• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My wife needs a CC rig. Ideas?

Esanders2008

My wife recently decided to get her CHP, and now she needs a rig. She frequently dresses in skirts and dresses, due to the nature of her job. Her concern is that she is a "plus sized woman" (her words not mine). Does anyone have any ideas? She would like to carry a Glock 26 if possible.
IMG_0364.jpg

WalkingWolf

It's hard to hide a full sized gun and be neat looking, unless one wears a sport coat. Rig will not matter as much as the clothing, my wife likes her shirts untucked so it would not be to hard to conceal. When I was a LEO I usually wore a sweatshirt to hide the firearm, unless I was in court and then it was sport coat. I don't consider purse carry a good idea for CC, but YMMV. She might consider a flash bang holster. OC is sooo much simpler.

Esanders2008

It's hard to hide a full sized gun and be neat looking, unless one wears a sport coat. Rig will not matter as much as the clothing, my wife likes her shirts untucked so it would not be to hard to conceal. When I was a LEO I usually wore a sweatshirt to hide the firearm, unless I was in court and then it was sport coat. I don't consider purse carry a good idea for CC, but YMMV. She might consider a flash bang holster. OC is sooo much simpler.

Unfortunately, she isn't completely comfortable with OC (the picture was taken in our house) and her job "doesn't allow" carry of firearms by employees.

Do you think she could conceal well with a flashbang holster?

WalkingWolf

Unfortunately, she isn't completely comfortable with OC (the picture was taken in our house) and her job "doesn't allow" carry of firearms by employees.

Probably not with a large from, but a small frame 9 or 380 should be no problem. Give her time she will get tired of trying to hide a gun. I had to carry one and the policy was it must be concealed. Most times I left it at home, many depts have changed their policy since I wore a badge.

BTW your wife is a good looking woman. Maybe get her a shiny gun with pearl handles she will want to carry openly.

Esanders2008

Probably not with a large from, but a small frame 9 or 380 should be no problem. Give her time she will get tired of trying to hide a gun. I had to carry one and the policy was it must be concealed. Most times I left it at home, many depts have changed their policy since I wore a badge.

BTW your wife is a good looking woman. Maybe get her a shiny gun with pearl handles she will want to carry openly.

Thanks. She is quite a catch! You mention large form pistols, and I was wondering if you were aware that the Glock 29 is a subcompact pistol? Still, it is double-stack, which makes it a bit thicker than not.

WalkingWolf

Thanks. She is quite a catch! You mention large form pistols, and I was wondering if you were aware that the Glock 29 is a subcompact pistol? Still, it is double-stack, which makes it a bit thicker than not.

I am not all that familiar with Glocks, though they are very good firearms. I will try to find the flash bang website, maybe they have a listing of the guns the holster will hold.

I didn't see any Glocks on their list http://flashbangholster.com/home

BTW if she wears fanny packs that is a good carry option.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Check with Cathy Jackson a Cornered Cat - she has started blogging and might be willing to delve into the topic. She writes for/edits some concealed carry magazine, too.

Contact AGirl at AGirlandhergun. She's a lefty but has done some good research.

The big thing is to balance the need for determining what she is going to carry with determining how/where she is going to carry it. The "best" holster might not be right for the gun she selects, or vice versa. Also think about some meet-ups with folks who have Brand X so she can try it out before sinking $$ into an internet purchase.

Tell her "it's shopping" - it may make her hate the proccess a bit less. Just be prepared to answer why there are not holster stores like there are shoe stores.

stay safe.

PistolPackingMomma

Have her check out faliaphotography on youtube. She does a lot of different 'carry' ideas and outfits.

You said your wife wears skirts and dresses; are these more dressy or casual type?
My top three recommendations, without knowing the answers to my above questions, would be:

1. Shoulder holster. (I carry a 3" 1911 in a Galco Jackass holster and use the Bianchi x15 for my brace.)
2. A belly band.
3. Ankle holster; obviously for floor length attire.
4. Flashbang (either the original, which I had for awhile, or the Marilyn, which I have now. Definitely recommend a single stack for bra holsters, based on loaded weight alone!)

I also recommend finding her a different gun to have for carry with different holsters, different days and different outfits. I primarily carry my 1911, but some days, depending on what I'm wearing and how I want to conceal, I'll pack my Sig P238. It's nice to have options, and makes EDC much easier. I had a Glock 27 for a while, and they can be concealed, but double stack is a bit harder to hide, so I definitely recommend a single stack. I tried out the Bersa BP9 1st gen, and wouldn't recommend it until they get a 3rd or 4th gen model on the market.

