• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not very knowledgeable about 1911

WalkingWolf

Reminds me, I've had some people come up to me and say one of two things to me.

1. "Did you know your pistol is cocked?"

2. "Is that pistol cocked?"

My answer to both questions is always: Yes, that's the way it's meant to be carried, cocked, locked and loaded. That way, if I ever have to use it, all I have to do is push the safety off and pull the trigger.

If I am not mistaken is not a Glock carried half cocked, and not really double action?

WalkingWolf

Are you claiming im someone else? You must be out of your mind. No im not someone else. You are digging deep here arnt you. Like ive said im done talking.

I didn't claim, I asked. If I was claiming I wouldn't have asked. You really are running a bit slow, ehhhh?

I am glad you are not him, he was a real loser, I mean this fool claimed a holster pulled the trigger on a gun just sitting in the holster. I have never heard anything so stupid.

Last edited:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
If I am not mistaken is not a Glock carried half cocked, and not really double action?
Honestly, I'm not certain. I've never fired a Glock, and only held one once to show the owner how to disassemble it so he could clean it. (Talk about the blind leading the blind. ;) ) I do not think it is double action, as it has to be cocked before it will fire. The trigger doesn't seem to cock it. Only pulling back the slide does that, since it has no external hammer.

In a comparison video I saw on YouTube, the guy in the video called it "safe-action" as opposed to single or double action. But, I'm certainly no expert on the Glock.

Last edited:

kurt555gs

I bought a new Glock 21. I hated it. I gladly sold it at a considerable loss. It had the trigger pull of a Home Depot calking gun. After I sold it, I replaced it with an FNP-45. Similar firearm but much better in every describable detail. That being said, when I carry, I still prefer my 1911 in a Simply Rugged leather holster.

Carthago Delenda Est

g21sfpistol

Banned
I didn't claim, I asked. If I was claiming I wouldn't have asked. You really are running a bit slow, ehhhh?

I am glad you are not him, he was a real loser, I mean this fool claimed a holster pulled the trigger on a gun just sitting in the holster. I have never heard anything so stupid.

Yes holsters just pull triggers. Like pens just get up an walk away. Which is why I go through a lot if pens

WalkingWolf

OK from what I can gather from Glock's site is that the Glock is carried cocked, instead of a manual safety to lock it, the safeties are built into the trigger pull. So a person is just pulling a trigger to move the safeties out of the way to release the striker. Not sure I would be comfortable with that. A short trigger pull that normally would feel stiff, but under duress would feel like butter.

The finger should always be OFF the trigger in all guns unless needed, but it sounds like the Glock is less forgiving of other trigger and safety designs. A 1911 has a step that must be taken before a brain fart can be a ND. A DA revolver has a longgggg pull before a brain fart causes a ND.

Glock, make sure you are a God that will never have a brain fart.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... I do not think it is double action, as it has to be cocked before it will fire. The trigger doesn't seem to cock it. Only pulling back the slide does that, since it has no external hammer. ...

The Glock is sort of in its own category, but is a type of DAO. The slide will cock the striker 60% of the way. The trigger must cock it the remaining 40% before releasing it to fire. This is why it has no restrike capability, though this is not a disadvantage in my book.

It makes it a DAO with a shorter trigger pull than other DAOs, but with many of the supposed benefits that cops needed, especially at the time of the large transition to semiautomatics.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
For those that don't know: photographs are acceptable cites, particularly when there has been such wide spread recognition of their validity....and there is no evidence of photoshopping.

Tennifer is not a "coating" - it is a proprietary treatment whereby heat is used to change the crystalline structure of the product making it receptive to a alkali cyanate salt-bath process. The process changes the surface of the material itself....it does not "coat" or add a finish material i.e. paint.

One's reputation on this forum is earned....the hard way. Those with low post counts have no less right to express their opinions BUT cannot simply claim the same reliability of someone who has met the test and not proved lacking. That and these more experienced members have learned to avoid (1) claims that are unfounded, (2) insulting or speaking derogatorily to others, and (3) dislike trollish, provocative users, most particularly rule violating multiple registrants.

Last edited:

g21sfpistol

Banned
i dont know why im being accused of being someone else from the forum? and coating or treatment whatever. its a hardening process. i call it a coating cause people understand coating more than they would a hardening process. the blackness of a glock (glawk) is a coating or blueing or whatever you wanna call it. when it starts to wear or "rub off" the tenifer is still there. its pretty much the best thing you can do to a gun. especially a stock gun. go to 1911forum.com you will find what people have to do to their 1911s to get the up to snuff. but i do find it funny how so much knowledge is claimed here by some. i get a text book definition of what tenifer is yet they are unsure if the trigger functions as a single action or double action. i guess this is the internet and google is only a click away.

a single picture is a cite? ive seen people on this forum use pictures as cites and WW and marshal harass that person claiming it was a phony cite even though they were well known stories. not that i care but isnt that a double standard? as for the picture of the rusty glock. ok so one picture of a glock that maybe rusted in a natural disaster? if thats what it takes for a glock to rust im sure most glocks are find under normal weather conditions. but like i said it could have been run off from springs. or it was by something else that was metal and rusted. either way it was exposed to salt water, gas and whatever other chemicals was in the water for a number of days. i would say thats not to bad. at least it survived for the picture. do that to a 1911. im pretty sure i mentioned its fairly low round count and multiple attackers. yet the knowledgeable people dont wanna talk about that because they have to justify their high dollar purchase and out of date 1980s shooting tactics.

believe what you want or stop buying so many guns and use some of that money to take a few classes.

