• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Candidates for Governor on preemption & OC: Inslee supports, McKenna does NOT

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
Alpine... like unto the Alps... the Alps often have snow on their peaks... snow... SNOWJOB!

See! Stream of consciousness thinking DOES work.

Alpine- The fact is, all we have to do is to look at each of their records. We don't even have to listen to the rankings of the NRA or the Brady Campaign.

I'm 53 years old and Rob McKenna is the only politician I've ever been EAGER to vote for.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Alpine,

The campaign is aware of your calls. They do not know who you are and as any campaign in the final stretch avoid unknown responses to controversial subjects, i.e. avoiding the 'gotcha' video/audio or the "October Surprise".

The campaign just seems to be avoiding this issue to attract moderate democrats, not an unusual tactic in a state that hasn't had a republican governor in 30 plus years.

Again, your facts on this states legislative makeup are lacking. There are many democrats from around the state that would never support overturning preemption. The issue will not make it to the governors desk. Otherwise it would of already made it there in the last 20 years. It is likely that the republicans will gain seats in both the house and senate. Do some homework on this issue.

If you are going to vote for Inslee, then you are incredibly ignorant. Look at the 1994 congress. Inslee was ousted from his seat because of his stance on the assault weapons ban vote. And he would support any gun control in Washington that came across the governor's desk, make no mistake.

p.s. I am not associated or close to the McKenna campaign. I just have old contacts from when I was involved in campaigns....20 years ago.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
In addition...

I have seen McKenna speak at chamber of commerce events, small business events, etc.. and I have seen the question of firearms laws be asked almost each and every time. I can say with certainty that McKenna's answers were always consistent and that he does not believe more firearms laws need to be passed. He has said that he believes that our current law is adequate and he supports our current law.

Alpine

Alpine,

The campaign is aware of your calls. They do not know who you are and as any campaign in the final stretch avoid unknown responses to controversial subjects, i.e. avoiding the 'gotcha' video/audio or the "October Surprise".

The campaign just seems to be avoiding this issue to attract moderate democrats, not an unusual tactic in a state that hasn't had a republican governor in 30 plus years.

Again, your facts on this states legislative makeup are lacking. There are many democrats from around the state that would never support overturning preemption. The issue will not make it to the governors desk. Otherwise it would of already made it there in the last 20 years. It is likely that the republicans will gain seats in both the house and senate. Do some homework on this issue.

If you are going to vote for Inslee, then you are incredibly ignorant. Look at the 1994 congress. Inslee was ousted from his seat because of his stance on the assault weapons ban vote. And he would support any gun control in Washington that came across the governor's desk, make no mistake.

p.s. I am not associated or close to the McKenna campaign. I just have old contacts from when I was involved in campaigns....20 years ago.

I've read this thread extensively:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?96633-ALERT-WA-Ceasefire-to-push-O-C-ban-in-2012-!!!!!

I do not share your optimism about the democrats in WA. While I agree it may be unpopular to change gun laws, it might also be wishful thinking to think that after the last several years of highly published gun violence occurring constantly on most news channels and papers that the legislature would avoid new restrictions.

I don't particularly trust Jay Inslee, and I am aware of the 1994 issue, however, if the choice is between someone who is supposedly trustworthy but refuses to make a statement because he's trying to deceive moderate democrats into voting for him by not "talking about guns," and someone who has been anti-gun but who will at least make a statement claiming he is in support of keeping OC and state preemption then it's a tough choice at least. Clearly Inslee has credibility issues, but if McKenna is going to try and ignore positions that people says he believes to attract votes from the opposite party then that is the worst of political opportunism.

What you essentially have is a double-talking democrat vs a RINO. Two very slippery animals.

Will you at least admit that there is reasonable doubt here as to who to trust?

Last edited:

Alpine

Follow this logic...

If this state is so "blue" that McKenna has to avoid talking about guns to attract votes, then how do you know that democrats in the legislature are so gun friendly that they wouldn't try new restrictive legislation in the next session? You can't have it both ways, your logic doesn't add up...

massivedesign

He hasn't avoided it! He has openly discussed it in community forums, televised events and print. His actions over the last decade have also rung true to his words. Just because he wont make a statement to you personally doesn't mean he is a shady politician. His campaign managers JOB is to protect his boss from situations that could be a trap, especially in the final hour of the race.

EMNofSeattle

Follow this logic...

