• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Candidates for Governor on preemption & OC: Inslee supports, McKenna does NOT

Alpine

Candidates for Governor on preemption & OC: Inslee supports, McKenna no comment

Since ballots are out today, I decided to finally post this. I've delayed it as long as possible.
Before anyone jumps in, yeah, let me say I was not expecting this outcome. Read this whole story and you will have an idea of what I have gone through.

I have had a hell of a time getting in touch with both of these campaigns over the last few months. I am no stranger to politics, I used to work for politicians, both in campaigns and in their government offices. I studied politics in college, that's what my degree is in. I got sick of politics after the 2008 election and went into a different career but I still remember everything I learned. I know the right things to say to get past hapless underlings and interns, and I know enough people to get through when I need to on both sides.

Let me tell you this story.

I began at the end of August trying to reach both campaigns and get their position on state preemption and open carry. I was a new member of the forum (although I've been reading here for a lot longer than that) and I figured after getting the info. I could post it here so you guys could see it and be informed before ballots got sent out.
Why is this important? Because, as you all know, Seattle's gun ban and other cities' gun bans failed. In the case of Seattle it was thrown out by the WA Supreme Court. What did McGinn and his Ceasefire henchmen vow to do? They vowed to lobby Olympia to change preemption and probably OC too during the next legislative session. In short, the next Governor could very well hold the fate of state preemption and OC in their hands. We need to know where the candidates stand.

I began with contacting a few friends of mine still in politics as to who are the right people to contact. They put me in touch with the following people:

McKenna Campaign:
Adam Faber - Policy Director at Friends of Rob McKenna
Hannah Stearns - Policy Assistant at Friends of Rob McKenna

Inslee Campaign:
Richard Lazaro - Campaign Policy Associate

August 30th:
I got their email addresses and phone numbers. I immediately emailed all of them, got no response.

September 7th:
I started phoning.
The McKenna campaign put me through to voicemail claiming both persons were busy.
The Inslee campaign put me through to voicemail claiming the person was busy.

I kept calling about every other day until September 14th, when I finally got through to Richard at the Inslee campaign.
He apologized for not getting back to me and he and I spoke in great detail.
I told him about why preemption is important to this organization and to the foundation of OC, and I asked him the candidate's position on those two issues.
Summary:
Richard told me that Jay Inslee supports current state law, that he believes in keeping firearms regulations at the state level since it makes sense "not to have lots of municipalities all trying to make their own rules" as well as supporting open carry in current law and would keep current law.

Now, I took this with a grain of salt. After all, we all know what the NRA's rating of Inslee is, and I felt sure that we could get a similar pledge from McKenna who would be infinitely more trustworthy on this kind of issue.
HOWEVER, follow me over the next month to now.

For the next 30 days I began to get more and more worried.
I was emailing the campaign about once every 3 days, trying the main email address as well as both of the staff, no luck.
I was phoning at first about once every 4-5 days and after 2 weeks, I began calling every day. In the last week until now, I was calling 3 times a day. For over a month solid, every time I called both Adam and Hannah were "busy" or "out of the office" or "in a meeting." I pleaded with them to take 30 seconds and give a statement at least matching what Inslee had. I tried explaining about how close the election would be and would they really want to see another Rossi-type situation. I called often enough that I got to know the regular intern phone rotation at the McKenna HQ. These are some of the phone interns: Moe, Ryan, Natalie, Frankie.
I even toyed with the idea of pretending to be someone else, since I was usually told they were unavailable after I identified myself and what I was calling about, but I figured I knew what was going on...

...the sad and painful truth is all my political experience came back to me. It's very obvious. McKenna's big thing this campaign and how he's trying to win is that he's branding himself as a "moderate" and even boasts there is an organization called "Democrats for Rob McKenna." He is trying to distance himself from the Republicans nationally as well as in the state. When Ryan and Romney have visited he ignored their rallies and would not meet with them.
I finally got it: McKenna was purposefully avoiding any association with a gun-rights group in his quest to appear more liberal to win here.

I even sent them this photograph in an email to show them how absurd it was for him to pretend he didn't know who we are (NOTE: I am not claiming to be any of the people in the photo or claiming to speak on behalf of all of OCDO, I just told them I was a member. The photo is just an example of McKenna appearing publicly with people who were OCing to show he knows what OC is and that OCDO exists):
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9353&d=1329030020

Then I started thinking about this thread:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?107328-Even-the-AG-office-has-it-wrong

And despite the fact that as AG McKenna initially wrote some pro-OC opinions several years ago, that it's been a while and his refusing to take a position on preemption and OC now all starts to make sense with what his office is saying.

Yes, I know there is a youtube video he made back in the beginning of 2012 where he vaguely says he supports the "right to bear arms" but I'm sure you'll agree it's woefully inadequate. Also inadequate are his statements about firearms in the debates. He is also famous for when in July he literally ran away from a reporter asking him a gun rights question, all the while shouting "I'm not ready for this."

As crazy as it is, I think I will be voting for Inslee because his campaign has stated they will support preemption and OC, while the McKenna campaign will NOT make any kind of a statement that they support it. Now, before anyone goes off about the budget, taxes, etc., I'll tell you this, on the rest of the issues the candidates seem virtually identical, and with 1185 looking to pass yet again for the 4th or 5th time, neither candidate will be able to raise taxes.
Also, for those who think McKenna secretly supports OC and preemption and just doesn't want to "say it publicly," I have two responses for you:
-you shouldn't support politicians like that
-you can't trust that since McKenna would probably want a second term so he'd overcompensate and be more liberal than even most democrats to increase his chances for 2016 if he wins in 2012.

If anyone here wants to check on this I urge you, try to get a hold of the McKenna campaign. Call them up, ask to speak to Adam or Hannah and see what happens.
I even tried complaining to the McKenna campaign manager Randy Pepple, but he would not respond either, which makes me think he's on-board with it too.

(edit for clarification re: the picture)

Update: It seems the McKenna campaign is purposefully avoiding a public statement on this to attract "moderate democrat" voters...

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Since ballots are out today, I decided to finally post this. I've delayed it as long as possible.
Before anyone jumps in, yeah, let me say I was not expecting this outcome. Read this whole story and you will have an idea of what I have gone through.

I have had a hell of a time getting in touch with both of these campaigns over the last few months. I am no stranger to politics, I used to work for politicians, both in campaigns and in their government offices. I studied politics in college, that's what my degree is in. I got sick of politics after the 2008 election and went into a different career but I still remember everything I learned. I know the rights things to say to get past hapless underlings and interns, and I know enough people to get through when I need to on both sides.

Let me tell you this story.

I began at the end of August trying to reach both campaigns and get their position on state preemption and open carry. I was a new member of the forum (although I've been reading here for a lot longer than that) and I figured after getting the info. I could post it here so you guys could see it and be informed before ballots got sent out.
Why is this important? Because, as you all know, Seattle's gun ban and other cities' gun bans failed. In the case of Seattle it was thrown out by the WA Supreme Court. What did McGinn and his Ceasefire henchmen vow to do? They vowed to lobby Olympia to change preemption and probably OC too during the next legislative session. In short, the next Governor could very well hold the fate of state preemption and OC in their hands. We need to know where the candidates stand.

I began with contacting a few friends of mine still in politics as to who are the right people to contact. They put me in touch with the following people:

McKenna Campaign:
Adam Faber - Policy Director at Friends of Rob McKenna
Hannah Stearns - Policy Assistant at Friends of Rob McKenna

Inslee Campaign:
Richard Lazaro - Campaign Policy Associate

August 30th:
I got their email addresses and phone numbers. I immediately emailed all of them, got no response.

September 7th:
I started phoning.
The McKenna campaign put me through to voicemail claiming both persons were busy.
The Inslee campaign put me through to voicemail claiming the person was busy.

I kept calling about every other day until September 14th, when I finally got through to Richard at the Inslee campaign.
He apologized for not getting back to me and he and I spoke in great detail.
I told him about why preemption is important to this organization and to the foundation of OC, and I asked him the candidate's position on those two issues.
Summary:
Richard told me that Jay Inslee supports current state law, that he believes in keeping firearms regulations at the state level since it makes sense "not to have lots of municipalities all trying to make their own rules" as well as supporting open carry in current law and would keep current law.

Now, I took this with a grain of salt. After all, we all know what the NRA's rating of Inslee is, and I felt sure that we could get a similar pledge from McKenna who would be infinitely more trustworthy on this kind of issue.
HOWEVER, follow me over the next month to now.

For the next 30 days I began to get more and more worried.
I was emailing the campaign about once every 3 days, trying the main email address as well as both of the staff, no luck.
I was phoning at first about once every 4-5 days and after 2 weeks, I began calling every day. In the last week until now, I was calling 3 times a day. For over a month solid, every time I called both Adam and Hannah were "busy" or "out of the office" or "in a meeting." I pleaded with them to take 30 seconds and give a statement at least matching what Inslee had. I tried explaining about how close the election would be and would they really want to see another Rossi-type situation. I called often enough that I got to know the regular intern phone rotation at the McKenna HQ. These are some of the phone interns: Moe, Ryan, Natalie, Frankie.
I even toyed with the idea of pretending to be someone else, since I was usually told they were unavailable after I identified myself and what I was calling about, but I figured I knew what was going on...

...the sad and painful truth is all my political experience came back to me. It's very obvious. McKenna's big thing this campaign and how he's trying to win is that he's branding himself as a "moderate" and even boasts there is an organization called "Democrats for Rob McKenna." He is trying to distance himself from the Republicans nationally as well as in the state. When Ryan and Romney have visited he ignored their rallies and would not meet with them.
I finally got it: McKenna was purposefully avoiding any association with a gun-rights group in his quest to appear more liberal to win here.

I even sent them this photograph in an email to show them how absurd it was for him to pretend he didn't know who we are:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9353&d=1329030020

Then I started thinking about this thread:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?107328-Even-the-AG-office-has-it-wrong

And despite the fact that as AG McKenna initially wrote some pro-OC opinions several years ago, that it's been a while and his refusing to take a position on preemption and OC now all starts to make sense with what his office is saying.

Yes, I know there is a youtube video he made back in the beginning of 2012 where he vaguely says he supports the "right to bear arms" but I'm sure you'll agree it's woefully inadequate. Also inadequate are his statements about firearms in the debates. He is also famous for when in July he literally ran away from a reporter asking him a gun rights question, all the while shouting "I'm not ready for this."

As crazy as it is, I think I will be voting for Inslee because his campaign has stated they will support preemption and OC, while the McKenna campaign will NOT make any kind of a statement that they support it. Now, before anyone goes off about the budget, taxes, etc., I'll tell you this, on the rest of the issues the candidates seem virtually identical, and with 1185 looking to pass yet again for the 4th or 5th time, neither candidate will be able to raise taxes.
Also, for those who think McKenna secretly supports OC and preemption and just doesn't want to "say it publicly," I have two responses for you:
-you shouldn't support politicians like that
-you can't trust that since McKenna would probably want a second term so he'd overcompensate and be more liberal than even most democrats to increase his chances for 2016 if he wins in 2012.

If anyone here wants to check on this I urge you, try to get a hold of the McKenna campaign. Call them up, ask to speak to Adam or Hannah and see what happens.
I even tried complaining to the McKenna campaign manager Randy Pepple, but he would not respond either, which makes me think he's on-board with it too.

Dude I talked to McKenna in person, he gave me solid assurances he supports OC. He also has the NRA's endorsement. Preemption is not going anywhere, some state rep that no has heard of who represents seattle will put it up a couple times in committee, and that's where any preemption repeal will die.

