• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Official proposes bullet tax to curb Chicago crime

golddigger14s

Activist Member
CHICAGO (AP) - As Chicago struggles to quell gang violence that has contributed to a jump in homicides, a top elected official wants to tax the sale of every bullet and firearm - an effort even she acknowledges could spark a legal challenge.

Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle will submit a budget proposal Thursday that calls for a tax of a nickel for each bullet and $25 for each firearm sold in the nation's second-largest county, which encompasses Chicago.

http://www.komonews.com/news/nation...llet-tax-to-curb-Chicago-crime-174774671.html

For me that would cost more than $800!
Wouldn't be too bad for my good carry ammo, but it would more than double the cost of .22 ammo.

Cubex DE

It looks like this tax is limited to the county. What exactly is going to keep people from driving to another county to buy their ammo?

And seeing as how criminals rarely actually fire their guns, I don't see how this would significantly impact anyone except LAC's who spend a lot of time at the range... and as indicated already, they could just pick up the ammo elsewhere. So really, this would just drive business away from the local stores selling ammo.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
It looks like this tax is limited to the county. What exactly is going to keep people from driving to another county to buy their ammo?

And seeing as how criminals rarely actually fire their guns, I don't see how this would significantly impact anyone except LAC's who spend a lot of time at the range... and as indicated already, they could just pick up the ammo elsewhere. So really, this would just drive business away from the local stores selling ammo.

Bingo! You nailed it! I don't see this making it very far...they are already mounting legal challenges and it hasn't even made it past the proposal stage.

Gil223

This absolutely ridiculous proposal appears to be nothing more - or nothing less - than a revenue raising scheme. Pax...

davidmcbeth

Banned
Why not? Everything else has worked ... I can walk down the South Side Halsted street at 2am on a hot summer night with my Hawaiian shirt playing Hank Jr. on my boombox because its so safe...

Another city that I would not cry over being nuked .... that is unit the courts sort out what Keep and Bear means ... they're working on it ... Moore v. Madigan

Cubex DE

This absolutely ridiculous proposal appears to be nothing more - or nothing less - than a revenue raising scheme. Pax...

One doomed to fail.

More likely, this will be the lawmaker's way of saying "I did something!" when it's time for reelection.

Gil223

...this will be the lawmaker's way of saying "I did something!" when it's time for reelection.

And the rest of his claim would be, "Unfortunately, the citizens didn't want it, so it was undone by them. They have nobody to blame but themselves, and George W. Bush, when a burglar - with an UNTAXED firearm and ammunition - breaks into their house and robs them!" (This would be the typical Chicago/Obama, "Never take responsibility for anything that fails" doctrine of resolving political quandaries.) Pax...

papa bear

my thought was this

BG shoots someone with a bullet he bought (didn't just steal it?) 0.05 cost

legal law abiding citizen, goes to gun range to shoot. 500 rounds = 25$ x 25 times a year (you may do more or less)

it's plain to see who is being targeted by this