Thread: FIB relocating

FIB relocating

Well, originially we were looking at TN or KY, but it's just too far of a drive from family, so now we are thinking central WI.

Are there any public lands or public ranges to shoot on in WI? Where could I find such information?

What about sportsmans clubs? Where could I find such information?

Thanks, and no... I won't ever become a Packers fan.

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    there is alot of public hunting grounds in juneau county, columbia county has quite a bit of public land plus just outside of portage there is a chunk of public land that is used as a make shift gun range with a massive hill as a burm there is a rod and gun club outside of portage, spotsmans club outside of mauston(not sure how active it is ) thats all i have
    Last edited by oliverclotheshoff; 10-19-2012 at 12:45 PM.
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

I am certain that these listings are not complete, but they should give you something to start with. Then maybe ask questions of the members/customers at the listed clubs/ranges.

http://www.wheretoshoot.org/Find_Range/index.asp

http://www.claytargetsonline.com/list.php/WI
    Last edited by Big Dipper; 10-19-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Re: FIB relocating

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    No one is perfect.

Why don't you look into owning enough property to have your own range. Live in the country own a hill or build a berm.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

I would love to do that, but land is $$$$

Hello TyGuy - The Izaak Walton League in Stevens Point has 133 wooded acres out by the airport. They have a trap range, 100 yard outdoor range and a 50 foot outdoor range. You can also cross country ski from that land and link into a number of other trails. The Central Wisconsin Sportsman's Club in Marshfield has a 50 foot indoor range and outdoor ranges at 50 feet and 7, 25, 50, 75, & 100 yards. About 10 miles south of Marshfield is a trap & skeet club. Between Stevens Point & Marshfield lies the Mead Wildlife area which is 28,000 acres of public land. Grouse & woodcock numbers have been in a lengthy decline with whitetail number faring slightly better. The land is managed to a large extent to provide habitat for migrating waterfowl so duck hunters probably like the Mead the best. Next county north is Marathon, the home to Wausau. They have several county forests that offer opportunities for small game and whitetail hunting. If you hunt grouse & woodcock and are OK with 120 - 200 mile round-trip hunts, day trips into the national forest units to the north are also a definite possiblity.

If you want to PM me with your email address I would be happy to share whatever I know. I am a Hoosier transplant that moved up here in 1988.
    Last edited by scm54449; 10-20-2012 at 10:24 AM.
    Member of Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultus habebunt...

Well, originially we were looking at TN or KY, but it's just too far of a drive from family, so now we are thinking central WI.

Are there any public lands or public ranges to shoot on in WI? Where could I find such information?

What about sportsmans clubs? Where could I find such information?

There is a conservation club in Stevens Point, a county range here too. Wausau has a few gun clubs and ranges I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by scm54449 View Post
    Hello TyGuy - The Izaak Walton League in Stevens Point has 133 wooded acres out by the airport. They have a trap range, 100 yard outdoor range and a 50 foot outdoor range. You can also cross country ski from that land and link into a number of other trails. The Central Wisconsin Sportsman's Club in Marshfield has a 50 foot indoor range and outdoor ranges at 50 feet and 7, 25, 50, 75, & 100 yards. About 10 miles south of Marshfield is a trap & skeet club. Between Stevens Point & Marshfield lies the Mead Wildlife area which is 28,000 acres of public land. Grouse & woodcock numbers have been in a lengthy decline with whitetail number faring slightly better. The land is managed to a large extent to provide habitat for migrating waterfowl so duck hunters probably like the Mead the best. Next county north is Marathon, the home to Wausau. They have several county forests that offer opportunities for small game and whitetail hunting. If you hunt grouse & woodcock and are OK with 120 - 200 mile round-trip hunts, day trips into the national forest units to the north are also a definite possiblity.

If you want to PM me with your email address I would be happy to share whatever I know. I am a Hoosier transplant that moved up here in 1988.
    ^^^ Yeah what he said! Btw are you an Ikes member SCM?
    Last edited by anmut; 10-20-2012 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anmut View Post
    ^^^ Yeah what he said! Btw are you an Ikes member SCM?
    Unfortunately, I had to move to Marshfield because of the time and costs of commuting. I still wish I was there.
    Member of Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultus habebunt...

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    there is so much paper company land and forest tax law land open to the public in many areas it may make your head spin, (depending on where you're looking to move to)

And congrats on getting out of ILL-ANNOY!!

