• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FIB relocating

TyGuy

Well, originially we were looking at TN or KY, but it's just too far of a drive from family, so now we are thinking central WI.

Are there any public lands or public ranges to shoot on in WI? Where could I find such information?

What about sportsmans clubs? Where could I find such information?

Thanks, and no... I won't ever become a Packers fan.

oliverclotheshoff

there is alot of public hunting grounds in juneau county, columbia county has quite a bit of public land plus just outside of portage there is a chunk of public land that is used as a make shift gun range with a massive hill as a burm there is a rod and gun club outside of portage, spotsmans club outside of mauston(not sure how active it is ) thats all i have

Last edited:

scm54449

Opt-Out Members
Hello TyGuy - The Izaak Walton League in Stevens Point has 133 wooded acres out by the airport. They have a trap range, 100 yard outdoor range and a 50 foot outdoor range. You can also cross country ski from that land and link into a number of other trails. The Central Wisconsin Sportsman's Club in Marshfield has a 50 foot indoor range and outdoor ranges at 50 feet and 7, 25, 50, 75, & 100 yards. About 10 miles south of Marshfield is a trap & skeet club. Between Stevens Point & Marshfield lies the Mead Wildlife area which is 28,000 acres of public land. Grouse & woodcock numbers have been in a lengthy decline with whitetail number faring slightly better. The land is managed to a large extent to provide habitat for migrating waterfowl so duck hunters probably like the Mead the best. Next county north is Marathon, the home to Wausau. They have several county forests that offer opportunities for small game and whitetail hunting. If you hunt grouse & woodcock and are OK with 120 - 200 mile round-trip hunts, day trips into the national forest units to the north are also a definite possiblity.

If you want to PM me with your email address I would be happy to share whatever I know. I am a Hoosier transplant that moved up here in 1988.

Last edited:

anmut

Well, originially we were looking at TN or KY, but it's just too far of a drive from family, so now we are thinking central WI.

Are there any public lands or public ranges to shoot on in WI? Where could I find such information?

What about sportsmans clubs? Where could I find such information?

Thanks, and no... I won't ever become a Packers fan.

There is a conservation club in Stevens Point, a county range here too. Wausau has a few gun clubs and ranges I believe.

anmut

Hello TyGuy - The Izaak Walton League in Stevens Point has 133 wooded acres out by the airport. They have a trap range, 100 yard outdoor range and a 50 foot outdoor range. You can also cross country ski from that land and link into a number of other trails. The Central Wisconsin Sportsman's Club in Marshfield has a 50 foot indoor range and outdoor ranges at 50 feet and 7, 25, 50, 75, & 100 yards. About 10 miles south of Marshfield is a trap & skeet club. Between Stevens Point & Marshfield lies the Mead Wildlife area which is 28,000 acres of public land. Grouse & woodcock numbers have been in a lengthy decline with whitetail number faring slightly better. The land is managed to a large extent to provide habitat for migrating waterfowl so duck hunters probably like the Mead the best. Next county north is Marathon, the home to Wausau. They have several county forests that offer opportunities for small game and whitetail hunting. If you hunt grouse & woodcock and are OK with 120 - 200 mile round-trip hunts, day trips into the national forest units to the north are also a definite possiblity.

If you want to PM me with your email address I would be happy to share whatever I know. I am a Hoosier transplant that moved up here in 1988.

^^^ Yeah what he said! Btw are you an Ikes member SCM?

Last edited:

ckmorley

Another congrats on leaving the People's State of Illinois.
I moved up here almost four years ago and wished I had done it years previous.
The people are nice and are not nosey-bodies. Most are pro-gun. Taxes are lower. Crime is almost nonexistent in comparison to Chicagoland. Plenty of hunting opportunities. Gun ranges are much more common. WI has CCW and no waiting period for long guns and only 2 days for pistols, and of course, no FOID card.

You may still be a Bears fan, but you'll appreciate the fact that the Packers are a publicly-owned team, and not the plaything of a millionaire clan like the Macaskey's, who routinely shake down the tax-payers of Chicago for bigger facilities.

All in all, life is MUCH more laid back up here.

If you ever get up towards Green Bay, drop me a note.

ckmorley

Former FIB - Naturalized Cheesehead

TyGuy

Yes, but owning a big piece of land with nowhere to bed down at night won't work for me.

I might cut down on the house size and get more land, but if I can find a good local club then I'll just do that.

My first choice was TN, as the taxes and cost of living are SOOOOOO low, but it's just too far to make visiting family a reality.

TyGuy

How many acres are required to be able to hunt on my own land?

oliverclotheshoff

that is really a judgement call to my knowledge there a isnt s set minimum at the state level there might be in the township levels though i dont know, BUT i would not even consider hunting anything smaller than a 40 acre lot and no more than 2 people on that forty but that is me and i have 210 acres in the family to hunt on, someone like my cousin hunts his 8 acres he always has to go ask permission to track his deer but he hunts it i guess it helps living next to people who dont hunt and are nice enough to give you permission to track your deer

Last edited:

GreenCountyPete

10 technically i believe but you could hunt on any land not in a city , as long as you don't endanger the neighbors and are more than 100 feet from them it very much depends on the layout of the land

what do you consider central Wisconsin , Marshfield home of the central Wisconsin fair is very central , good medical , universities near by , public lands to hunt around , and some nice clubs with ranges , you will find very few public ranges , but many clubs with reasonable dues that have nice ranges.

their is a nice range just a few miles east of Marshfield literally less than 10 minutes out of town , I was there for a training this fall that they were generous enough to let 4H shooting sports use the facility for the weekend

wausau and stevens point are also nice towns , all very nice area around there.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Ther is no legal size for legal hunting, one just has to safe. The closer the neighbors the harder it is.

For me the ideal property allows me to pee out the front door and shoot my 06 out the back door with no one complaining.

GreenCountyPete

10 acres was a town ship thing it made it ag zoning

the state laws i am aware of
is that you can't shoot within 100 feet of some ones residence unless you have permission

you have to stay 1000 feet from schools

and 51 feet from a road