If this state is so "blue" that McKenna has to avoid talking about guns to attract votes, then how do you know that democrats in the legislature are so gun friendly that they wouldn't try new restrictive legislation in the next session? You can't have it both ways, your logic doesn't add up...

troll.jpg

Last edited:

SeattleWingsfan

This is simmple.

McKenna wants as many votes as possible...
Inslee wants as many votes as possible...

Both will do what they see fit to try to aquire those votes. They both want to appeal to both sides. They will leave issues alone if someone might take what they say and twist it so close to elections. Voting records and previous positions are what you know about a canidate...

We know Inslee is not Pro Gun..
We know McKenna is Pro gun..

Just because this is a blue state, does not mean even if many Dems wanted to, that they could get enough support to change the issues your talking about. Lots of Democrats love guns and support us in our views. This state likes guns, there are probably 60 times more concealed permit holders in this state than washington ceasefire members. I know there are more than just those numbers. But those groups are both groups of people that are active and passonate about gun rights. Sure there are lots of people that oppose guns that are not members of WCF, but there are lots of people that have and support those issues that either do not need a Permit, or feel getting one places them on a list.

Even if Inslee got in, I do not know that they could get the changes made. And all the more reason to vote what we "know" of a canidate, than a weird "what if" conspiracy some guy posts that makes no logical sense.

I have a Democratic friend that likes guns, but supports more controls on them. He was a member of WCF and quit, because in his words they were passonate but unreasonable, unrealistic, and had a warped sense of what being a gun owner is.

Just on the fact alone Inslee is open to allowing areas to enact more strict laws is enough to never give him a second thought as a gun owner. That is a can of worms that if ever opened would be a HUGE mess! I have been very leary of getting my GF the Taser she wants because laws on them vary in different areas. If that was the case with guns the court system would be burdened with stupid technicalites, and be a form of gun control because many less passonate gun owners would just stop carrying to not deal with the hassle.

EMNofSeattle

This is simmple.

McKenna wants as many votes as possible...
Inslee wants as many votes as possible...

Both will do what they see fit to try to aquire those votes. They both want to appeal to both sides. They will leave issues alone if someone might take what they say and twist it so close to elections. Voting records and previous positions are what you know about a canidate...

We know Inslee is not Pro Gun..
We know McKenna is Pro gun..

Just because this is a blue state, does not mean even if many Dems wanted to, that they could get enough support to change the issues your talking about. Lots of Democrats love guns and support us in our views. This state likes guns, there are probably 60 times more concealed permit holders in this state than washington ceasefire members. I know there are more than just those numbers. But those groups are both groups of people that are active and passonate about gun rights. Sure there are lots of people that oppose guns that are not members of WCF, but there are lots of people that have and support those issues that either do not need a Permit, or feel getting one places them on a list.

Even if Inslee got in, I do not know that they could get the changes made. And all the more reason to vote what we "know" of a canidate, than a weird "what if" conspiracy some guy posts that makes no logical sense.

I have a Democratic friend that likes guns, but supports more controls on them. He was a member of WCF and quit, because in his words they were passonate but unreasonable, unrealistic, and had a warped sense of what being a gun owner is.

Just on the fact alone Inslee is open to allowing areas to enact more strict laws is enough to never give him a second thought as a gun owner. That is a can of worms that if ever opened would be a HUGE mess! I have been very leary of getting my GF the Taser she wants because laws on them vary in different areas. If that was the case with guns the court system would be burdened with stupid technicalites, and be a form of gun control because many less passonate gun owners would just stop carrying to not deal with the hassle.

Wings, This guy is either a troll, a plant for the Inslee campaign, or just refuses to see any kind of common sense, I think it's time we stop feeding the trolls and watering the plants. He's absolutely convinced that inslee will stand up for his gun rights or he's trying to sow discord. I don't think any amount of logic or argument will help him here.

hermannr

IMHO Inslee = LowryII

Just look at his voting record.

McKenna is a bit to mainstream/moderate/progressive Republician for my tastes...(I am much more to the Ron Paul/Libertarian wing) but when it comes to McKenna V Inslee????you really must be kidding Inslee's voting record speaks for itself.

Alpine

Wings, This guy is either a troll, a plant for the Inslee campaign, or just refuses to see any kind of common sense, I think it's time we stop feeding the trolls and watering the plants. He's absolutely convinced that inslee will stand up for his gun rights or he's trying to sow discord. I don't think any amount of logic or argument will help him here.

This is the last time I'll address you, though given your usual behavior on threads and propensity to spam the forums even this might be a mistake.

I'm not a "troll" or a "plant." I'm also not convinced Inslee will do anything, it just angers me to see politicians avoiding stances to get votes and then we're expected to "hope" that we'll do what some people think they will. I don't appreciate your rude comments, pictures, spam, etc., and I'd kindly ask you to stop.

I don't trust Inslee as far as I can throw him, I really don't. However, if the other major candidate refuses to make a statement because they're just politically maneuvering for votes, then what would a McKenna admin. look like that's trying to run for re-election in 2016? Is the WA electorate somehow going to get magically more gun friendly in 3 years?

The more I think about this the more I'd like to vote 3rd party, and while I don't always believe that doing that is throwing my vote away, in local and state races it often can be. I just have a hard time understanding why the Inslee campaign would be able to make that statement if it's so dangerous to do this publicly.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
This is the last time I'll address you, though given your usual behavior on threads and propensity to spam the forums even this might be a mistake.

I'm not a "troll" or a "plant." I'm also not convinced Inslee will do anything, it just angers me to see politicians avoiding stances to get votes and then we're expected to "hope" that we'll do what some people think they will. I don't appreciate your rude comments, pictures, spam, etc., and I'd kindly ask you to stop.

I don't trust Inslee as far as I can throw him, I really don't. However, if the other major candidate refuses to make a statement because they're just politically maneuvering for votes, then what would a McKenna admin. look like that's trying to run for re-election in 2016? Is the WA electorate somehow going to get magically more gun friendly in 3 years?

The more I think about this the more I'd like to vote 3rd party, and while I don't always believe that doing that is throwing my vote away, in local and state races it often can be. I just have a hard time understanding why the Inslee campaign would be able to make that statement if it's so dangerous to do this publicly.

Where is the Inslee press release regarding the statement you allege?

Here is McKenna's

[video=youtube;KKkib10k6hI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKkib10k6hI[/video]

p.s. There are no 3rd party candidates in Washington as we have a top 2 primary.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Spam is unsolicited bulk advertising conducted over the internet. nice try though. What is it on my "usual behavior" that alarms you? I have differing views with other users on the role of government yes, but I generally agree with most people here. It is true I have a knack to seem condescending at times, that I fully acknowledge

Now let's look at your behavior, you've had about 15 posts, roughly 5 of them indicate your trying to get solid statements from McKenna in this fashion. you post up a thread with a dishonest title stating that McKenna does not support OC and preemption because he won't personally call and assure you of that despite numerous materials and actions in the past that indicate this.

You also claimed on your first post to be studying polysci, yet you've shown little grasp of the workings of our political system. You've confused the role of different branches of government and then claimed you may vote for a third party when that cannot be done in this state. Your false conclusion (that McKenna will not support gun rights) based on a false premises (his office is the only thing protecting the law, and that he is not fit for that office becuase you can't reach his staff) constitutes an invalid argument (this is basic logic).

I have posted material from McKenna's campaign indicating he does support gun rights, I have also posted that I met Rob in person and asked him about OC, He told me he had met Nick (gogodawgs) and that he would give me the same assurances as nick that he supports open carry.

I'm here with McKenna in person in this photo
197473_378046442275593_543557883_n.jpg

You have the assurances of a very respected members of this forum who has been on here for much longer then us that Rob supports our OC and preemption, this respected member has also told you why your contact was ignored and got that managers assurances of Rob's support

And yet you're still here knocking on Rob claiming some malevolent conspiracy between Rob and Randy Pepple that he's going to take your rights!

You've been proven wrong and are still harping on the same wrong message!

SeattleWingsfan

Thanks for posting the video...

The thing I don't get is why do so many gun owners think the Democrats in our state are so anti gun? Sure there are some. But the last gun related bill that went through, was what 88-4 on House side and 47-0 in the senate for approval. I worked hard on helping get it passed and i talked to lots of Democrats on that issue and very very few spoke against it. Infact they really didn't speak against it they just didn't speak to it at all.

People all over the country have been becoming more involved in gun rights. Laws are changing in our favor all over. Many reasons for it, peoples views on government, things going on in the world, and many more factors.

As far as politically maneuvering to get votes and what the Admin would look like in 2016....? If he gets in there this election, my thought on what the campaign would look like for 2016 is SUCCESSFUL.

*** My concerns about where we NEED to worry about gun rights falls more at the federal level than the state level. I feel that if we need help there McKenna will be who we need not Inslee... ***

Last edited: