• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man OCs to youth football game

Law abider

http://www.wisn.com/news/south-east...17018566/-/2s6k3nz/-/index.html?absolute=true

1) People shouldn't get in a tizzy for someone carrying.
2) He shouldn't have put it in the woods, he should have told them TS.
3) They can't post the park, only the buildings (I see a lawsuit happening here).
4) Why is the man banned from attending the events?!

The fact that he hid it in the woods will be a point of contention. I am not sure what WI statutes the DA will quote in order to bring charges. Endangerment of a child? abandonment of a firearm? Ha! Hiding a firearm without criminal intent? Ha! I am sure they'll pull something out of the hat, anything to punish an innocent man with a gun so that he will not be able to own one for a long time or at all.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
The fact that he hid it in the woods will be a point of contention. I am not sure what WI statutes the DA will quote in order to bring charges. Endangerment of a child? abandonment of a firearm? Ha! Hiding a firearm without criminal intent? Ha! I am sure they'll pull something out of the hat, anything to punish an innocent man with a gun so that he will not be able to own one for a long time or at all.

I am guessing that the charges will be something related to this:

948.55  Leaving or storing a loaded firearm within the reach or easy access of a child.
(1) In this section, "child" means a person who has not attained the age of 14 years.
(2) Whoever recklessly stores or leaves a loaded firearm within the reach or easy access of a child is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor if all of the following occur:
(a) A child obtains the firearm without the lawful permission of his or her parent or guardian or the person having charge of the child.
(b) The child under par. (a) discharges the firearm and the discharge causes bodily harm or death to himself, herself or another.
(3) Whoever recklessly stores or leaves a loaded firearm within the reach or easy access of a child is guilty of a Class C misdemeanor if all of the following occur:
(a) A child obtains the firearm without the lawful permission of his or her parent or guardian or the person having charge of the child.
(b) The child under par. (a) possesses or exhibits the firearm in a public place or in violation of s. 941.20.
(4) Subsections (2) and (3) do not apply under any of the following circumstances:
(a) The firearm is stored or left in a securely locked box or container or in a location that a reasonable person would believe to be secure.
(b) The firearm is securely locked with a trigger lock.
(c) The firearm is left on the person's body or in such proximity to the person's body that he or she could retrieve it as easily and quickly as if carried on his or her body.

Trip20

MKEgal

I agree with protias on all points.
As for why he's "banned",
a) it's an expression of how the board of directors of that organization feels about people who peacefully exercise their civil rights [I think they need a new BOD]
&
b) they think they could have him charged with trespass if he shows up again

I think they need to read the law about posting land:
943.13(1m)(b)
(1m) Whoever does any of the following is subject to a Class B forfeiture: [up to $1000]
(b) Enters or remains on any land of another after having been notified by the owner or occupant not to enter or remain on the premises.
This paragraph does not apply to a licensee or out-of-state licensee if the owner's or occupant's intent is to prevent the licensee or out-of-state licensee from carrying a firearm on the owner's or occupant's land.
I'm curious to know how many other parents were lawfully carrying (concealed) & nobody knew so nobody made a fuss? And will those parents, now thinking that they have to obey the new "keep out, evil people" signs, put up a fuss of their own?

948.55 Leaving or storing a loaded firearm within the reach or easy access of a child.
(1) In this section, "child" means a person who has not attained the age of 14 years.
(2) Whoever recklessly stores or leaves a loaded firearm within the reach or easy access of a child is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor [up to 9mo / $10,000] if all of the following occur:
(b) The child under par. (a) discharges the firearm and the discharge causes bodily harm or death to himself, herself or another.
Nobody has claimed there was anyone shot, luckily - and that's probably all it was.

(3) Whoever recklessly stores or leaves a loaded firearm within the reach or easy access of a child is guilty of a Class C misdemeanor [up to $500 / 30d jail] if all of the following occur:
(b) The child under par. (a) possesses or exhibits the firearm in a public place or in violation of s. 941.20.
So if the kids or the guy who attempted to steal the gun are charged with / convicted of 941.20, the idiot who was negligent in storing his pistol could be charged / convicted for that.
941.20 is a much more serious crime than 948.55(3) - potential penalty of 9mo / $10,000 vs. 30d / $500.
Of course, being convicted of 948.55(3) means the state would steal & destroy his pistol.
If they go after the lesser crime just to make an example of him, and let the kids / thief skate on the more serious crimes, I'd be pretty upset with the prosecutor. Doing it the other way around makes sense.

ETA: the kids were 5 & 6 years old. No way they're competent to be charged with anything. But their parents should be proud that at least some of their instruction about gun safety paid off.

941.20 Endangering safety by use of dangerous weapon.
(1) Whoever does any of the following is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor:
(a) Endangers another's safety by the negligent operation or handling of a dangerous weapon
It sounds like the kids were responsible & safe (though it would have been safer to leave it there with 1 standing by & the other going for an adult), so I don't think the DA can make a case against them either.
Not to say that s/he won't try... :mad: DAMHIK

And how about the thief? He committed a felony.
943.20 Theft.
(1) Acts. Whoever does any of the following may be penalized as provided in sub. (3):
(a) Intentionally takes and carries away, uses, transfers, conceals, or retains possession of movable property of another without the other's consent and with intent to deprive the owner permanently of possession of such property.

(3) Penalties. Whoever violates sub. (1):
(a) If the value of the property does not exceed $2,500, is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor [9mo / $10,000].
(d) If any of the following circumstances exists, is guilty of a Class H felony [6 years / $10,000]:
5. The property is a firearm.
I think that lying about giving it to someone else + hanging onto it for an hour when it was very obvious that the police were looking for it shows pretty clear intent that he meant to keep the pistol.

Looking forward to seeing who gets charged with what in this mess.
If they're all charged with their respective bits of idiocy, that's fair.
But if only the LAC who was an idiot gets charged (with the lowest crime of the bunch) there's a definite bias.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I would prefer to think he was banned because he is a mmoron and they are afraid it might be catching.

Unfortunately, it is more likely an expression of social control of thought and behavior.

I just cannot decide who I want to whack up side the head first.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
was legally open carrying a handgun in the front pocket of his jeans

Huh? Someone please draw me a picture of how you do that. I'm thinking he stuffed it down there with the butt sticking out. That is just wrong.

The youngsters turned it over to a 60-year-old Illinois man, "who for some reason did not reveal that he had it and instead made it known that he had turned it in to the concession stand when he was in fact in possession of it

Sounds like someone was looking to wind up with an off-the-record handgun. Hope he knows that he needed a FOID just to touch the thing. As I understand it, thast included outside Illinois.

Maroons! Both of them.

stay safe.