• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Commerce Bank = No Carry Zone?

Riana

I recently had an interesting open-carry experience at the Virginia Commerce Bank in Manassas: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...oVA-(Northern-Virginia)&p=1840484#post1840484

I have finally finished the letter to the manager, and it will hit the mail tomorrow morning, along with a separate letter to the corporate office (which will include a copy of this letter), asking for confirmation on the 'no guns' policy. I would appreciate a critique of my letter from you folks, if you have a moment.

Thank you for your call Thursday afternoon. I appreciate the opportunity to respond to the concerns of your staff.

As you noted, I am a firearms instructor by profession. However, that is not why I carry a firearm. I carry it for self-defense. Frequently, I carry it openly while conducting my day-to-day business, as I did in your branch Wednesday afternoon. The vast majority of the time, the presence of my holstered sidearm is not a problem for anyone.

As for your suggestion that I leave my firearm in my vehicle while banking with your branch, I’m sure you can understand that leaving it there – where it can be more easily stolen, and my empty holster tends to advertise its probable location – is much riskier than having it safely holstered on my person.

Just as it is my constitutionally-protected right to bear arms, it is your right as a private entity to prohibit guns on your property. I can respect that. As I said on the phone, because my sidearm is not welcome in your branch, I will avoid doing business there. There are other branches – and failing that, other institutions – where I can conduct my business. Should I hear from the corporate level that law-abiding citizens are barred from possessing firearms on all VCB premises by policy, I will have to reconsider my family’s banking options at that point.

Thank you again for your time. If you have additional questions or would like to discuss this further, the easiest way to reach me is via e-mail at XXXXXXX@XXXXX.XXX

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Seems there shouldn't be a branch-by-branch decision on this. If there is, and the only punishment to corporate is that you will use a different branch, well, they don't really lose anything.

I like to mention that police OC for the same reasons, PERSONAL protection, and that it is absurd to "freak out" when someone other than a cop does it. Reminding them that criminals do NOT OC helps to associate us more with being okay, just like cops.

You know, if I owned a bank, I might make a rule: "Concealed firearms are not permitted. All firearms must be openly holstered."

In addition to theft concerns, we try not to handle our loaded firearms, it is safer in the holster than being moved around on their absurd whims.

But these are just my thoughts. Your letter actually works quite well as is.

TFred

I like to mention that police OC for the same reasons, PERSONAL protection, and that it is absurd to "freak out" when someone other than a cop does it. Reminding them that criminals do NOT OC helps to associate us more with being okay, just like cops.
Not only that, but it is also extremely likely that you are better trained and certainly more practiced than an average police officer. Most LEOs only shoot when required, at their periodic qual tests.

If a CHP was discussed, you can also state that CHP holders are statistically less likely to commit a crime than cops.

TFred

Riana

Seems there shouldn't be a branch-by-branch decision on this. If there is, and the only punishment to corporate is that you will use a different branch, well, they don't really lose anything.
That's why I'm sending a letter to the corporate office, asking if this manager was correct in stating that law-abiding citizens may not be armed on bank premises, along with a copy of the above letter. I expect one of three possibly outcomes:

1. They confirm that corporate policy is not to allow carry, and I close all our accounts and find a new bank.
2. They confirm that it's up to the branch manager, and I avoid doing business at that branch (not really much of an inconvenience)
3. They deny the policy, and tell me to carry on.

In options 2 and 3, I expect the branch manager is going to hear from corporate to stop telling people it's corporate policy to bar firearms - that she's the one who doesn't want guns on the premises.

Of course, I suppose they could just ignore me, which will probably make me revert to avoiding that branch while looking for a new bank, then closing the accounts.

It's corporate's response that will make my decision. If the ban is corporate-wide, then I will close all my accounts and move my funds elsewhere. Which will really suck, because I like the branch where I bank 99% of the time - good folks there.

Last edited:

2a4all

That's why I'm sending a letter to the corporate office, asking if this manager was correct in stating that law-abiding citizens may not be armed on bank premises, along with a copy of the above letter. I expect one of three possibly outcomes:

1. They confirm that corporate policy is not to allow carry, and I close all our accounts and find a new bank.
2. They confirm that it's up to the branch manager, and I avoid doing business at that branch (not really much of an inconvenience)
3. They deny the policy, and tell me to carry on.

In options 2 and 3, I expect the branch manager is going to hear from corporate to stop telling people it's corporate policy to bar firearms - that she's the one who doesn't want guns on the premises.

Of course, I suppose they could just ignore me, which will probably make me revert to avoiding that branch while looking for a new bank, then closing the accounts.

It's corporate's response that will make my decision. If the ban is corporate-wide, then I will close all my accounts and move my funds elsewhere. Which will really suck, because I like the branch where I bank 99% of the time - good folks there.
Nice letter.

Of course, their No-Guns policy will give every would-be bank robber pause, especially after the manager tells him that he should have left his gun in the car.:uhoh:

Keep us posted.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Nice letter.

Of course, their No-Guns policy will give every would-be bank robber pause, especially after the manager tells him that he should have left his gun in the car.:uhoh:

Keep us posted.

Yes. That policy has certainly worked wonders for BB&T bank. For a while there, it seemed like they were getting robbed once a month.

Steeler-gal

I recently had an interesting open-carry experience at the Virginia Commerce Bank in Manassas: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...oVA-(Northern-Virginia)&p=1840484#post1840484

I have finally finished the letter to the manager, and it will hit the mail tomorrow morning, along with a separate letter to the corporate office (which will include a copy of this letter), asking for confirmation on the 'no guns' policy. I would appreciate a critique of my letter from you folks, if you have a moment.