Also inslee wants to regulate and ban private sales, He even said so in the first debate he had with McKenna, so you'll vote for a candidate who admits to wanting to push gun control and has a bad rating with the NRA because the campaign has better things to do with the election three weeks ago then talk to some guy who's harassing them over an issue that McKenna has already publically taken your side on?

If you've ever worked in a political election campaign (which I have, and am for Rob McKenna) you'll know that these people are extremely busy, there is no way they can respond to every single query made of the campaign at crunch time before the election. if you include an offer to volunteer for the party in exchange for the info you may get more luck in an answers. but your title is a lie, you're projecting that McKenna somehow is secretly a die-hard anti who's coming for your preemption based on the fact no one has gotten back to you. you really need to go work in a campaign just to understand how much the people working in it actually have to do.

Alpine

I didn't try to get a hold of them at the last minute, I gave them almost two months heads-up and one of the campaigns responded. I tried nearly every method of communication, except for smoke signals. I networked with about 30 different people on this and most of those associated with the McKenna campaign, including some senior officials in the state GOP could not believe that McKenna was publicly shunning gun rights issues like this.

I have worked in politics for many years, and I know the right people when you want to get through.

Hell, I even got John Carlson to try and get the McKenna campaign to say something after McKenna was on his show, he was shocked when they didn't and when Rob personally avoided the issue with him.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

I didn't try to get a hold of them at the last minute, I gave them almost two months heads-up and one of the campaigns responded. I tried nearly every method of communication, except for smoke signals. I networked with about 30 different people on this and most of those associated with the McKenna campaign, including some senior officials in the state GOP could not believe that McKenna was publicly shunning gun rights issues like this.

I have worked in politics for many years, and I know the right people when you want to get through.

Hell, I even got John Carlson to try and get the McKenna campaign to say something after McKenna was on his show, he was shocked when they didn't.

Really, you have a podcast of that show? what date and at what time did you talk to him?

go ahead and do what you're going to do. no one can tell you how to vote. if you're convinced that McKenna is engaged in some conspiracy to take your guns then go on ahead and vote inslee. The gun rights issue is a third rail, the only thing that may change in this state is public support may be enflamed to ban gun show transactions, which Inslee has clearly stated he thinks is a reasonable restriction.

I doubt McKenna himself has even seen or heard any of your communication. his staff is ignoring you becuase you're wasting their time.

He's already explained his position and past actions here
http://www.robmckenna.org/blog/2012/02/question-week-gun-rights

EMNofSeattle

Hey!

Did you just read that, let me quote this for you Alpine

Local control

Seattle banned guns in parks in 2009, but that was overturned by the courts, which ruled state law pre-empts local authority to adopt firearms regulations.

Inslee said he's open to the idea of allowing communities to pass more restrictive laws.

So I thought preemption was your single issue? you must be feeling very confused right now...

SeattleWingsfan

I haven't never tried to talk to Inslee about anything. I have met Rob in person many times. I don't think either canidate is going to make bold statements about gun control issues now. Rob has clearly shown to support gun rights, I'll trust he will continue to do the same. They have a lot of issues to cover during the elections and probably want to be as middle road as possible. Thats politics...

I do not see OC or preemption changing anytime soon. As liberal as this state is, we like our guns.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I am that guy

So are you a plant for Inslee?

First, your statement "In short, the next Governor could very well hold the fate of state preemption and OC in their hands. We need to know where the candidates stand." is false. And if you are a political operative you know that. The fate falls in the make up of the legislature. Any polisci 101 student would know that. By the way my degree is in poli sci and history from the UW and I worked for Slade Gorton.

Second, I am the guy in this picture on the left. So I just got off the phone with Randy Pepple, Rob stands for preemption and OC.

