• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

On hold for NCIC background check for rifle, again...

AaronS

On hold for NCIC background check for rifle, again.

I thought I saw a post in the past about this, but my searchskills are bad, and I can't find it...

Well, this is thesecond time I have gone to get a new rifle, and got my app. put on hold due tothe NCIC check. The first time was aright before our last presidential election. I just thought that the system must not be able to process all of theapps. The gun shop told me that it doeshappen from time to time. A few dayslater, I got a call from the gun shop, and was told that I could come get therifle. I guess I never gave it anythought.
Well, Friday I went to buy a rifle, and onceagain my app. has been put on hold. NowI am starting to think something is up with my record. I should add that I have no record. I don't even have any speeding tickets on myrecord. I hold CCL/CFP cards fromWisconsin, and Utah to boot. I might alsoadd that I have what I think is an odd name (I would say "one of akind").
So any idea why Imight be put on hold twice in a row now?
Anyone know of a way for me to find out (for free)?
Also, I am starting to think I might want toget this FBI ID card thing. I guess forpeople that run into this hold stuff, we can get some kind of card or ID put onfile with the Feds that will help put a end to it? Anyone know how I can get this done (also for free)?
As it stands, I am sure I will get the callagain in a few days, telling me to come and get my rifle, but this hold stuffhas me a bit mad. I will have to take asecond trip (about 150 miles round trip). This second trip will kill the "sale" price of the rifle...

Thanks for any help you can give.

(Now I have to go make a new tin-foil hat. Last one must have been to small):eek:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
My last couple purchases that required a NICS check took 45 days to go through, I had to do the paperwork twice on these last two occasions, my last purchase consisted of 2 stripped lowers, the dealer called their contact at the state level to try and help, he was allegedly able to clear up my state records so I should get instant approval on handguns now due to my permission slip from the state (under number 20K, slightly) but we still have the 48 hour wait. And he stated he would try to get federal better for me too. The day after that, I got 2 approvals within minutes of each other at 2 different stores.
One for the lowers, and another for a romanian piece of stamped steel and wooden furniture that I wanted. I have my eye on a handgun, so maybe I'll see if it helped on Monday if I have the coin to do it.

Anyone wanna try to lobby our legislature to waive the 48 hour wait for license holders like Michigan has, We jumped through their hoops, so maybe they can throw us a bone now?

Last edited:

Grizz272

My last couple purchases that required a NICS check took 45 days to go through, I had to do the paperwork twice on these last two occasions, my last purchase consisted of 2 stripped lowers, the dealer called their contact at the state level to try and help, he was allegedly able to clear up my state records so I should get instant approval on handguns now due to my permission slip from the state (under number 20K, slightly) but we still have the 48 hour wait. And he stated he would try to get federal better for me too. The day after that, I got 2 approvals within minutes of each other at 2 different stores.
One for the lowers, and another for a romanian piece of stamped steel and wooden furniture that I wanted. I have my eye on a handgun, so maybe I'll see if it helped on Monday if I have the coin to do it.

Anyone wanna try to lobby our legislature to waive the 48 hour wait for license holders like Michigan has, We jumped through their hoops, so maybe they can throw us a bone now?

I general get a hold on hand gun purchases. Long guns if I buy on a Monday. I had a nefarious cousin tried to buy some guns illegally here and that usually slows things down

AaronS

I general get a hold on hand gun purchases. Long guns if I buy on a Monday. I had a nefarious cousin tried to buy some guns illegally here and that usually slows things down

Thats one of the odd things about my holds. I have no problems with with hand guns at all. Just the normal 48 hour wait.
But two times in a row, I get held for a rifle...

F350

If you have repeated problems with your background checks due to name similarity with a prohibited person etc you can request a UPIN (Unique Personal Identification Number) if you ever noticed the space on the 4473 next to SSN. You can (use to be able) download the application from the BATFE web site, once approved you use this number on the 4473 and it should go through instantly. When I worked in a gun shop I printed off several and gave them to customers who were having problems.

AaronS

If you have repeated problems with your background checks due to name similarity with a prohibited person etc you can request a UPIN (Unique Personal Identification Number) if you ever noticed the space on the 4473 next to SSN. You can (use to be able) download the application from the BATFE web site, once approved you use this number on the 4473 and it should go through instantly. When I worked in a gun shop I printed off several and gave them to customers who were having problems.

Yea, after the long drive, I am thinking that this is my best bet to end my issue. I just hate to have to pre-register with the Fed. to be able to buy rifles...
Guess I just don't like the idea of the Fed getting any more info about me. But, same time, I guess the Fed has me on some list anyway...

So I guess my next step is to start my search at the BATF to find the needed forms...

davidmcbeth

Banned
I have no problems with with hand guns at all. .

Why any waiting period at all? All this "background check" business is such that it is depriving our rights.

You sign an affidavit ... the ffl hands you a gun ; that's how it should work. You lie on your affidavit? You go to jail.

NoTolerance

Thats one of the odd things about my holds. I have no problems with with hand guns at all. Just the normal 48 hour wait.
But two times in a row, I get held for a rifle...

Handguns applications are processed through the WI Handgun Hotline, run by the State. Long guns go through the Federal NICS database. Hence the difference.

AaronS

Why any waiting period at all? All this "background check" business is such that it is depriving our rights.

You sign an affidavit ... the ffl hands you a gun ; that's how it should work. You lie on your affidavit? You go to jail.
I agree with you on this 100%. It just does not work this way, at this time.

Handguns applications are processed through the WI Handgun Hotline, run by the State. Long guns go through the Federal NICS database. Hence the difference.

You are correct. The odd thing is that Utah does an NICS check on me every night as far as I remember. I would have thought that due to my Utah permit checks, I would get the "green light" from the NICS long gun check as well.?

Well about 2pm Monday (3 day wait) and I should be able to go back up and get my new rifle. Still have to wonder why I keep getting the red flag?

Viper

I was put on hold last month for 3 days when I bought a Super Black Eagle in a 12 gauge as well.

It ticked me off a lot to not be able to take a long gun home the same day of the purchase.

AaronS

I was put on hold last month for 3 days when I bought a Super Black Eagle in a 12 gauge as well.

It ticked me off a lot to not be able to take a long gun home the same day of the purchase.

I know how you feel.
What makes matters worse, is that I fear if I press the issue with the FBI, BATFE, DHS, by asking for a UPIN number, I will just end up on a new list.
Might not be able to get on an airplane if you get on the wrong list.
Makes my feel like I neet a tinfoil body suit.
Guess I have no faith in our Fed at all...

davidmcbeth

Banned
Sounds like its quicker to just establish residency in another state that has no BS crap and then buy your guns and then move back !

M

McX

perhaps a few cheeseburgers slipped to the right person might move things along a bit.

Nutczak

I know how you feel.
What makes matters worse, is that I fear if I press the issue with the FBI, BATFE, DHS, by asking for a UPIN number, I will just end up on a new list.
Might not be able to get on an airplane if you get on the wrong list.
Makes my feel like I neet a tinfoil body suit.
Guess I have no faith in our Fed at all...

Here is the application in PDF form, just fill it out, print it, go to your local PD and get your prints done, make sure they officers fills out the print card with all information and signs it, send everything in, and this will end this lunacy hopefully

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/appeals/nics_vaf_brochure_eng.pdf

davidmcbeth

Banned

Nutczak

More commie forms I see ... I would not fill this out ... I would buy from a private party first.

Keep the Faith!

If private sellers readily had the hardware I wanted to buy, when I want to buy it, that would be a good choice, because then I don't pay tax either, But realistically that is not going to happen. Has this Brady ******** had the desired effect? NO, until we can get this crap repealed, this is our only choice if you do not want to be put on indefinite hold for making a legal purchase of a legal item.
"How did we let it get to this point in the first place" Is the question we should be asking ourselves!

DangerClose

I got held on a handgun recently. I don't know how long since there's a two-day wait anyway and it was fine by then. I didn't put my SS number on the form and wonder if people who get held up also did not.

Yetiman

I got held on a handgun recently. I didn't put my SS number on the form and wonder if people who get held up also did not.

I have never put my SS# down and have never had an issue with pistol rifle or shotgun transfers, even very recently.