• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kid says your a Cop or a Burglar

EMNofSeattle

That would be a lie.

How could that possibly happen? My holster's retention mechanism never contacts the trigger (it locks around the trigger guard), and even if it did, I will never use a handgun that doesn't have a manual safety.

EDIT: I also don't carry with a round in the chamber. So even if I left my safety off, and even if my holster somehow magically pulled the trigger, the hammer would drop and nothing would happen.

I'm not saying it will happen, I'm telling him to stop insulting everyone who prefers SERPA's that's ScottEs claim is that you'll shoot yourself with it, I'm saying, it's not his problem and to stop trolling on here knocking on and going OT everytime a serpa is seen or mentioned.

Cubex DE

Would that be Dagoban, Dagobish, or Dagobese? Dagobi? No, no. It couldn't be any of those. Imperial Standard was a second language for him; thus the backwards arrangement.

Ready for the nerd talk? :lol:

Yoda speaks Basic just like nearly all the main Star Wars characters, but George Lucas has carefully guarded any other info about him and his species, including their native language (if any). Other members of his species (which has never been named) exhibit the same speech tendencies (putting the action at the end of the sentence), although not all of them (Vandar Tokare is a notable exception).

Last edited:

Small_Arms_Collector

That would be a lie.

How could that possibly happen? My holster's retention mechanism never contacts the trigger (it locks around the trigger guard), and even if it did, I will never use a handgun that doesn't have a manual safety.

EDIT: I also don't carry with a round in the chamber. So even if I left my safety off, and even if my holster somehow magically pulled the trigger, the hammer would drop and nothing would happen.

So you carry an unloaded gun?

The average gun fight lasts 3 seconds, and happens at 3 feet, the other guy will also likely all ready have his gun out, and chambered at the start of the fight, do you really think you will have the time, or ability to rack the slide in that scenario?

Small_Arms_Collector

I'm not saying it will happen, I'm telling him to stop insulting everyone who prefers SERPA's that's ScottEs claim is that you'll shoot yourself with it, I'm saying, it's not his problem and to stop trolling on here knocking on and going OT everytime a serpa is seen or mentioned.

The issue some have with it is because they have an improper draw, and in that case they would have the same issue with any holster. When you use a PROPER draw, I.E. with your finger straight indexed along the side of the holster the SERPA (as well as similar holsters) will release AUTOMATICALLY, you do not need to PUSH the button, your finger will do that for you as it brushes past, as long as you are using a correct draw stroke the holster will release automatically, you use it just like a standard holster, there is no need to push the button.

Some people seem unable to grasp the concept that you draw with a STRAIGHT finger, not a crocked one, and these people would have an issue with any holster not just SERPA's, others insist on trying to manually push the button as they draw, and they have issues. They then make a stupid video, and try to convince people that the SERPA is bad because they are using it WRONG.

09jisaac

The average gun fight lasts 3 seconds, and happens at 3 feet, the other guy will also likely all ready have his gun out, and chambered at the start of the fight, do you really think you will have the time, or ability to rack the slide in that scenario?

It would seem that way.

With any quality manufactured modern firearm in usable condition it is safe, and very important, to carry with the firearm ready to go. My M&P was designed with no manual safeties and that is the only way to safely (your safety) to carry that pistol as an EDC.

During a fight (which apparently averages 3 seconds, 3 feet) you will probably need that other hand and extra time for things you cannot have already prepared. What if a dog attacks you out of nowhere with no warning (happens all the time), do you just open your vital organs up to an attack just because of an unprecedented fear? During most attacks your non dominant hand would be better served doing something else.

Sig, Smith, Remington, Wilson, Keltec and even Hi-points does not want the firearms they manufacture to just spontaneously discharge or the liability of it. Trust me on that. A good law suit and some bad publicity could put even the big names out of business. They want all the money from you that they can get.

I think the fear of carrying any weapon other than a paper weight is comparable to the fear of clowns, it is very un-rational and no sane adult should hold them.

Carry your firearm like you expect something to happen, pray that it never comes to that.

That is my advice.

WalkingWolf

IMO how a person carries their handgun is their personal choice. Their gun, their holster, their responsibility, their liability, their life, others should get one instead of trying to live the life of others. Personally if it was me I would tell those who are not me to not whine about my choices in life.

Last edited:

Tanner

IMO how a person carries their handgun is their personal choice. Their gun, their holster, their responsibility, their liability, their life, others should get one instead of trying to live the life of others. Personally if it was me I would tell those who are not me to not whine about my choices in life.

Very true words. None the less, I for one welcome these kind of suggestions. Having been fairly new to OC myself I have heard the arguements and formed my own opinions about things like this. Even with a 1911 I had assumed it was safest to carry with no round in the chamber, and was not sure I was comfy with it loaded. Now it seems stupid to carry in any other condition. (for reasons already mentioned)

Also he is a kid! Cops and robbers ring a bell? Its the mentality of a kid. So what is mr law makers excuse?

Cubex DE

If I don't have time to rack the slide overhand, I'm probably dead anyway. This is the same reason I use a safety and refuse to buy a gun without one (i.e. a Glock). I'd rather risk my own life than have a preventable accident that takes the life of another.

EMNofSeattle said:
They then make a stupid video, and try to convince people that the SERPA is bad because they are using it WRONG.

