• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC while handing out Halloween candy

s&w_M&P_owner

Alright guys, so Halloween is quickly coming upon us. Here's what I've got: I'm one of only 3 houses on this end of the street (yes, you read that right, only 3 houses including ours) that hands out candy on Halloween night. The problem is: I've been in NC for almost 6 years now, and every Halloween, without fail, I get a group of hoods and troublemakers that come around here every year whether or not I set up a display and hand out candy, or just hand out candy. Also, we've been having a problem with a lot of burglary, theft, and assault around here (seems I can't read the local news site anymore without seeing someone being arrested for breaking and entering, assault, or theft of some type). This year though is different than the past 4 years, since I bought my 9mm at the end of last year. So I want to know what you guys think of OC on Halloween night while handing out candy. I stand/sit outside because we have a giant hole in our yard that I make sure no one falls into. I more want to carry for the safety of the kids and the parents. As far as costumes go, I don't do costumes. I normally just wear a pair of my good jeans, and the shirt that I bought at the range I shoot at in Greensboro. I read quite a few posts on here in favor of it, but just want get a broader opinion. If it helps any, I live in Reidsville, which is very supportive of OC'ers (in both LEO's and civilians).

Thanks ahead of time.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Do you go about your day with your pistol OC'd? Do you wear it even when at home?

Then why change just because it is Halloween?

(And if you don't OC at home already, why not?)

stay safe.

s&w_M&P_owner

Do you go about your day with your pistol OC'd? Do you wear it even when at home?

Then why change just because it is Halloween?

(And if you don't OC at home already, why not?)

stay safe.

The answers to those questions: While in town, yes. While in the house (especially at night): yes. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't breaking any laws or doing anything that could be detrimental to the OC movement. I have a feeling most people around here have already seen me anyway.

twoskinsonemanns

+1 to skidmark. OC 100% of the time I'm legally allowed to. This includes 100% of the time I'm on my property.

bc.cruiser

Asking for more opinions shows you may be considering not carrying. As above, if you normally carry at home and the locals are OC aware and friendly, do it. If you still have some doubt about it you could simply wear a longer shirt that at least covers the handgrip; you are on your own property and no CHP is needed. That way you stay armed and nobody should get upset.

Or dress up as a cowboy, cop, etc. and wear the gun as part of the costume.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Asking for more opinions shows you may be considering not carrying. As above, if you normally carry at home and the locals are OC aware and friendly, do it. If you still have some doubt about it you could simply wear a longer shirt that at least covers the handgrip; you are on your own property and no CHP is needed. That way you stay armed and nobody should get upset.

If he has some doubt/lack of confidence, I'd suggest he spend some time with an experienced OCer. The object is to acclimate people to OC, not to conceal it.

They best give you ALL their candy huh? :uhoh:

Sounds like a bad joke I'd hear from an anti - jus' sayin'.

s&w_M&P_owner

It's not my property though, it's my stepfather's house (I still live @ home at near age 23 because I can't find a job around here), and I don't have any holster for CC anyway (the whole tucking into your waistband thing just doesn't seem safe to me at least). Yeah, I've never had a problem with any civilians or LEO's around here in the whole 8 months I've carried. From what my stepfather says, the LEO's here are pretty good about OC, even though CC is more common in Reidsville. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't breaking any laws or anything. So it looks like I'll be OC'ing for Halloween this year :D (Honestly, from what I can tell, most people think that my M&P is an airsoft gun anyway, because of the polymer frame)

cricketdad

Alright guys, so Halloween is quickly coming upon us. Here's what I've got: I'm one of only 3 houses on this end of the street (yes, you read that right, only 3 houses including ours) that hands out candy on Halloween night. The problem is: I've been in NC for almost 6 years now, and every Halloween, without fail, I get a group of hoods and troublemakers that come around here every year whether or not I set up a display and hand out candy, or just hand out candy. Also, we've been having a problem with a lot of burglary, theft, and assault around here (seems I can't read the local news site anymore without seeing someone being arrested for breaking and entering, assault, or theft of some type). This year though is different than the past 4 years, since I bought my 9mm at the end of last year. So I want to know what you guys think of OC on Halloween night while handing out candy. I stand/sit outside because we have a giant hole in our yard that I make sure no one falls into. I more want to carry for the safety of the kids and the parents. As far as costumes go, I don't do costumes. I normally just wear a pair of my good jeans, and the shirt that I bought at the range I shoot at in Greensboro. I read quite a few posts on here in favor of it, but just want get a broader opinion. If it helps any, I live in Reidsville, which is very supportive of OC'ers (in both LEO's and civilians).

Thanks ahead of time.

The mission on Halloween is to get as much candy as you can. All eyes will be on your hand going from the supply to their bag. Bet no none even notices what's on your hip.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The mission on Halloween is to get as much candy as you can. All eyes will be on your hand going from the supply to their bag. Bet no none even notices what's on your hip.

Years ago when my son was a preteen, he came back home complaining that bigger kids (think HS age) where grabbing the trick or treat bags of the younger ones even though there were moms supervising.

I quickly dressed out and DoubleTap and I took him back out. Shortly we caught up several moms and their entourages. We got the usual questions i.e. is that real, is it loaded? Of course it is, wouldn't be much good if it weren't.

