Thread: Capital police officer discharges firearm inside the governor's mansion

Capital police officer discharges firearm inside the governor's mansion

http://www.wisn.com/news/south-east-...?absolute=true

How do you accidentally discharge a firearm?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Capital police officer discharges firearm inside the governor's mansion

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post

This is what I say every time I hear one of these stories! The correct word is negligent. Every negligent discharge can be prevented simply by following the four basic rules of firearm safety. Of course we know that the police are the only ones qualified enough to handle a gun safely....

http://youtu.be/trlPcDg-B4E
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Banned
    The gov't cannot be trusted with firearms.

Founder's Club Member
    What!?! You guys now have big-letter cops?

Or, do you mean a police officer assigned to the seat of government?

As in capitol police.
    Last edited by Citizen; 10-20-2012 at 01:59 AM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

They prefer "Police" to "police" anyway. It's one of those little trips they enjoy each day.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    They prefer "Police" to "police" anyway. It's one of those little trips they enjoy each day.
    Do you mean "Police" or Police.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    What!?! You guys now have big-letter cops?

Or, do you mean a police officer assigned to the seat of government?

As in capitol police.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

First few times I heard the news teaser it sounded like they said a fatal gun shot in the governors residence but nobody was hurt and a man was out of a job. Just another rookie making a rookie mistake taking a gun out of his holster when and where he should not have taken it out. Why do new gun carriers always have to touch it and take it out to look at it, that's what ranges are for. Don't know what the lad is going to do now but I'm thinking police or armed security work is out of the job equation.
    Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

I don't know, but I'm sure that when they discharged the cop it was intentional!
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    I don't know, but I'm sure that when they discharged the cop it was intentional!
    OK, that's got to be at least five points for that play on words. Very good.

And it suggests a few playful questions:

Where is the trigger on a cop? How do you rack his slide?

Or, does he have a cylinder that just goes around and around and...

If he is a revolver cop, how hard to you have to whack his ejector rod to get...? (Oh, that should get some comments. Keep it clean, guys!)

If he is an autoloader, it would be really handy to know: how do you engage his safety?
    Last edited by Citizen; 10-20-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Centurion

Do enough of anything, and you will make a mistake.

While not what happened in this case, there is randomness in the universe. If you do something enough times, random events will conspire in ways for things to go wrong.

Most people who have played/taught/competed with firearms for decades, in a serious way, can tell you a story or two about an unintentional discharge.

I had one when I was 14. I had purchased a cheap beater shotgun for $20, the first gun that I bought. The safety did not work, so I fixed it. During testing without a cartridge in the chamber it worked just fine.

I went outside to test fire the shotgun. Before I shot it at a target, I pointed it at the ground and thought "I should check that safety one more time." I pressed the trigger, and no one was more surprised than I when the gun went off.

Unintended discharge? Absolutely! Was anyone hurt? Only my budding pride as a newbie gunsmith!

Most unintended discharges hurt no one because people are following the rule to be certain that the firearm is not pointed at anyone they are not willing to shoot.