• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off topic- ups shipping

Bill45

For everyones general info.:

Last week I sent my Springfield Armory .45 off to Cylinder and Slide for some custom work.

I went to UPS to ship it. The counter person said I had to have a copy of Cyl. and Slides FFL before UPS would ship it!!!!

What A** holes! This is something new UPS is up to, to harrass gun owners.

I went to Fed Ex and shipped it out with no problem no paperwork other than the ordinary. Costs $84.00.

I was so P.O.ed at UPS I could hardly walk upright. I think the company is getting more anti gun every day.

I will NEVER use UPS again for any personal shipping and will ask any company I do business with not to ship UPS.

UPS should be put on a DO NOT PATRONIZE LIST.

Bill

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Wait a minute. Lets first verify that is in fact UPS policy and not invented by that local office or the clerk. Last thing we want is to deny UPS business because some anti-gun shipping clerk gave out bad info.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I run a gun shop. And had a similar experience, they demanded the FFL, even though it is not required by law.

One of our vendors uses UPS, but I know they are considering changing to FEDEX.

When we have to send guns in for repair, we choose FEDEX as there are no issues.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
You want a copy of their FFL? Here - go look it up -- http://fflgundealers.net/

As for UPS policy - gotcha right here: http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html Not a word about needing a copy of the recepient's FFL.

I'd be contacting the area/regional office asking how tjhey intend to deal with the behavior of <name of UPS weenie> who told you they refused to accept your shipment without a copy of the FFL. Either scan the FedEx receipt or preferably show it to them in a face-to-face meeting.

Does UPS provide remedial training for employees they are firing?

stay safe.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
You want a copy of their FFL? Here - go look it up -- http://fflgundealers.net/

As for UPS policy - gotcha right here: http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html Not a word about needing a copy of the recepient's FFL.

I'd be contacting the area/regional office asking how tjhey intend to deal with the behavior of <name of UPS weenie> who told you they refused to accept your shipment without a copy of the FFL. Either scan the FedEx receipt or preferably show it to them in a face-to-face meeting.

Does UPS provide remedial training for employees they are firing?

stay safe.

Thanks, Skid.

In fact, the paragraph about documentation near the bottom of the webpage says nothing about proving the FFL license.

CCinMaine

All ups stores(all two that is) have had signs listing things they won't ship. Guns and ammo are two on the list.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

TechnoWeenie

All ups stores(all two that is) have had signs listing things they won't ship. Guns and ammo are two on the list.

I can tell you, with the utmost assurance, that UPS ships guns and ammo without a problem.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

We need to differentiate here.

We're not talking about certain types of UPS stores--those are already mentioned at the link to UPS shipping rules in the post above.

We are talking about whether there is a UPS policy that you need to show the recipients FFL in order to ship from one of the UPS centers that does accept guns for shipping by air.

amlevin

It costs EIGHTY FOUR DOLLARS to ship a PISTOL???

Yes, unfortunately true. I was forced to shop a pistol that would have fit in a small USPS flat rate box via UPS, next day air. It was explained that UPS doesn't want firearms sitting around at any of their transfer points any longer than necessary. Seems like they have a large problem with firearm theft. Since Next Day Air is handled real quick, almost hand-to-hand, they have fewer "lost firearms".

In truth it seems like both carriers would just as soon not be bothered by firearm shipments from anything other than manufacturers/distributors. One way to discourage private individuals is to make it as expensive as possible. UPS negotiates rates with major shippers so they don't have the same issues as us mere mortals.

John Hardin

Union Package Smashers? (said with fondness - I do enjoy when the Big Brown Truck of Happiness pays me a visit...)

What, you described the contents as something other than "Machine Parts" ???

Freedom1Man

Union Package Smashers? (said with fondness - I do enjoy when the Big Brown Truck of Happiness pays me a visit...)

What, you described the contents as something other than "Machine Parts" ???

When I shipped a rifle it was labeled as sporting goods.

As for the handgun theft. It's sadly true. The ATF was snooping around the Redmond building due how many guns were being stolen out of that building.

Vitaeus

I don't remember whether we used FEDEX or UPS to ship the wife's Sig back to them for sight upgrade and used firearm refurbish, but we had to go to the actual shipping center. The storefront 's don't accept firearms, it was something to do with the age requirement (21 plus) to start and finish the shipping.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html