251304_1377118844509_597015_n.jpg

Third, Inslee voted for Clinton's assault weapon ban in 1993 and was ousted on the 1994 landslide election. Of course Inslee would say that he want's the law to be the same otherwise he would face a second trouncing.

If you are not a plant give me your name and facebook page.

Metalhead47

Very simple choice for me. Inslee is a die-hard, true believing, kool-aid drinking, left wing bleeding heart liberal democrat. McKenna is a typical wishy-washy centrist republican. I'll take the latter over the former any day. That will do less damage.

SeattleWingsfan

I TRUST Gogodogs call to Rob's cheif of staff, over some strange stance out of left field that is 180 degrees from my own conversations with Rob a few months ago.

point..... McKenna

BTW, I am also glad to see Dunn is really gaining more and more support everyday. Having Bob as AG would not be good...

Last edited:

Alpine

I am willing to admit I am wrong if...

So are you a plant for Inslee?

First, your statement "In short, the next Governor could very well hold the fate of state preemption and OC in their hands. We need to know where the candidates stand." is false. And if you are a political operative you know that. The fate falls in the make up of the legislature. Any polisci 101 student would know that. By the way my degree is in poli sci and history from the UW and I worked for Slade Gorton.

Second, I am the guy in this picture on the left. So I just got off the phone with Randy Pepple, Rob stands for preemption and OC.

View attachment 9417

Third, Inslee voted for Clinton's assault weapon ban in 1993 and was ousted on the 1994 landslide election. Of course Inslee would say that he want's the law to be the same otherwise he would face a second trouncing.

If you are not a plant give me your name and facebook page.

Gogogodawgs, thanks for responding. First I'd like to say I have great respect for you and the other guy in the picture to demonstrate our rights in front of the AG, that helps a lot, and you have my thanks. I'd definitely like to meet you sometime in person at an OC gathering.

About the political situation, the governor holds veto power over the legislature. Though the democrats are many, I doubt they'd overturn a veto (I don't even know if they have the numbers to do it and can get that kind of party-line on gun issues) on something like this though I wouldn't put it past them to try it in the first place to see if they could sneak it by. And for the record I've worked for the Republicans up in AK and the Democrats here in WA.

You talked to Randy Pepple today and he didn't mention me? It does seem odd that I'd have to tell you my name after I've left him, Hannah and Adam about 100+ messages all with my name, number, email, etc. You should be able to confirm I am for real pretty easily if you can just ring him on the phone. I'm not expecting him to give away my personal info., but he should instantly know who I am if you mention what I've been calling about.
Maybe you can also ask him why Rob will not release a public statement in favor of aggressively keeping current state law as governor up to and including vetoing legislation that tries to change it.
Believe me, I would love to admit I am wrong, and take down the thread title or change it to show that McKenna supports OC. I would vote for McKenna in a heart beat if he released a statement about preemption and OC and what he'd do as governor in the next session.

Since you seem to be close to the campaign, can you get them to release a statement, maybe a quick email or even a solid, specific verbal statement about Rob's intentions on what he'd do if faced with legislation in the next session that would threaten preemption or OC? If so I'd be grateful and would change my original post accordingly.

As for the other guys, while I understand some of the comments about my low post count, I am not the type to spam to get my post count higher, so I find it ironic that someone who does it accusing me of being fake. That said, I can assure everyone I am very interested in being part of this community, which is why I finally signed up after reading here for such a long time. You'll find that I don't post very often, but I like to post about substantive stuff.

Last edited:

massivedesign

Rob has gone on record, in his video blog as well as in print about his stance on guns. Rob has a picture with two of OCDO's most active members. Rob has upheld preemption in the opinion letter regarding the Seattle Parks Gun ban.

Nick has a personal confirmation from Rob's guy that gun's are safe.

Inslee voted for the AW ban, and lost his seat because of it. Inslee has recently gone on record (quoted above), which actions would eliminate preemption.

You have a personal confirmation from Inslee's guy that guns are safe.

I'll still stick with the guy who walks the walk.