• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

more Chicago idiocy

MKEgal

From the article:
Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle will submit a budget proposal Thursday that calls for a tax of a nickel for each bullet and $25 for each firearm sold in the nation's second-largest county, which encompasses Chicago.
... money that would be used for various county services including medical care for gunshot victims.

... Preckwinkle insists the ordinance is far more about addressing gun violence than raising money...
"The legal gun shops in suburban Cook County are a conduit for crimes in Chicago."

Richard Pearson, the executive director of the Illinois State Rifle Association... "If she wants to get to the people causing all the problems she ought to put a tax on street gangs"...

Fred Lutger, the owner of Freddie Bear Sport... "Why should be paying for gang bangers shooting each other? You're taxing law-abiding citizens for what criminals are doing."

Her web page, with no apparent way to contact her: http://tonipreckwinkle.org/
Aha... contact information: http://www.cookcountygov.com/portal...dership/LeadershipProfile.aspx?commiss_id=406
And the rest of the board: http://www.cookcountygov.com/portal/server.pt/community/government/226/leadership/314

Last edited:

DocWalker

All this will do is close all the gun shops. Put more people out of work and force people to buy off the internet or go to the next county to buy guns and ammo. The violence will still be there and more law abiding citizens will pay the price. This may acutaully increase crime, why would a criminal pay more when they can just steal them.

PistolPackingMomma

The tax is expected to raise $600,000 in revenue in 2013.

But I thought it wasn't about money? :confused: /sarcasm

Feeling sorry for all the gun stores in Cook County; bet they'll be out of business in 3 months. Though, the government will probably try to get around that by legislating that you can't go buy a gun less than 10 miles from your place of residence so people can't avoid the tax. :banghead:

Carry a Sig

Idiots in charge

But I thought it wasn't about money? :confused: /sarcasm

Of course it's not about the money. Obviously these people did not pass math class in high school or if they went to college, statistics. They will probably not get it when the revenue is not there and crime still goes up.

This election should prove interesting. Vote for the same people, get the same results.:banghead::banghead:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I was in crook county recently ... could not find even clays for skeet, had to go to dupage county. So their tax will yield 0 dollars IMO as gun stores in the city is likely zero.