• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Candidates for Governor on preemption & OC: Inslee supports, McKenna does NOT

SeattleWingsfan

I just have a hard time understanding why the Inslee campaign would be able to make that statement if it's so dangerous to do this publicly.

I went back and read this thread again.

Inlee can make that statement because his voting record speaks for itself to Democrats and anti gun people...They love him. He makes the statement and maybe he fools some ignorant progun people to vote for him.

Makes perfect sense.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Alpine you just joined in Aug 2012 and the only topic you post to has to do with the Governor's Race I would imagine once the vote is done you will be as well.
Smells of a political trick bag to creating misinformation but it squarely landed back in your lap and I personally feel it did or will do little good for changing the vote here.

EMNofSeattle

I went back and read this thread again.

Inlee can make that statement because his voting record speaks for itself to Democrats and anti gun people...They love him. He makes the statement and maybe he fools some ignorant progun people to vote for him.

Makes perfect sense.

Exactly. +1

I can't in any fathom how anyone can look at all available evidence including what the OP and Gogodawgs posted and then say that Rob McKenna does not support OC and preemption.
Inslee's intern claims he "supports preemption" to the OP, but he himself has publically stated he opposes preemption. this doesn't follow.

Alpine

No, believe me, I'll be here long after the election, I appreciate opencarry and I am here to say. I half wonder if the vast majority of those insulting me will have the guts to say it to my face in person at some of these OC meetups. For my part I've kept my posts here civil and respectful.

I am looking at this from the point of political practicality, because I've found it's usually the most useful.

It's very important when looking at a potential republican governor for a state with a vast majority democrat legislature to know exactly what that candidate values and what he's willing to "give up" in trade.

I want all of you to think of other well-known RINO governors of states with democrat legislatures like: Schwarzeneggar, Romney, etc.

Both of the examples above, and many other New England ones as well, are all GOP Governors who signed anti-gun legislation as a form of trade/barter with their democrat legislatures to get other things they wanted.

Why is this important and relevant here? McKenna himself says he doesn't own many guns and it's been years since he shot one. When making deals with the democrat legislature how much do you think McKenna would protect preemption and open carry if he was looking to make a trade to get something he wanted, like for instance, his biggest issue: education reform (which he will be fighting the WEA Union and all their henchmen) as well as the budget and taxes? For someone as lukewarm and "moderate" as McKenna, I think gun rights would probably be one of the first things he'd offer up just to appease the democrats, not necessarily because they want it all that bad but because it's not as important to him as his other key issues. This is why RINO governors are bad, and just plain dangerous when you are dealing with split government.

Far from keeping quiet about this to attract democratic votes in WA, McKenna may well be keeping very vague on the subject of guns and silent on preemption/OC to avoid having video clips or articles thrown in his face when he gives it up.
Or are you all going to deny what happened in California, Massachusetts, and other places where RINOs backstabbed firearms rights?

Gogogodawgs, I didn't get a written statement from the Inslee campaign, but at this point given the legwork I've put in and the complete avoidance the McKenna campaign has shown to this, it leaves me with a lot of questions. Is there any way you could convince them to issue even a verbal statement to you personally that as governor he'd protect preemption with a veto if necessary? Given your reputation here I'd be willing to trust your word on the matter and change/delete this thread.

Last edited:

massivedesign

Alpine,

If you think Inslee is a man of high ground and will protect gun rights in a barter situation, I don't know what to tell you. McKenna has, as Assistant AG and then as AG shown time and time again to uphold and not waiver with in regards to the laws of WA Residents and their rights. Not just gun rights. This is the basis of his campaign, the foundation of it. His history in Govt. has shown he doesn't gamble with the rights of the residents.

Are there things I do not like about McKenna? Sure! But since this is the land of two evils, to me, it's a no brainer.

I don't think you are succeeding in trying to convince others to sway to the Inslee side. Especially since during one of the recent debates, Inslee talked about wanting to close the gun show loophole (which there is no loophole), because "Washington Gun shows are selling guns to terrorists"... Seriously? Why would I put ANY faith in my 2A rights to a person who is clueless about the 2A environment in WA?

Alpine

Alpine,

If you think Inslee is a man of high ground and will protect gun rights in a barter situation, I don't know what to tell you. McKenna has, as Assistant AG and then as AG shown time and time again to uphold and not waiver with in regards to the laws of WA Residents and their rights. Not just gun rights. This is the basis of his campaign, the foundation of it. His history in Govt. has shown he doesn't gamble with the rights of the residents.

Are there things I do not like about McKenna? Sure! But since this is the land of two evils, to me, it's a no brainer.

I don't think you are succeeding in trying to convince others to sway to the Inslee side. Especially since during one of the recent debates, Inslee talked about wanting to close the gun show loophole (which there is no loophole), because "Washington Gun shows are selling guns to terrorists"... Seriously? Why would I put ANY faith in my 2A rights to a person who is clueless about the 2A environment in WA?

Actually, you kind of nailed one of my concerns right on the spot. Since he doesn't have experience dealing with legislators (and we know what they are often like), I wonder if that means he'll be ill-prepared to deal with them as governor and more likely to not compromise on anything, or if like someone who is a virgin to a used-car lot getting taken his first time out.
I watched the debates closely and I was encouraged by how McKenna kept pointing out Inslee's treacherousness as a federal congressman, but then I always had misgivings about how moderate and "willing to compromise" he always portrayed himself as. It makes me wonder if we'd see the same performance that he gave as the AG as governor?