I looked up that video, and sure enough, he is/was using the holster incorrectly. When I draw, my index finger is extended straight down that channel, which lines up perfectly with where my safety is, which I will obviously need to disengage to fire.

09jisaac

If I don't have time to rack the slide overhand, I'm probably dead anyway. This is the same reason I use a safety and refuse to buy a gun without one (i.e. a Glock). I'd rather risk my own life than have a preventable accident that takes the life of another.

If you have time to rack the slide then you're probably not in close enough proximity to a threat to warrant deadly physical force. It would be easy to make the argument that YOU started the escalation by drawing your firearm. In most states you are only allowed to use deadly force only to stop the use of deadly (or close to it) force. Threats without an easy way to follow through don't meet the criteria, usually.

Also you cannot show me one single accident were a safety would have preserved someone's health. It is easy though to point out times that a safety was detrimental to someone's safety or just used as a crutch. The safety is relied upon too often. It is mechanical and can fail.

A modern firearm without a safety is just a safe than as firearm without one. This, too, is like a fear of clowns.

WalkingWolf

If you have time to rack the slide then you're probably not in close enough proximity to a threat to warrant deadly physical force. It would be easy to make the argument that YOU started the escalation by drawing your firearm. In most states you are only allowed to use deadly force only to stop the use of deadly (or close to it) force. Threats without an easy way to follow through don't meet the criteria, usually.

Also you cannot show me one single accident were a safety would have preserved someone's health. It is easy though to point out times that a safety was detrimental to someone's safety or just used as a crutch. The safety is relied upon too often. It is mechanical and can fail.

A modern firearm without a safety is just a safe than as firearm without one. This, too, is like a fear of clowns.

Guess there is no reason for a spare mag then~~if you don't have time to rack a slide, you don't have time to reload, and certainly you could retreat or find some other option while reloading. I carry loaded, BUT the Israeli's do not, the US military does not unless in combat. Someone who is cool, trained, and knows what they are doing is going to rack a slide and get a shot off before a untrained numpty clears the holster, if they don't blow their leg off by taking the safety off, and sticking the booger finger in the trigger, before on target.

[video=youtube;oRdZ3hZ8y-w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRdZ3hZ8y-w&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:

11B2O

Can you carry in condition 3 and still be just as fast off the draw with enough training? Sure you can. But as any seasoned infantry soldier will tell you, the more unnecessary steps or movements, the more chances for something to go wrong. You don't want to rack the slide on a draw under self defense circumstances and then realize that you just had a failure to feed or have the gun out of battery. If you lack the confidence to carry in condition 1 or 2 that's one thing that can be overcome with time and carrying. But if you think there is a greater chance of a ND in condition 1 or 2 more than anything else, than you shouldn't be carrying a gun until you've had more training.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

WalkingWolf

Can you carry in condition 3 and still be just as fast off the draw with enough training? Sure you can. But as any seasoned infantry soldier will tell you, the more unnecessary steps or movements, the more chances for something to go wrong. You don't want to rack the slide on a draw under self defense circumstances and then realize that you just had a failure to feed or have the gun out of battery. If you lack the confidence to carry in condition 1 or 2 that's one thing that can be overcome with time and carrying. But if you think there is a greater chance of a ND in condition 1 or 2 more than anything else, than you shouldn't be carrying a gun until you've had more training.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
WELL that would be MY problem, not yours, so you need to worry about you. I really hate to be harsh, but each person has to make their choice. I carry a 150 year old revolver that I can draw and hit my mark, before most can get their hand on the their gun, it is the reason I carry it over my 1911. I have had some people come to my face to tell me HOW and WHAT I should carry, and I told them to "bugger off", actually the word I used was shorter than bugger.

BTW YOU should not be telling people that they should not be carrying on this site, it is rude. YOU need to worry about how much training you have and if you should be carrying.

Last edited:

sharkey

I was carrying one gun while selling another to my friend. Her son (about 5) saw my gun and asked "are you a bad guy or a good guy?" I said "good guy." He then asked "are you going to kill my mom?" I guess he didn't believe me.

She sent him to his room but I told her she needed to get him familiar with guns, especially since she was going to own one. Nothing like forbidden fruit syndrome.

09jisaac

Guess there is no reason for a spare mag then~~if you don't have time to rack a slide, you don't have time to reload, and certainly you could retreat or find some other option while reloading. I carry loaded, BUT the Israeli's do not, the US military does not unless in combat. Someone who is cool, trained, and knows what they are doing is going to rack a slide and get a shot off before a untrained numpty clears the holster, if they don't blow their leg off by taking the safety off, and sticking the booger finger in the trigger, before on target.

The first mag should give you time to put distance and obstacles between anything you feel the need to shoot at. You're trying to twist my words into something that is dissimilar.

With the same practice I, or anyone else, can get more aimed shots off in the same time if racking the slide is not on the to do list.

DangerClose

He should have answered the kid's question with a simple: "to protect myself from bad guys"
Minor correction:
"To protect myself from burglars."

Tell the kid you are Han Solo, maybe he will know who you are talking about, then maybe not.
Not a good idea since Han shot first. Well, until some re-editing.

Loaded is recommended, but a gun you have to rack is still better than no gun, especially if open-carrying and assuming the mere sight of it will discourage some situations.

There's still plenty of situations involving guns that aren't quick-draw contests.