I think it's worded very well and look forward to see what kind of response you get from the corporate level.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Let me know the final response too.. I don't want to pile on, but i will draft up a postcard ;-)

294394_246799775370113_1102966311_n.jpg

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Riana, you are one class act.

Should your adventure not work out in your favor, I hope you inform them in your business severance letter that you have taken the liberty to broadcast your experience to many hundreds of other Virginians of a like mind.... just so they'll know.

2a4all

From Riana's earlier post:

As I worked with the teller, the other teller was called over to the desk of the other employee. Now both of them were out of my field of vision (directly behind me), and given the distance and the fact I was talking with the teller, I couldn't hear their conversation, either. But as I left, it was obvious I was a topic of conversation. When I turned to leave, they were both staring at me with the stereotypical "deer-in-the-headlights" look. I smiled, waved, told them to have a nice day, and went out the door. When I approached my van, I could see (reflected in my window) the male employee peeking out the partly-opened door behind me, presumably making a mental note of my description, my vehicle description, and probably my license plate number. Thinking I might be greeted by law enforcement any moment, I remained in the parking lot a few minutes, taking care of some notes and phone calls. About 5 minutes later, I left, thinking the incident resolved (or at least over).

The guy peeking at you thru the door wasn't looking for those things; he wanted to see if Clyde was with you. He apparently thought you were Bonnie.:eek:

Riana

From Riana's earlier post:
When I approached my van, I could see (reflected in my window) the male employee peeking out the partly-opened door behind me, presumably making a mental note of my description, my vehicle description, and probably my license plate number. Thinking I might be greeted by law enforcement any moment, I remained in the parking lot a few minutes, taking care of some notes and phone calls. About 5 minutes later, I left, thinking the incident resolved (or at least over).
The guy peeking at you thru the door wasn't looking for those things; he wanted to see if Clyde was with you. He apparently thought you were Bonnie.:eek:

LOL! For all I know he may have been admiring the view. :dude:

Riana

Well, after a week, I finally got my response.

For reference, I mailed a copy of the letter sent to the Manassas branch manager (see the first post in this thread), along with the following letter, to corporate. I didn't have an individual to send it to at the time, so I addressed it to "Customer Relations" :

I am a depositor with your institution. I recently had the opportunity to discuss something with the manager of your Battlefield Branch, Ms. Nancy Lindgren. I have attached the letter sent to her, so you may perhaps put the following request in better context.

I would like to know if Ms. Lindgren was correct in stating that the corporate policy of Virginia Commerce Bank is to bar law-abiding citizens from entering their premises while legally armed.

As you may be aware, Virginia is an “open carry” state – meaning anyone who can legally own a handgun may carry it openly. I was carrying in this fashion when the incident at the Battlefield Branch occurred, which is why Ms. Lindgren contacted me the following day.

Neither Federal nor state laws prohibit carrying a firearm on bank property, but as a private entity, you have the right to bar carry by policy.

Should it be the case that I am not allowed to conduct my day-to-day business at your branches with my sidearm present, it will be necessary for me to reconsider my family’s banking options.

I am looking forward to your prompt response.

Attached is the letter I received yesterday from the corporate office:

scan0001.jpg

So, the Cliff's Notes version is that if I choose to carry, I am not welcome in any VCB building. I may, however, leave my sidearm in my vehicle, or bank by mail, Internet, or through the drive-thru.

I don't know about you, but that's just not acceptable to me.

So this afternoon, I threw on a jacket, and went to my local branch. I spoke with the branch manager, and told her I wanted to close one of my accounts. When she asked why, I explained that because corporate has informed me that I am not welcome in the building with my sidearm, I will be closing my accounts with the bank. She seemed very concerned, and apologetic, even asking what had happened, who I'd spoken to, etc, so I related my story to her.

I told her it wasn't her fault, as this branch is not bothered by someone carrying a firearm, but I could not in good conscience continue to bank with an institution with such a policy, and I didn't want to get them in trouble for not following the policy. I requested that the account be paid out to me in cash so that I could take it to another bank to open an account. She took care of the necessary paperwork and gave me the cash.

Then I asked that the CD we have maturing in two weeks be rolled into one of our savings accounts, and told her that I would be closing that account as soon as the CD was deposited to it (not a trivial amount of money). I shook her hand, thanked her, and left.

Based on her reaction when I told her I was closing that savings account, I expect there was a phone call made shortly after I left the bank. :dude:

I then drove up the street to Middleburg Bank, and opened an account with them. I explained which bank I had been with, and why I was leaving. They welcomed me [strike]with open arms[/strike] most graciously.

I will be closing most, if not all, of our accounts at Virginia Commerce Bank, but it is going to take some time - electronic banking, while making life easier, can also make it harder to sever ties with a banking institution. It sucks, because I really like the people at the branch where I do most of my banking. :(

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Note to self: When writing one of these letters, just go ahead and close the door to the standard BS replies about concern for safety and anxiety caused by guns. These letters back from corporate almost always say some variation on that theme; so, no point in giving them the opportunity to use those lies.

I like how the VP said they respected your rights, and then refused to respect your rights. What an a-hole.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
If I may divert just a skoosh for a moment, I have a question about my Visa credit card. My Visa is issued through the notoriously anti-gun Bank of America. While their service has been excellent, it does make me cringe to support their business with my dollars. The only reason I have stayed with them is the very low interest rate I am charged (5.24%). I have not found any other bank even close to this rate.

So my question is, does anyone here know of a bank which offers Visa at a rate competitive to what I am currently enjoying?

Thanks for the diversion.