Another congrats on leaving the People's State of Illinois.
    I moved up here almost four years ago and wished I had done it years previous.
    The people are nice and are not nosey-bodies. Most are pro-gun. Taxes are lower. Crime is almost nonexistent in comparison to Chicagoland. Plenty of hunting opportunities. Gun ranges are much more common. WI has CCW and no waiting period for long guns and only 2 days for pistols, and of course, no FOID card.

You may still be a Bears fan, but you'll appreciate the fact that the Packers are a publicly-owned team, and not the plaything of a millionaire clan like the Macaskey's, who routinely shake down the tax-payers of Chicago for bigger facilities.

All in all, life is MUCH more laid back up here.

If you ever get up towards Green Bay, drop me a note.

ckmorley

Former FIB - Naturalized Cheesehead
    Anti-gunners tell us to run away from muggers. What about those of us who can't run ?

I would love to do that, but land is $$$$
    But so does a house and or rent cost money.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Yes, but owning a big piece of land with nowhere to bed down at night won't work for me.

I might cut down on the house size and get more land, but if I can find a good local club then I'll just do that.

My first choice was TN, as the taxes and cost of living are SOOOOOO low, but it's just too far to make visiting family a reality.

5 to 10 acres in the right location is plenty.

How many acres are required to be able to hunt on my own land?

that is really a judgement call to my knowledge there a isnt s set minimum at the state level there might be in the township levels though i dont know, BUT i would not even consider hunting anything smaller than a 40 acre lot and no more than 2 people on that forty but that is me and i have 210 acres in the family to hunt on, someone like my cousin hunts his 8 acres he always has to go ask permission to track his deer but he hunts it i guess it helps living next to people who dont hunt and are nice enough to give you permission to track your deer
    Last edited by oliverclotheshoff; 10-23-2012 at 07:51 AM.
    SCOTT

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

10 technically i believe but you could hunt on any land not in a city , as long as you don't endanger the neighbors and are more than 100 feet from them it very much depends on the layout of the land

what do you consider central Wisconsin , Marshfield home of the central Wisconsin fair is very central , good medical , universities near by , public lands to hunt around , and some nice clubs with ranges , you will find very few public ranges , but many clubs with reasonable dues that have nice ranges.

their is a nice range just a few miles east of Marshfield literally less than 10 minutes out of town , I was there for a training this fall that they were generous enough to let 4H shooting sports use the facility for the weekend

wausau and stevens point are also nice towns , all very nice area around there.
    Last edited by GreenCountyPete; 10-23-2012 at 08:13 AM.

Ther is no legal size for legal hunting, one just has to safe. The closer the neighbors the harder it is.

For me the ideal property allows me to pee out the front door and shoot my 06 out the back door with no one complaining.

10 acres was a town ship thing it made it ag zoning

the state laws i am aware of
    is that you can't shoot within 100 feet of some ones residence unless you have permission

you have to stay 1000 feet from schools

and 51 feet from a road

Any resources for finding land for sale within an hour of Madison?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCountyPete View Post
    10 acres was a town ship thing it made it ag zoning

the state laws i am aware of
    is that you can't shoot within 100 feet of some ones residence unless you have permission
    The reads ,Shoot a firearm within 100 yards of a building devoted to human occupancy while on lands of another without permission of the owner or occupant of the building.

So if you are on your land or land you have permisson to be on the 100 yards rule does not apply.

Centurion

Real Estate is down, so you might find a deal.

Any resources for finding land for sale within an hour of Madison?
    Land within an hour from Madison is at a premium. I would not call it central Wisconsin, though. I would think you would have to be at least an hour north of Madison to be central Wisconsin, but it is a judgement call.

Yeah, Madison is southern WI. Within an hour or two of Madison would work.

Quote Originally Posted by ccwinstructor View Post
    Land within an hour from Madison is at a premium. I would not call it central Wisconsin, though. I would think you would have to be at least an hour north of Madison to be central Wisconsin, but it is a judgement call.
    land in juneau county is cheap and it is within 1 hour to 1.5 hours for most part of madison just stay away from castle rock lake/ petenwell lake areas (touristy)where price per 1.5 acre lot reaches 40k or better
    in juneau county you an find real nice 3 bedroom houses all day long for under 100k in town
    sauk county is pricey to live in a little more that columbia county but that is getting within the 30 min mark from madison and like i mentioned before juneau county does have some public land
    SCOTT