Here is a thread I made earlier this year that may offer a few different ideas for her, like the sneaky pete. I am planning to do another set soon with my shoulder rig, Marilyn flashbang, and carrying while pregnant, since there isn't much information on that, and I'm currently in such condition :)

Esanders2008

Check with Cathy Jackson a Cornered Cat - she has started blogging and might be willing to delve into the topic. She writes for/edits some concealed carry magazine, too.

Contact AGirl at AGirlandhergun. She's a lefty but has done some good research.

The big thing is to balance the need for determining what she is going to carry with determining how/where she is going to carry it. The "best" holster might not be right for the gun she selects, or vice versa. Also think about some meet-ups with folks who have Brand X so she can try it out before sinking $$ into an internet purchase.

Tell her "it's shopping" - it may make her hate the proccess a bit less. Just be prepared to answer why there are not holster stores like there are shoe stores.

stay safe.
My wife is a lefty too, so this should be helpful.

1) Your wife is a pretty woman.

2) There's something really sexy about a woman with a gun.

3) Here is a couple of links that could get her started in the right direction. The "limalife" woman has a lot of knowledge of guns and such, and from a woman's point of view.

http://youtu.be/ogGBPVk5GQk

http://youtu.be/6id83qgQVic (This one is in like 4 parts)

http://youtu.be/1yCD7aGacvU

I have watched faliaphotography's videos with my wife, and her main complaint is all the girls on YouTube doing reviews are "super skinny", and she worries that their setups will not work as well. For example, FP's video on her thigh holster, my wife is worried about that because her thighs already touch, a thigh holster would complicate things. As for the bra holster, she definitely has the right "setup" IMHO :lol: but she is worried that because she carries a little extra weight, the gun might print. As far as meeting up with people, we don't know any other couples or girls that carry. In fact, other than my dad, and the few people I have met here, I don't even know anyone who carries. :banghead:

Last edited:

ScottE

If her employer doesn't allow firearms, I would suggest she not carry at work. I know my company has the same policy, and if caught I'd likely be terminated. Eventhough I CC, it's too risky and not worth losing my job over. I keep mine in a lockbox that is locked via cable underneath my seat in my truck in the parking lot while inside the building.

PistolPackingMomma

Thigh holsters can be tricky. They can and will alter the way you walk just a bit, until you get used to them, and find that 'sweet' spot.

As to the bra holster, the bigger her set up, the easier to conceal, actually. She just has to play with the holster and see which shirts work and which won't. Obviously the tighter the shirt, the less likely it will work, but it doesn't have to be a circus tent either. :D

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

If her employer doesn't allow firearms, I would suggest she not carry at work. I know my company has the same policy, and if caught I'd likely be terminated. Eventhough I CC, it's too risky and not worth losing my job over. I keep mine in a lockbox that is locked via cable underneath my seat in my truck in the parking lot while inside the building.

Your job is more valuable than your life? I guess you're one of those lucky people that can replace one but not the other. :rolleyes:

ScottE

Your job is more valuable than your life? I guess you're one of those lucky people that can replace one but not the other. :rolleyes:

While I carry 24/7, there are a number of places I don't carry. I don't carry inside my employer's building, government buildings, while sleeping in bed, while drinking alcohol, or while swimming or taking a shower. Are these things more valuable than my life? Of course not. But I realize that obsolute 24/7 carry isn't practicable.

PistolPackingMomma

You said you carry 24/7, then say you don't carry 24/7 because it isn't "practicable" (sic).

I think you need to sit back and learn a bit more before you start spouting off advice to others.

ScottE

You said you carry 24/7, then say you don't carry 24/7 because it isn't "practicable" (sic).

I think you need to sit back and learn a bit more before you start spouting off advice to others.

:banghead:

Oh for christ's sake, have some common sense. If someone says they carry 24/7, that means they carry all time with the exception of restricted areas or where it's not practicable, ie in bed, showering, etc.

PistolPackingMomma

:banghead:

Oh for christ's sake, have some common sense. If someone says they carry 24/7, that means they carry all time with the exception of restricted areas or where it's not practicable, ie in bed, showering, etc.

You state you understand that 24/7 means ALL the time, then contradict yourself by saying 24/7 isn't all the time. Nice.

Out of respect for the OP, and his request for actual help, I won't participate in derailing the thread further.

ScottE

You state you understand that 24/7 means ALL the time, then contradict yourself by saying 24/7 isn't all the time. Nice.

Out of respect for the OP, and his request for actual help, I won't participate in derailing the thread further.

Again, this is one of those times when a little common sense would have done well for you.