
    e. Lost wages;
    f. Attorney fees and costs;
    g. Other damages currently unascertainable.
    2:12-cv-14528-VAR-MJH Doc # 1 Filed 10/12/12 Pg 9 of 11 Pg ID 9
    CONCLUSION AND RELIEF REQUESTED
    49) Mr. Combs re-alleges and incorporates by reference all preceding paragraphs. WHEREFORE, Mr. Combs demands judgment against all Defendants, jointly and
    severally, for compensatory, exemplary, and punitive damages in whatever amount the jury may determine, plus costs, pre-judgment and post-judgment interest, and actual attorney fees pursuant to 42 U.S.C § 1988.
    Respectfully submitted,
    /s/Matthew S. Kolodziejski
    Matthew S. Kolodziejski (P71068)
    Detroit, MI 48226
    (586) 909-1696
    mattkolo@comcast.net
    Dated: October 12, 2012
    2:12-cv-14528-VAR-MJH Doc # 1 Filed 10/12/12 Pg 10 of 11 Pg ID 10
    SEAN COMBS, Plaintiff,
    v.
    CITY OF BIRMINGHAM,
    a municipal corporation,
    LIEUTENANT MICHAEL ALBRECHT,
    in his individual and official capacities, POLICE OFFICER REBEKAH SPRINGER, in her individual and official capacities, POLICE OFFICER GINA POTTS,
    in her individual and official capacities, jointly and severally,
    Defendants. ________________________________________/ Matthew S. Kolodziejski (P71068)
    Detroit, MI 48226
    (586) 909-1696
    mattkolo@comcast.net ________________________________________/
    Case No. Hon.
    UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT EASTERN DISTRICT OF MICHIGAN SOUTHERN DIVISION
    PLAINTIFF’S JURY DEMAND
    NOW COMES the Plaintiff, Sean Combs, by and through his attorney, Matthew S. Kolodziejski, and hereby demands a jury trial on all issues.
    Respectfully submitted,
    /s/Matthew S. Kolodziejski
    Matthew S. Kolodziejski (P71068)
    2:12-cv-14528-VAR-MJH
    Doc # 1 Filed 10/12/12 Pg 11 of 11 Pg ID 11
    Dated: October 12, 2012
    500 Griswold Street, Suite 2340 Detroit, MI 48226
    (586) 909-1696 mattkolo@comcast.net

Question

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/artic...a963291362.txt

Here you can see the Lt. who let this whole "injustice" take place. I attended the trial and it was truly heart breaking to see these sworn officers being jovial about violating a honest citizens rights while the court was in recess. They even went as far to joke about the pay they receive for appearing in court. Makes one wonder if some bad apples don't just sling spaghetti charges at anyone that annoys them to get an "easy paid day(s) in court"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast