• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Commerce Bank = No Carry Zone?

Riana

Update: The manager over at Middleburg Bank just called, and told me that she had checked with her higher-ups regarding their firearms policy, and it turns out they also prohibit firearms. So I guess I will be closing that account. :cry:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
If I may divert just a skoosh for a moment, I have a question about my Visa credit card. My Visa is issued through the notoriously anti-gun Bank of America. While their service has been excellent, it does make me cringe to support their business with my dollars. The only reason I have stayed with them is the very low interest rate I am charged (5.24%). I have not found any other bank even close to this rate.

So my question is, does anyone here know of a bank which offers Visa at a rate competitive to what I am currently enjoying?

Thanks for the diversion.

Oh, my. Bank of America had a central role in the housing bust economic disaster. Hunt up articles by Matt Taibbi. If you can pay off your balance monthly or can afford a slightly higher rate, go for it. That bank deserves nobody's business, not just gun rights people.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
]
Oh, my. Bank of America had a central role in the housing bust economic disaster. Hunt up articles by Matt Taibbi. If you can pay off your balance monthly or can afford a slightly higher rate, go for it. That bank deserves nobody's business, not just gun rights people.

The prime driver of that debacle was the federal government. But that's a topic for another time and discussion, eh?

I have been looking and recently called my own bank (Wells Fargo) they are not willing to match the rate I am getting. I'll keep looking... perhaps something will pop up.

ws91420

I'm afraid that you are going to find most banks are going to be anti carry around here at least open carry. If you conceal carry how will they ever know?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
]

The prime driver of that debacle was the federal government. But that's a topic for another time and discussion, eh?

I have been looking and recently called my own bank (Wells Fargo) they are not willing to match the rate I am getting. I'll keep looking... perhaps something will pop up.

Ooooo. What an unintended pun. Prime. :D

The prime driver was the Federal Reserve. The fedgov steered the malinvestment into that sector, but it was the Fed's easy funny-money low interest rate that flooded money into that sector.

With that said, you really want to check out the shenanigans of Bank of America both before and after the crash of '08. If half of what is reported is true, some of those people should have been hanged.

It is a topic for discussion. Why limit the objection to a no-guns policy. A no-guns policy is hardly a blip on the radar screen compared to the economic damage they did. Conversely, even if they didn't have an anti-gun policy, the rest of the stuff is easily far more reason not to bank with them.

See if there is a little regional bank who stayed out of the housing mess. Burke & Herbert for example. If you just gotta participate in fractional reserve banking, that is.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I'm afraid that you are going to find most banks are going to be anti carry around here at least open carry. If you conceal carry how will they ever know?

They wouldn't know. The whole point is that you would be continuing to support a business that does not respect you, and FORCES you to cover it up. Why would you WANT to do that?

TFred

Disclaimer: I've never had this sort of conversation myself, and I hereby acknowledge that talk (or internet forum posts) is cheap.

While I understand that we are all programmed to protest the denial of rights, etc., self-defense, etc., I really don't think this is the most effective approach to situations like this.

I find myself much more concerned with trusting business owners to competently hold up their end of the business deal, whether it's the safeguarding of my money, the ability to serve me safe and healthy food, or whatever the ware may be... when they are obviously so mentally deficient as to think that mere signs or policies are sufficient to control the environment of their business location in the manner to their liking.

I would be much more inclined to drive the dialog towards, "Please explain to me how this policy you have for ME to be disarmed can possibly keep you and the rest of your staff and customers safe from a violent criminal who is determined to rob you, etc?"

There will be no answer, and this ultimate failure of the very goal of the policy is the point that I would leave them with as the reason for losing my business.

TFred

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Disclaimer: I've never had this sort of conversation myself, and I hereby acknowledge that talk (or internet forum posts) is cheap.

While I understand that we are all programmed to protest the denial of rights, etc., self-defense, etc., I really don't think this is the most effective approach to situations like this.

I find myself much more concerned with trusting business owners to competently hold up their end of the business deal, whether it's the safeguarding of my money, the ability to serve me safe and healthy food, or whatever the ware may be... when they are obviously so mentally deficient as to think that mere signs or policies are sufficient to control the environment of their business location in the manner to their liking.

I would be much more inclined to drive the dialog towards, "Please explain to me how this policy you have for ME to be disarmed can possibly keep you and the rest of your staff and customers safe from a violent criminal who is determined to rob you, etc?"

There will be no answer, and this ultimate failure of the very goal of the policy is the point that I would leave them with as the reason for losing my business.

TFred

The policy-setters are far from mentally deficient. Just know that people are usually logical, at least in their own minds. So, the question becomes, "What piece(s) of information am I missing that would explain this apparent illogic?" The police do this routinely. Tell them a story with any holes in it or anything that doesn't make sense, and watch how quickly they start asking more questions.

I cannot add much to the bank policy question, except to suspect it is corporate lawyers and insurance concerns. But, there is a giant sign hanging out and low for anybody who notices: if banks were all that concerned about people, they wouldn't be in the fractional reserve banking game. Individual branch managers and tellers may not know the score on fractional reserve banking, but the big boys at the top, where policy is made, certainly do.

Last edited:

Steeler-gal

Update: The manager over at Middleburg Bank just called, and told me that she had checked with her higher-ups regarding their firearms policy, and it turns out they also prohibit firearms. So I guess I will be closing that account. :cry:

PNC allows open carry. I've carried in the grocery store and brick-and-mortar branches without any problems. I hardly ever go into the banks but when I do. I do OC.

Last edited:

nuc65

Activist Member
... - electronic banking, while making life easier, can also make it harder to sever ties with a banking institution...

This is the reason given by Wells Fargo for instituting a number of fees as to why they weren't worried about losing customers.

Riana

And the final update on this situation:

I went over to Middleburg Bank, and they closed my account for me - waiving fees to do so, as the account was new, but the reason for closing was beyond my (and the branch's) control. Very nice folks to deal with, really - I wish the firearms policy weren't stupid.

We still have to wait for a couple of CDs at VCB to mature, but when they do, the bulk of the accounts will be closed. I have opened one account over at PNC, and expect more will follow. We are actively looking at other investments, as well.

When each account is closed, I will make sure they know exactly why. I'm tempted to go to the branch where the VP who responded to me is located to close the largest one. And maybe ask for it in cash. :cool:

Ed, if you really want to send a postcard, the name and address is on the letter I posted. Since I still have accounts there, though, I would prefer I not be mentioned by name. You understand, of course.

Last edited: