Thread: Official proposes bullet tax to curb Chicago crime

Official proposes bullet tax to curb Chicago crime

CHICAGO (AP) - As Chicago struggles to quell gang violence that has contributed to a jump in homicides, a top elected official wants to tax the sale of every bullet and firearm - an effort even she acknowledges could spark a legal challenge.

Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle will submit a budget proposal Thursday that calls for a tax of a nickel for each bullet and $25 for each firearm sold in the nation's second-largest county, which encompasses Chicago.

http://www.komonews.com/news/nationa...174774671.html

For me that would cost more than $800!
    Wouldn't be too bad for my good carry ammo, but it would more than double the cost of .22 ammo.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

It looks like this tax is limited to the county. What exactly is going to keep people from driving to another county to buy their ammo?

And seeing as how criminals rarely actually fire their guns, I don't see how this would significantly impact anyone except LAC's who spend a lot of time at the range... and as indicated already, they could just pick up the ammo elsewhere. So really, this would just drive business away from the local stores selling ammo.
    Jesus thought it was more important to be armed than well dressed:

Then said He unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his
    scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.~Luke 22:36

(Emphasis mine.)

(Note that the word "garment" here refers to an outer cloak, equivalent to today's sport coats or
    suit jackets in that they both provided warmth and conveyed a certain level of sophistication.)

Official proposes bullet tax to curb Chicago crime

Quote Originally Posted by Cubex DE View Post
    It looks like this tax is limited to the county. What exactly is going to keep people from driving to another county to buy their ammo?

And seeing as how criminals rarely actually fire their guns, I don't see how this would significantly impact anyone except LAC's who spend a lot of time at the range... and as indicated already, they could just pick up the ammo elsewhere. So really, this would just drive business away from the local stores selling ammo.
    Bingo! You nailed it! I don't see this making it very far...they are already mounting legal challenges and it hasn't even made it past the proposal stage.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

This absolutely ridiculous proposal appears to be nothing more - or nothing less - than a revenue raising scheme. Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Banned
    Why not? Everything else has worked ... I can walk down the South Side Halsted street at 2am on a hot summer night with my Hawaiian shirt playing Hank Jr. on my boombox because its so safe...

Another city that I would not cry over being nuked .... that is unit the courts sort out what Keep and Bear means ... they're working on it ... Moore v. Madigan

Quote Originally Posted by Gil223 View Post
    This absolutely ridiculous proposal appears to be nothing more - or nothing less - than a revenue raising scheme. Pax...
    One doomed to fail.

More likely, this will be the lawmaker's way of saying "I did something!" when it's time for reelection.

Then said He unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his
    scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.~Luke 22:36

(Emphasis mine.)

(Note that the word "garment" here refers to an outer cloak, equivalent to today's sport coats or
    suit jackets in that they both provided warmth and conveyed a certain level of sophistication.)

...this will be the lawmaker's way of saying "I did something!" when it's time for reelection.
    And the rest of his claim would be, "Unfortunately, the citizens didn't want it, so it was undone by them. They have nobody to blame but themselves, and George W. Bush, when a burglar - with an UNTAXED firearm and ammunition - breaks into their house and robs them!" (This would be the typical Chicago/Obama, "Never take responsibility for anything that fails" doctrine of resolving political quandaries.) Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

my thought was this

BG shoots someone with a bullet he bought (didn't just steal it?) 0.05 cost

legal law abiding citizen, goes to gun range to shoot. 500 rounds = 25$ x 25 times a year (you may do more or less)

it's plain to see who is being targeted by this
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Whats next? They start taxing drinks with sugar to "help" the fat people!
    In our quest for knowledge we must be prepared for and armed against misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    Whats next? They start taxing drinks with sugar to "help" the fat people!
    I'm pretty sure I heard of someone trying this, but I'm too lazy to go find it :P

(Emphasis mine.)

I'm pretty sure I heard of someone trying this, but I'm too lazy to go find it :P
    Yea I was being sarcastic. Its is already in place in not so "new" new york.
    In our quest for knowledge we must be prepared for and armed against misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    Yea I was being sarcastic. Its is already in place in not so "new" new york.
    ...As if there weren't enough reasons not to go there!

(Emphasis mine.)

...As if there weren't enough reasons not to go there!
    What you dont like waiting 3 weeks to buy a little 22? Thats how long it took for me to get one. Never again