• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question regarding Cumberland County

abnfister91

So, this past weekend, my wife and I decided to take a Concealed Carry class, as I am in the process of getting her and I our CHP's. Now I normally open carry just about everywhere I go (of course minus the off limits establishments). However the instructor of the CC class, began discussing OC, in which he said NC is **NOT** a OC state, which of course I dis agreed, which is when he brought up the Going Armed To the Terror of the Public. We discussed it all for awhile and then he made a pretty un settling statement. He told the class that he was told (him being a former LEO and now a EMS) that the Cumberland County sheriff has told all deputies to stop all OC'ers and issue them citations or arrest them for GATTOP. Now this statement sounds to me like total bogus, as even since the class I continue to open carry and still to this date have not had one issue. But I was wondering if anyone out this way has heard anything about this or have had any issues with any LEOs?

bc.cruiser

The first thing I'd like to know is what is this bozo's name? Next is where he conducts the class?
I want these so that I could talk face-to-face with him for educational purposes. After that, it would be either a trip to Moose Butler's office to ask him if he in fact has issued such an order (which I doubt), or simply ask my deputy neighbor.

By the way, there are at least 15 of us here in Fayetteville on this forum.

cricketdad

So, this past weekend, my wife and I decided to take a Concealed Carry class, as I am in the process of getting her and I our CHP's. Now I normally open carry just about everywhere I go (of course minus the off limits establishments). However the instructor of the CC class, began discussing OC, in which he said NC is **NOT** a OC state, which of course I dis agreed, which is when he brought up the Going Armed To the Terror of the Public. We discussed it all for awhile and then he made a pretty un settling statement. He told the class that he was told (him being a former LEO and now a EMS) that the Cumberland County sheriff has told all deputies to stop all OC'ers and issue them citations or arrest them for GATTOP. Now this statement sounds to me like total bogus, as even since the class I continue to open carry and still to this date have not had one issue. But I was wondering if anyone out this way has heard anything about this or have had any issues with any LEOs?

Seems to me you have taken a class with a LOT of mis information. Who is this individual? I recommend several in this area and need to make sure he isn't one of them. Makes me wonder how much more he taught you that is wrong.

abnfister91

The class was given by an instructor from "Arm Yourself" training, I dont want to publicly post his name, but if you want it feel free to PM me.

ncwabbit

as much as i hate to rely on information from LE, I picked up the fone and called the sheriff's watch commander (910) 677-5432 and stated for his recording device(s):

i was on my way to cumberland county for a road trip and that i had heard of a rumor that sheriff butler had put out a notice that folk OC'g would be cited immediately for 'going to the terror, etc.'. i was told by the individual who answered the fone 'that is a rumor'. so i reiterated i would not be bothered...he got kinda cranky, and i was again told no!!

Monday morning the OP should call Ms Massey @ (910) 677-5435 and pass the instructor's name to her or the OP should send an email to the NC AG explaining what occurred. (sorry your story is 'second hand' to everyone else!)

wabbit

ps: got to correct these types of situations immediately as it causes all kinds of problems for everyone!!

pps: business fone went unanswered at the company mentioned...

Last edited:

bc.cruiser

ncwabbit: Sorry we haven't kept you informed as to what "et al" has been doing. Also, that hand on your back is a pat, not a push.:D

rotorhead

In short, your instructor is an idiot. Continue to open carry as desired. The Sheriff has put put no such directive to his deputies.

North Carolina is most definitely **IS** an open carry state, as there is no law against it, only a few restrictions. Concealed carry, on the other hand, definitely is illegal. However, qualified people may obtain a permit to carry concealed. That's a pretty big distinction in law: Those actions without laws against them are legal, and those with laws against them are illegal. If there is no law against it then it's legal, which directly goes against what that instructor is teaching.

GATTTOTP is reserved for those people who intentionally threaten others with their weapons. Simply carrying a handgun openly does not satisfy the legal requirements for GATTTOTP, as there must be a demonstrated intent on the part of the carrier to terrorize others for it to stick.

Personally, I'd flay the guy publicly so no one else will mistakenly give this ass-monkey money for an afternoon of misinformation, but that's just me.

I've never had an issue with any LE officers in Cumberland County whatsoever for carrying openly. In fact, this seems to be one of the better counties in the state in terms of the lack of abuse on the hands of overly-eager LEOs. This goes for local and county LE departments.

Last edited:

fayettevillin

I live in Cumberland co Fayetteville/hope mills and sheriffs are cool 1 asked if I even liked the hk over a glock! Only prob was at dicks where the manager had to correct the assistant other than that never had a prob! I get asked who I am looking for alot! I think it's funny cuz I'm 6' 240lb With long dreads I keep up neat people guess ima bounty hunter(eye roll) but most Leo I've asked said basically the same thing they don't care !