SeattleWingsfan

What we need more than anything is someone who will stick to laws we have, we don't need a back door dealing politician in office. McKenna can reform schools without waivering on gun rights. To think we need to lose one to gain another is rediculous. Reform doesn't mean we need new laws either, maybe we need an audit to see where money is being wasted and hold some people accountable. To me someone that has done such a good job in the AGs office might just be a great Governor.

Either way I think we are all over this. I am all for being open minded...

However if somone tells me my black car is red, I'll be less open minded to his ideas than if he told me it was a shade of grey.

massivedesign

Actually, you kind of nailed one of my concerns right on the spot. Since he doesn't have experience dealing with legislators (and we know what they are often like), I wonder if that means he'll be ill-prepared to deal with them as governor and more likely to not compromise on anything, or if like someone who is a virgin to a used-car lot getting taken his first time out.
I watched the debates closely and I was encouraged by how McKenna kept pointing out Inslee's treacherousness as a federal congressman, but then I always had misgivings about how moderate and "willing to compromise" he always portrayed himself as. It makes me wonder if we'd see the same performance that he gave as the AG as governor?

Yes, I think he can hold his own. He has been involved with WA Govt. for many years. When it comes to the process of law making, and fair law enforcement, I could think of no better person than the chief law enforcement officer in the state, the Attorney General. For him, this is a natural progression in his career, unlike Inslee who is looking to make a comeback after getting ousted by the voters many moons ago.

For me, it's a matter of who I think will represent the PEOPLE of the State of Washington the best. What we need is actual data and follow through by a person who has been hands on in WA for many many continuous years. Not just some "Lean Management", but some hands on management.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
Interesting thread, let me see if I have ths right....

Alpine claims an Inslee staffer told him that Inslee was pro OC and pro preemption. That word, from an unidentified underling, is supposedly good enough to counter Inslee's long standing and well documented performance regarding 2A issues and leads Alpine to declare publically the Inslee is the one, even in the absence of any official statement or public release from the Inslee campaign.

Meanwhile, absent any communication from the McKenna campaign, and counter to McKenna's long standing and well documented support of gun owners and 2A causes, testimonials from highly regarded forum members, public statements, AG Opinions, recorded statements, etc. Alpine feels that he can honestly proclaim that McKenna is NOT in support of OC and preemption.

That seems a little bit of a stretch, and by his own posts, Alpine has nothing at all to support the claim he makes in the thread title. He just doesn't have what he wants and is "concerned", "unconvinced", and "worried".

If Alpine can't say McKenna is for OC and preemption due to the lack of response to repeated queries, then based on that same lack of response, how can Alpine say McKenna is against them? In the absence of the only information Alpine seems willing to accept (statement from McKenna or staff) how can Alpine say what McKenna's position is?

If Alpine had any integrity at all he would at least change the claim on McKenna's position to "unknown".

Last edited:

Alpine

Interesting thread, let me see if I have ths right....

Alpine claims an Inslee staffer told him that Inslee was pro OC and pro preemption. That word, from an unidentified underling, is supposedly good enough to counter Inslee's long standing and well documented performance regarding 2A issues and leads Alpine to declare publically the Inslee is the one, even in the absence of any official statement or public release from the Inslee campaign.

Meanwhile, absent any communication from the McKenna campaign, and counter to McKenna's long standing and well documented support of gun owners and 2A causes, testimonials from highly regarded forum members, public statements, AG Opinions, recorded statements, etc. Alpine feels that he can honestly proclaim that McKenna is NOT in support of OC and preemption.

That seems a little bit of a stretch, and by his own posts, Alpine has nothing at all to support the claim he makes in the thread title. He just doesn't have what he wants and is "concerned", "unconvinced", and "worried".

If Alpine can't say McKenna is for OC and preemption due to the lack of response to repeated queries, then based on that same lack of response, how can Alpine say McKenna is against them? In the absence of the only information Alpine seems willing to accept (statement from McKenna or staff) how can Alpine say what McKenna's position is?

If Alpine had any integrity at all he would at least change the claim on McKenna's position to "unknown".

I actually did try and change the title but it only showed up in the sub-header of the first post, for some reason I can't change the main title at the very top. If one of the mods could change it to "unknown" or "no comment" I'd appreciate it.

That said, in logic, something does NOT exist until it does, the old saying, "if you chose not to decide you still have made a choice." At the very least McKenna's gambling with avoiding being too close publicly with gun rights groups will cost him, I can't be the only one out there grumbling about why he isn't forthright on this important issue to us.

EMNofSeattle

I actually did try and change the title but it only showed up in the sub-header of the first post, for some reason I can't change the main title at the very top. If one of the mods could change it to "unknown" or "no comment" I'd appreciate it.

That said, in logic, something does NOT exist until it does, the old saying, "if you chose not to decide you still have made a choice." At the very least McKenna's gambling with avoiding being too close publicly with gun rights groups will cost him, I can't be the only one out there grumbling about why he isn't forthright on this important issue to us.

Why he isn't forthright? You can't be serious? We've posted videos, news statements, pictures, and witnesses to several public events where McKenna has specifically stated he supports OC and preemption. It is absolutely ridicolous that you are still out here saying that.