• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Left handgun in backpack at restaurant

jandrew

I left my handgun in my trail pack at a restaurant today in Bellingham Wa. By the time I went back it was turned into police. Its licensed and registered.....any legal issues with what happened today? Thanks in advance for thoughts and info.

SeattleWingsfan

If it ever happens again. Call and report it. It's not a crime to misplace a gun. It bothers me that someone would misplace a gun, especially in public. But as they say expletives happen.... A guy on THR, placed his gun and mag on the roof of his car. Went to work and realized that afternoon his gun was missing. Someone found it on the expressway and turned it in to police. Nothing came of it. But if you don't report, you could be responsible for bad things down the road. Since you know its at the police station. Take your ID, receipt, whatever you have to prove ownership and collect it. You'll think twice next time.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I just want to express how happy I am to learn that the handgun did not jump out of the backpack and go off, killing a bus full of student nuns. We all know how depressed those handguns get when they are left behind, whether it is in a backpack at a restaurant or in the back of the gun safe.

stay safe.

jandrew

Thanks for the info Wingsfan!:lol: I happen to know the officer that picked it up....he's a good guy, should make things easier.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Sniff Sniff what is this a troll?
What a stupid move and it shows the mentality of several on here for not speaking out against doing something so lame brain.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
100% irresponsible.

Last edited:

decklin

This is one reason I don't advocate off body carry.
I once had a soldier lose (notice the correct spelling) his M4. So when I found it I gave him the choice of an article 15 or the worst smoking of his life. Then I used some 550 cord and tied the weapon to each wrist and his belt.

SeattleWingsfan

I go through each day treating all my guns like NFA items. If its not on my person its secured. Even as careful as I am. I had a scary situation. I realized a magazine slid out of my holstered Sr9. Just not knowing where it was made my stomache queezy. I found it the next day, all I can say is if losing your gun didn't make you worry to the point you won't do it again. Stop carrying everyday. I'm actually glad 50 people weren't jumping all over the guy. Yes it was a bonehead move. But I'm sure he knows that. I can't fault a guy for realizing that, feeling relief that it was found, and responsibly trying to prepare for for what the consequences might be. Before running down to collect it. In some states it might be a good idea to retain counsel before going down.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Well,,,

My first thought is this could be a regular user here that didn't want to admit doing it, signing up for a second account.

This very same thing happened to our beretta92fslady awhile back,,, she wrote about her feelings then.
I agree that outside the home,,, the gun should be affixed to your body,,, then you cant forget it anywhere!!!

I was OCing at a coffee get together,,, and I brought another gun in a "book safe" rigged up
with a strap over my shoulder, like I was carrying my home work.
It is a method of stealth carry, good for states like calif, Illinois or New york.
I wanted to show off my deception for my friends.

Anywhooooo,,, After awhile we went outside for a smoke,,,
Then,,, I realized,,, I had left that "book safe" with a gun in it,,, on the table, unattended, in the coffee shop!!!
I went and got it, but my friends gave me some very dissaproving glaring eyebally looks...

amzbrady

This very same thing happened to our beretta92fslady awhile back,,, she wrote about her feelings then.
I agree that outside the home,,, the gun should be affixed to your body,,, then you cant forget it anywhere!!!

I was OCing at a coffee get together,,, and I brought another gun in a "book safe" rigged up
with a strap over my shoulder, like I was carrying my home work.
It is a method of stealth carry, good for states like calif, Illinois or New york.
I wanted to show off my deception for my friends.

Anywhooooo,,, After awhile we went outside for a smoke,,,
Then,,, I realized,,, I had left that "book safe" with a gun in it,,, on the table, unattended, in the coffee shop!!!
I went and got it, but my friends gave me some very dissaproving glaring eyebally looks...