Funny thing is they asked if the could walk with us and they did. Ended up with 4-5 moms and about 15 kids. Made it home safely without any candy snatches.
icon7.png

KyleKatern

the real question is, why would anybody NOT be armed at home

I tend to keep my small gun, often carried as a CC piece or BUG in my pocket at home, or at least in arms reach, even when I am sitting around eating breakfast in my pj's. Shotgun is behind a door in a quick mount, and if I am dressed and around the house, or in the yard I have one of my full size pistols on my hip. I have to think about it to NOT carry, as I have gotten where it is my default state. Does mean that on days I have to drive my personal truck to a job, vs parking at the shop and riding in a company vehicle I have to be careful about leaving stuff home or securing it, depending on where I am going. Working on base for the past few months has meant many week days where I am limited to a tool bag and a pocketknife.

All that said, you can either just wear your gun like normal, or dress the part. Simply make it an integral part of your Halloween costume. While I enjoy advocating the legality of OC, and I believe more armed citizens means a safer society, I also like to carry openly yet blend in. Halloween means keeping up with a 9 y old and a 8 month old for me, leaving little time to deal with questions caused by a kid telling parents I came to the door with a gun.

NC-Heel

I think it is a good time to OC if done properly. At your residence so there is zero issues with the law as long as you can legally possess a firearm. No possibility of GATTTOTP. Try to have adequate lighting, expect a few stares, a few praises, a few questions about legality and such (both positive and negative) and maybe a LEO contact.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Halloween.....my favorite holiday. I put up a rather elaborate display each year and it is quite popular in my area. We set up the "Candy area" outside in the yard, so I do not have people approaching my front door. I usually receive a few hundred children, but I also get groups of adults who just want to enjoy. According to the County Sheriff, we have about six hundred known gang bangers in my county. I do not tolerate trouble. The question is "Do you OC on Halloween?". YES, YES, YES. Like Skid says, carry it all the time. I wear formal clothing on Halloween with a pistol positioned on my hip. My Sweet Baboo is also armed, but she will conceal. My lovely backup gunner. I rarely have people notice I am armed on a regular day. I belong to another group, "the Garage of Evil" a home haunters group. We have had this discussion on the message board and most people I have spoken to are afraid of weapons. "think of the children." I do, and I want them safe when they are in my AO.

TDFbound

Yes, I am definitely in favor of carrying while handing out candy. It is your property (or at least property where you have permission to carry), so do whatever you like. I won't be showing it, but on top of my open carry Glock 19, I will have a loaded AR-15 out of sight but within arms reach inside the house. If I end up sitting on the porch to hand out candy, I'll have my rifle a good bit closer, in view, and probably seeming as part of the decorations. If I go out and about, which I don't really have a reason to since I don't have any kids, I would OC for sure. However, I would stay on the sidewalk or street and stay off of people's private property to avoid any potential conflicts. Obviously I would say screw that and go wherever I needed to if necessary, but barring some exceptional circumstances, I'd stay on public property.

I considered the following, but followed my better judgement and decided not to: to don my full uniform, rifle, flak w/ complete patrol loadout, kevlar, Serpa thigh holster w/ lanyard, basically dress up as I would for a patrol- it wouldn't be a costume and it wouldn't be just for looks. It would be like the only time of the year where I could do that. I know discussions about long gun carry are not part of the forum, but part of the reason why I decided not to do that was because I am not as knowledgeable about long gun carry laws (regarding ammo, mags, type of carry such as slung on back, or slung like normal for carry) as I am about handgun/pistol laws.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yes, I am definitely in favor of carrying while handing out candy. It is your property (or at least property where you have permission to carry), so do whatever you like. I won't be showing it, but on top of my open carry Glock 19, I will have a loaded AR-15 out of sight but within arms reach inside the house. If I end up sitting on the porch to hand out candy, I'll have my rifle a good bit closer, in view, and probably seeming as part of the decorations. If I go out and about, which I don't really have a reason to since I don't have any kids, I would OC for sure. However, I would stay on the sidewalk or street and stay off of people's private property to avoid any potential conflicts. Obviously I would say screw that and go wherever I needed to if necessary, but barring some exceptional circumstances, I'd stay on public property.

I considered the following, but followed my better judgement and decided not to: to don my full uniform, rifle, flak w/ complete patrol loadout, kevlar, Serpa thigh holster w/ lanyard, basically dress up as I would for a patrol- it wouldn't be a costume and it wouldn't be just for looks. It would be like the only time of the year where I could do that. I know discussions about long gun carry are not part of the forum, but part of the reason why I decided not to do that was because I am not as knowledgeable about long gun carry laws (regarding ammo, mags, type of carry such as slung on back, or slung like normal for carry) as I am about handgun/pistol laws.

Would not recommend your trick or treating on campus so attired :uhoh: Impression of your actions being being the deciding factor - not the device (prop?).

If you are still active military, so dressing out might create some problems for you too.

TDFbound

Would not recommend your trick or treating on campus so attired :uhoh: Impression of your actions being being the deciding factor - not the device (prop?).

If you are still active military, so dressing out might create some problems for you too.

Pesky uniform regulations...