WalkingWolf

i dont know why im being accused of being someone else from the forum? and coating or treatment whatever. its a hardening process. i call it a coating cause people understand coating more than they would a hardening process. the blackness of a glock (glawk) is a coating or blueing or whatever you wanna call it. when it starts to wear or "rub off" the tenifer is still there. its pretty much the best thing you can do to a gun. especially a stock gun. go to 1911forum.com you will find what people have to do to their 1911s to get the up to snuff. but i do find it funny how so much knowledge is claimed here by some. i get a text book definition of what tenifer is yet they are unsure if the trigger functions as a single action or double action. i guess this is the internet and google is only a click away.

a single picture is a cite? ive seen people on this forum use pictures as cites and WW and marshal harass that person claiming it was a phony cite even though they were well known stories. not that i care but isnt that a double standard? as for the picture of the rusty glock. ok so one picture of a glock that maybe rusted in a natural disaster? if thats what it takes for a glock to rust im sure most glocks are find under normal weather conditions. but like i said it could have been run off from springs. or it was by something else that was metal and rusted. either way it was exposed to salt water, gas and whatever other chemicals was in the water for a number of days. i would say thats not to bad. at least it survived for the picture. do that to a 1911. im pretty sure i mentioned its fairly low round count and multiple attackers. yet the knowledgeable people dont wanna talk about that because they have to justify their high dollar purchase and out of date 1980s shooting tactics.

believe what you want or stop buying so many guns and use some of that money to take a few classes.

BINGO! I knew it was you, yea we remember the pictures you posted, which actually proved that the holster did not pull the trigger. This is the second CLEAR reference you have made from that thread.

Not only are you a twice banned member, you are here lying about it.

Last edited:

g21sfpistol

Banned
BINGO! I knew it was you, yea we remember the pictures you posted, which actually proved that the holster did not pull the trigger. This is the second CLEAR reference you have made from that thread.

Not only are you a twice banned member, you are here lying about it.

ok ru nuts? you do know you can read older posts on here right? you can even find posts under peoples profiles. who are you talking about?

WalkingWolf

ok ru nuts? you do know you can read older posts on here right? you can even find posts under peoples profiles. who are you talking about?

Enough with the games, your caught. You were the only member to make boyfriend claims, everybody else here knows that Marshoul and I disagree as much as agree. NOW you start going on about the pictures you posted, which nobody claimed they were not real. They just did not prove that a holster pulled a trigger. And we all remember your rants about the glock and plastic holsters. You should have kept your big mouth shut, but you could not resist making the same accusation again. And then going back to the thread you got spanked in.

g21sfpistol

Banned
Enough with the games, your caught. You were the only member to make boyfriend claims, everybody else here knows that Marshoul and I disagree as much as agree. NOW you start going on about the pictures you posted, which nobody claimed they were not real. They just did not prove that a holster pulled a trigger. And we all remember your rants about the glock and plastic holsters. You should have kept your big mouth shut, but you could not resist making the same accusation again. And then going back to the thread you got spanked in.

ok wtf. show me where i even mention a holster? you are getting off topic. is this how you dodge questions? a holster? what holster?

Griz

OK from what I can gather from Glock's site is that the Glock is carried cocked, instead of a manual safety to lock it, the safeties are built into the trigger pull. So a person is just pulling a trigger to move the safeties out of the way to release the striker. Not sure I would be comfortable with that. A short trigger pull that normally would feel stiff, but under duress would feel like butter.

That's why my first carry pistol was a Springfield XD. It has a backstrap safety similar to the 1911. The Glock just felt too easy to let a round loose.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
That's why my first carry pistol was a Springfield XD. It has a backstrap safety similar to the 1911. The Glock just felt too easy to let a round loose.

Just remember that a lot of the negligent discharges were during reholstering, with a finger on the trigger. In cases such as this, you will also have a normal firing grip that deactivates the grip safety.

Also, the XD and XD(m) have a single-action striker; the Glock is a type of DAO with a stiffer trigger, more like a DA revolver (which normally has no safety either.) This is only a small detail, as trigger discipline, of course, is the most important thing.

I'm not correcting you. Just providing some details.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Just remember that a lot of the negligent discharges were during reholstering, with a finger on the trigger. In cases such as this, you will also have a normal firing grip that deactivates the grip safety.

As the XD has no thumb safety, it is necessary to push on the back of the slide with the thumb while holstering to prevent the gun from going out of battery (at least with a tight holster).

Holstering in this fashion happens to also prevent engaging the grip safety.