You may want to label your guns with your name, since you are getting pretty old. You never know when you may have a senior moment and put your gun book in the library drop slot. :lol:

Last edited:

ScottE

Harsh crowd. My advice, never carry off body, carry concealed, carry as much ammo as you can within reason, know your states laws, and train often (usually overlooked). Good luck.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Sniff Sniff what is this a troll?
What a stupid move and it shows the mentality of several on here for not speaking out against doing something so lame brain.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
100% irresponsible.

Oh, yes. The person is 100% irresponsible for not foreseeing that he might somehow forget his backpack. And, not leaving himself notes all around his table and on his dashboard reminding himself. And, forgetting the gun itself. That's what I do all day long--just repeat to myself that I have a gun I need to keep track of. Don't get much work done or enjoy life or anything, but by steadily reminding myself every ten seconds that I have a gun, I never forget and leave it somewhere.

Yeah, right. Suuuuure.

My mentality is that I'm not going to fall into the anti-gunner's trap and pretend that guns are soooooo dangerous that the world will automatically end if one gets left somewhere, even if nobody finds and misuses it. People forget things. It happens. Its part of life. Its going to happen again. And, all the accusations about irresponsibility aren't going to change that. Save the irresponsibility accusations for people who won't carry a gun to defend themselves or others. More people get hurt from that omission than by guns accidentally left somewhere.

1245A Defender

Well,,, OK....

You may want to label your guns with your name, since you are getting pretty old. You never know when you may have a senior moment and put your gun book in the library drop slot. :lol:

Oh My God!!!!
Mike,,, thank you for that!!!!!
I Just laughed my A$$ off.....

That is exactly how I felt when I reallized I left a gun on the table,,,
but I could get it back,,,
thats different than droping it in the drop off slot at the library.....

sudden valley gunner

Oh, yes. The person is 100% irresponsible for not foreseeing that he might somehow forget his backpack. And, not leaving himself notes all around his table and on his dashboard reminding himself. And, forgetting the gun itself. That's what I do all day long--just repeat to myself that I have a gun I need to keep track of. Don't get much work done or enjoy life or anything, but by steadily reminding myself every ten seconds that I have a gun, I never forget and leave it somewhere.

Yeah, right. Suuuuure.

My mentality is that I'm not going to fall into the anti-gunner's trap and pretend that guns are soooooo dangerous that the world will automatically end if one gets left somewhere, even if nobody finds and misuses it. People forget things. It happens. Its part of life. Its going to happen again. And, all the accusations about irresponsibility aren't going to change that. Save the irresponsibility accusations for people who won't carry a gun to defend themselves or others. More people get hurt from that omission than by guns accidentally left somewhere.

+1

Red Dawg

"Harsh crowd. My advice, never carry off body, carry concealed, carry as much ammo as you can within reason, know your states laws, and train often (usually overlooked). Good luck."

Dude, this is an OPEN CARRY FORUM...

If the gun is properly holstered, and on your person, you probably won't forget it. However, when nature calls, you make a noticable thud in the ole' crapper...

amlevin

This is one reason I don't advocate off body carry.
I once had a soldier lose (notice the correct spelling) his M4. So when I found it I gave him the choice of an article 15 or the worst smoking of his life. Then I used some 550 cord and tied the weapon to each wrist and his belt.

If that had happened during an earlier war, he'd be the designated "Burner", in charge of changing out the half barrels in the latrines and burning the contents.. Nothing like the smell of burning body waste, diesel, and gasoline, to make one never forget where his weapon is at all times. No paracord required.

Venya

We had a Navy petty officer attached to our battalion as an individual augmentee in Afghanistan in 2006 who left her M-16 in the portajohns. Three times. After the third incident, she had it 550-corded to her belt, and had to call in the TOC every hour and report on her weapon's location for two days.

(Not picking on the Navy. We had several other augmentees who really shined on that tour.)

I was fortunate (?) to lose a speedloader relatively early in my carry career, and became more paranoid about using proper carry equipment and keeping it adjusted. Mistakes happen, but you can make some easy changes to your way of doing business to minimize them.

Last edited: