• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Somehow I find this funny.

Lasjayhawk

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
But, did the lotion protect them from the UV rays of the fire?

I kinda have to wonder a bit. Who is getting close enough to an ignition source to burn themselves anyway, and then blaming the sunscreen?

Also, the article is just a bit misleading. Twice it mentions people who caught fire after applying the sunscreen. More like their sunscreen caught fire after getting too close to an ignition source.

I can hear the calls for federal regulation about the flammability of sunscreen lotions.

I can just see it now.

Clerk: "Sir, why are you playing with matches in the back corner of our store?"

Me: "Well, the sunscreen label didn't have a fire-safety rating, so I was testing it out. Would you hand me that fire-extinguisher."

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Pretty bizarre! I'm with Citizen on this one, I don't think the sunscreen is causing people to spontaneously combust all on their own....

davidmcbeth

Banned
The make smokers go outside .. so they protect themselves from cancer by applying sunscreen .. and WHOOOSH ! Your on fire.

Clearly an obamalama plot to kill smokers !

Last edited:

Jack House

How close do you have to get for the lotion to catch fire? How long does it take until the lotion dries?

Seems like it might be an overreaction. 5 out of 20 million bottles? Which the actual ratio will be higher when one considers that a single bottle will be used multiple times. So a closer, completely random, estimate would like be north of 100,000,000.

So when you compare the amount of incidences reported(but unverified?) to the amount of bottles(though should be compared to the amount of average number of uses per bottle), it sounds like 5 people were being dumbasses, got burnt and were too afraid to admit to being stupid.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
How close do you have to get for the lotion to catch fire? How long does it take until the lotion dries?

Seems like it might be an overreaction. 5 out of 20 million bottles? Which the actual ratio will be higher when one considers that a single bottle will be used multiple times. So a closer, completely random, estimate would like be north of 100,000,000.

So when you compare the amount of incidences reported(but unverified?) to the amount of bottles(though should be compared to the amount of average number of uses per bottle), it sounds like 5 people were being dumbasses, got burnt and were too afraid to admit to being stupid.

And a slow news day.

A few hours ago I heard a radio report on it. The announcer even said the same rubbish: that some people caught on fire after applying the lotion.