• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help pressure Costco into allowing firearms in their stores

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
Lately i have noticed that a lot of comments left on corporate facebook pages are going viral, whether positive or negative. I am trying to bring attention to the large number of people who do not shop at Costco because of their firearms policy. OK, actually I'm just trying to get them to drop the policy because my wife tried some of their jalapeno yogurt dip at work and I won't get a membership there. So if you have a facebook account, please help me [my wife] out and "like" my comment.

https://www.facebook.com/Costco/posts/10151136658824947?notif_t=like

DocWalker

Lately i have noticed that a lot of comments left on corporate facebook pages are going viral, whether positive or negative. I am trying to bring attention to the large number of people who do not shop at Costco because of their firearms policy. OK, actually I'm just trying to get them to drop the policy because my wife tried some of their jalapeno yogurt dip at work and I won't get a membership there. So if you have a facebook account, please help me [my wife] out and "like" my comment.

I don't know about the corporate policy but I have always opened carried in COSTCO in Boise Idaho without problems. A couple weeks ago I had to renew my membership and get a new card. They even took my picture while I was OCing. Nobody said a thing to me and we walked around the store for an hour or so.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
glad you've had good experiences with that. i've read many other experiences where people were not so fortunate. i'm not going to gamble on a $50 membership until they've changed the policy.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
If you are OC'ing at a Costco, it is because the management of your local store is choosing not to enforce the corporate policy that specifically prohibits it.

Also, if you are a member, and you complain about this policy at any time during your membership, in the past they have refunded your membership fee in full.

I have an easy choice here. I shop at Sam's Club, which specifically allows OC by corporate policy.

Last edited:

eye95

They haven't changed the policy.

Shop at Sam's. They do not prohibit the exercise of your 2A rights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

eye95

...Also, if you are a member, and you complain about this policy at any time during your membership, in the past they have refunded your membership fee in full...

This is their stated policy. I think I will get a membership, complain, and demand a refund.

<o>

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
If you are OC'ing at a Costco, it is because the management of your local store is choosing not to enforce the corporate policy that specifically prohibits it.

Also, if you are a member, and you complain about this policy at any time during your membership, in the past they have refunded your membership fee in full.

I have an easy choice here. I shop at Sam's Club, which specifically allows OC by corporate policy.

correct

twoskinsonemanns

FWIW I liked your comment and posted a supporting one. I also would like to see every OCer on this site support you in the same way.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I have also never had a problem OC'ing at my local Costco in Manassas, VA. Since there are no signs posted to my knowledge and no one has ever said anything (never read the policy and in this case perhaps ignorance is bliss), I shall continue to do as I have for the past 5 1/2 years.

Last edited:

eye95

We are all individuals and get to make our own choices, but I won't shop at a chain that has a no firearm policy enforced anywhere[\b]! Even if I am allowed to carry in my own local store, IMO, it is a disservice to my fellow carriers who cannot carry in their local stores to patronize the chain.

Franchises are different. They each may have local polices that have nothing to do with their sister stores. But any corporate store belonging to a chain that has a no firearms policy--even if some branches don't enforce the policy--are IMO off limits[\b].

Again, we all get to make our own decisions, but I implore my fellow carriers to pressure all corporations with no firearm policies by not shopping in any of their stores.

I have shopped at Costco. I won't shop at any Costco, even if I can carry in it, until the corporation changes its illogical policy.

<o>

DocWalker

We are all individuals and get to make our own choices, but I won't shop at a chain that has a no firearm policy enforced anywhere[\b]! Even if I am allowed to carry in my own local store, IMO, it is a disservice to my fellow carriers who cannot carry in their local stores to patronize the chain.

Franchises are different. They each may have local polices that have nothing to do with their sister stores. But any corporate store belonging to a chain that has a no firearms policy--even if some branches don't enforce the policy--are IMO off limits[\b].

Again, we all get to make our own decisions, but I implore my fellow carriers to pressure all corporations with no firearm policies by not shopping in any of their stores.

I have shopped at Costco. I won't shop at any Costco, even if I can carry in it, until the corporation changes its illogical policy.

<o>

That would be great if we had a Sams anywhere near me but we don't and our local Costco allows OC and hasn't ever in 3 years said anything to me. I'm a victim of not having a choice but at least my Costco is OC friendly.

twoskinsonemanns

<o>

+1 to this ^^^

If we made a better stand against these policies they would go away.