• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in vehicle (with no CCW permit)

rugerlcr357lg

OK, so I own a work van with a bunch of work stuff in it, so that the very back of my van isn't really accessable from the front seat, without crawling over top of a bunch of stuff.
I have no CCW permit.

I need to get gas, some groceries, do laundry and make a few other stops.
From what I know, the gun cannot be loaded in the van and the ammo needs to be in the back so I cannot get to it.
Each place I stop, assuming i want it with me loaded when not in my van, I need to go to the back, load up, pump the gas, then before i get back in the van I need to unload the bullets into the back, get in up front and put the unloaded gun into a case of some sort? Every stop, the same thing.
All that correct?
And what about the ammo not actually being in a separate part of the van? Like a car has a trunk.

eye95

Overturning this moronic law should be our top priority. It really impedes OC, which is the right, as opposed to CC, which is a privilege. We don't have the right until this is corrected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

eye95

why dont you get you CHL?

Why don't you get a license to express your opinion on OCDO?

Yeah, that sounds kinda harsh. But so did your question. The point I was trying to communicate was that I shouldn't have to get a permission slip to exercise my right to bear (carry) my firearm. As a matter of practicality, even if I OC, I still need a license if any part of my carry will be within my automobile. That violates my right.

Now, out of the world of theory and into the world of pragmatism: I have not been in the State long enough to get a license. Also, I still have to work the required course into my schedule.

Note to all: I don't react we'll to being asked why I haven't asked the State for permission to exercise my rights.

<o>

eye95

I am nowhere near as knowledgeable on OH law as I am AL law,but in general, doesn't the Castle Doctrine refer to the legal right to defend one's home against intruders? In Alabama, this is implemented in the law through the assumption that someone breaking into your home is assumed to create a situation where you are reasonably in fear for your life.

The justification for deadly force does not mean that you may carry, just that if you are carrying, you may use the firearm for self defense. An unloaded pistol is pretty well useless for self defense.

Extending the Castle Doctrine to one's car is a worthwhile goal. However, what is needed here is protection for the right to be armed in one's home to in his car also. Unless Ohio is using the term Castle Doctrine in a nonstandard sense, that is not the Castle Doctrine.

That does raise the question: How does Ohio implement the Castle Doctrine, if at all? Is shooting someone who is breaking to your home presumed to be in self defense?

Last edited:

N605TW

Activist Member
The Ohio "Castle Doctrine" is ORC 2901.09. It states that you have no duty to retreat before using force if you are lawfully in your residence or in your vehicle.

This is not a shoot first law. All this law does is remove the duty to retreat if you are in your home or vehicle. You still have to have a reasonable fear for life or serious physical harm and you can not be the aggressor.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2901.09