• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not very knowledgeable about 1911

WalkingWolf

I enjoy the mechanics of field stripping a 1911. I think it should be on Heinlein's list.

Most guys don't need a tool to do it, but I will admit it can be tricky for some. The bushing wrench is handy for the bastard 1911's, too, of which I find no need.

What is a bushing wrench? :lol:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The only reason I own one is because Brownells gave them to every competitor at the NV State IDPA Championships. I've just didn't have the heart to throw it away. One of these days, someone will ask me to take apart their Officer's Model, and then it might come in a little handy.

jeeper1

My current 1911 (my third one) does not use a barrel bushing. It has a one piece recoil spring guide rod assembly that needs a bent paper clip inserted to hold it together for dis-assembly of the firearm.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
My current 1911 (my third one) does not use a barrel bushing. It has a one piece recoil spring guide rod assembly that needs a bent paper clip inserted to hold it together for dis-assembly of the firearm.

What is a "one piece spring guide rod assembly"? I don't recall seein' that listed in the nomenclature photos I studied in the military? I suppose you're next going to brag about something called a "lowered and flared ejection port." :p:)

See, Gr8gunz. I told you there was a religious aspect to 1911's. We're arguing doctrinal points. Didn't take long, neither. :D

jeeper1

Mitchell_Arms_Gold_Series_95.jpg

jeeper1

Not sure why the manufacturer would not use a bushing on a full size 1911, but it is a nice shiny gun.
It's not needed.
scf0010_1.jpg

It's a lot easier to take apart for cleaning using a bent paper clip.
scf0011.jpg

jeeper1

A previous owner had the pistol souped up and now the pistol is either the second or third most accurate pistol I own. It's a tossup between it and my XD40 as they both shoot sub one inch groups at 25 yards, the farthest I've shot for testing. I do plink for fun up to 75 yards.

So what if you can't find a paper clip in the field?
Then I do it the hard way and hope nothing gets loose and lost.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Not sure why the manufacturer would not use a bushing on a full size 1911, but it is a nice shiny gun.

Lower cost jumps to mind.

You don't have to make a bushing at all. And, for fitting, you can just mate the slide to the barrel instead of mating slide to bushing and barrel to bushing. Also, you don't have to machine those little grooves inside the front of the slide. And, you don't have to make a bushing at all.

I imagine that on a tight gun like a Les Baer or similar, all that tight fitting must take time. With the bushingless approach, it seems you would only have to mate the barrel to the slide. Whatever slide opening you've got from final polishing, just trim down the outside of the barrel to your prefered tolerance.

Anyway, those are the answers that jump to mind.

Of course, all this violates the Gospel According to John Moses Browning:

1 In the beginning was the 1911, and the 1911 was THE pistol, and it was good. And behold the Lord said, "Thou shalt not muck with my disciple John's design for it is good and it workith. For John made the 1911, and lo all of his weapons, from the designs which I, the Lord, gave him upon the mountain."

2 "And shouldst thou muck with it, and hang all manner of foul implements upon it, and profane its internal parts, thou shalt surely have malfunctions, ...

http://www.frfrogspad.com/jmb.htm

Tanner

HMMMMM wondering exactly how hard some people make the field strip of a 1911. Before I got my Auto ord all I had was a little ruger 22. Got the 1911 with "0" experience cleaning really any guns (I dont count the 22) and it was straight forward enough. The only problem I ran into was getting the slide stop back into place while trying to hold the slide back against the resistance of the recoil spring. And yea never had to use a bushing wrench.

robert1970

Right now I'm considering the Springfield full size. I'm glad the full size is concealable since I really didn't want to go for a compact.

I carry a springfield .40XDM and use the Crossbreed super tuck for CCW and the Blackhawk ALS for OC. Both are great holsters so I'm sure that the CB will do well with the 1911. I hate Glocks. I know they're reliable and everybody seems to own one but I just don't like em.

As was pointed out though, the 1911s sure are pricey.

Best
Gunz

I just bought my first 1911 today a full size Springfeild loaded model.so far I think its a awsome gun.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I just bought my first 1911 today a full size Springfeild loaded model.so far I think its a awsome gun.

Oh, man. Now, that is a serious gun manufacturer. Loads the gun for you. Probably taking cues from car dealers who fill the gas tank for you. :)

WalkingWolf

Oh, man. Now, that is a serious gun manufacturer. Loads the gun for you. Probably taking cues from car dealers who fill the gas tank for you. :)

I think he means with all the accessories, but yea car salesmen usually put gas in the tank, I think that is part of those expensive prep costs :lol:

robert1970

I think he means with all the accessories, but yea car salesmen usually put gas in the tank, I think that is part of those expensive prep costs :lol:

yea,thats what Springfeild calls it is the loaded model,it has trijon night sights and other things usally put on a custom gun.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
You use sights in the dark? My how time has changed...

Oh, yes. They even make some guns with special slots in the dust cover where you can hang a minuture flashlight. No more fumbling around in the dark trying to light the lantern. Its kinda handy for those late night trips to the outhouse, too. Just be careful where you point the flashlight if your zipper gets stuck. :)