• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCU and surrounding areas crime

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A
Theft10/30/12. 01:50 PM.2XX S CHERRY STREET RICHMONDDetails
BRobbery10/30/12. 11:10 PM.1XX N PLUM STREET RICHMONDDetails
COther10/30/12. 05:00 PM.16XX MONUMENT AVENUE RICHMONDDetails
DBurglary10/30/12. 05:00 PM.0XX W CARY STREET RICHMONDDetails
EBurglary10/30/12. 07:00 PM.23XX PARKWOOD AVENUE RICHMONDDetails
FTheft10/30/12. 02:30 PM.6XX E MARSHALL STREET RICHMONDDetails
GTheft10/30/12. 09:00 PM.13XX OVERBROOK ROAD RICHMONDDetails
HTheft10/30/12. 10:00 AM.29XX NORTHUMBERLAND AVENUE RICHMONDDetails
IBurglary10/30/12. 12:03 AM.24XX BARTON AVENUE RICHMONDDetails
JArrest10/30/12. 04:22 PM.18XX HULL STREET RICHMONDDetails

http://spotcrime.com/alertviewer/?dt=2012-11-02&id=8ee7744ef990682f910cca1e32e1a71a&mid=100821390

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
VCU - Crime

I googled "VCU crime" and this thread was 2nd link on page 3 of the search results. Would like to see it get even higher in the search results. Get the message out.

Proud to say that a Google search for "VCU crime" is now up on the 2nd page of a Google.

vcucrime.png

Attachments

• vcu crime.jpg
    vcu crime.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
http://virginiacopblock.org/tag/vcu-crime/

I don't want to offend LEO, I just believe it is relevant to pass on to the open-carry/civil-rights community that even perceived leftists are on board with us and against VCU's anti-life policies.

At the bottom of the video they have Peter's video (I think).

GDBaum

I don't want to offend LEO, I just believe it is relevant to pass on to the open-carry/civil-rights community that even perceived leftists are on board with us and against VCU's anti-life policies.

At the bottom of the video they have Peter's video (I think).

I'll be the first to say that I'm an avowed leftist on almost every issue (and a VCU student to boot). The 2nd amendment is one of the few dents in my liberal armor. I just joined the "Support the right for VCU students to carry on campus" group on Facebook. I'll also keep lurking around the forums here and try to keep a watch for any on campus events. I usually glance at the forum at least every other day so if y'all post about an event near or on campus I'll try to make a point of showing up.

I have actually found being very liberal in most ways to be beneficial when I have to defend or discuss my choice to be armed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--

I have actually found being very liberal in most ways to be beneficial when I have to defend or discuss my choice to be armed.

Explain please. This is an area of interest to me and I think to others here.

Thanks for showing support for the safety and dignity of your fellow man.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The beat goes on!

CrimeDateAddressLink
ATheft11/03/12. 03:00 PM.1XX S LAUREL STREET RICHMONDDetails
BOther11/03/12. 01:00 AM.9XX W FRANKLIN STREET RICHMONDDetails
COther11/05/12. 01:00 PM.14XX GROVE AVENUE RICHMONDDetails
DTheft11/01/12. 05:17 PM.14XX GROVE AVENUE RICHMONDDetails
EAssault11/04/12. 11:37 PM.10XX W GRACE STREET RICHMONDDetails
FTheft11/02/12. 10:00 PM.5XX N HARRISON STREET RICHMONDDetails
GTheft11/02/12. 12:00 PM.3XX S CHERRY STREET RICHMONDDetails
HOther11/02/12. 06:00 PM.9XX W BROAD STREET RICHMONDDetails
ITheft10/31/12. 08:08 PM.9XX W BROAD STREET RICHMONDDetails
JOther11/04/12. 05:50 AM.5XX W FRANKLIN STREET RICHMONDDetails
KTheft11/04/12. 06:30 PM.13XX GRAYLAND AVENUE RICHMONDDetails
LBurglary11/02/12. 02:00 PM.11XX W GRACE STREET RICHMONDDetails
MTheft11/01/12. 02:00 PM.2XX RANDOLPH STREET RICHMONDDetails
NOther11/05/12. 01:50 PM.8XX W BROAD STREET RICHMONDDetails
OOther11/04/12. 11:50 AM.2XX N HENRY STREET RICHMONDDetails
POther11/04/12. 03:00 PM.13XX W BROAD STREET RICHMONDDetails
QTheft11/05/12. 08:00 PM.13XX W BROAD STREET RICHMONDDetails
RTheft11/03/12. 11:00 PM.4XX GILMER STREET RICHMONDDetails
SOther11/05/12. 08:00 AM.1XX S JEFFERSON STREET RICHMONDDetails
TOther11/02/12. 05:00 PM.3XX W FRANKLIN STREET RICHMONDDetails
UArrest11/02/12. 12:13 AM.3XX W FRANKLIN STREET RICHMONDDetails
VTheft10/31/12. 12:00 PM.4XX W GRACE STREET RICHMONDDetails
WOther11/04/12. 10:38 PM.4XX W GRACE STREET RICHMONDDetails
XVandalism10/31/12. 12:00 PM.4XX W GRACE STREET RICHMONDDetails
YTheft11/02/12. 05:00 PM.5XX W BROAD STREET RICHMONDDetails
ZArrest10/31/12. 05:19 PM.5XX W BROAD STREET RICHMONDDetails
Assault11/03/12. 11:56 PM.16XX W MAIN STREET RICHMONDDetails
Arson11/02/12. 08:27 AM.11XX DANCE STREET RICHMONDDetails
Other10/31/12. 08:50 AM.1XX W CANAL STREET RICHMONDDetails
Arrest11/02/12. 06:30 PM.16XX W BROAD STREET RICHMONDDetails
Theft11/01/12. 12:30 AM.8XX BOWE STREET RICHMONDDetails
Robbery11/02/12. 10:11 PM.3XX W BROAD STREET RICHMONDDetails
Theft11/01/12. 05:45 PM.9XX N LOMBARDY STREET RICHMONDDetails
Theft11/03/12. 01:00 PM.9XX N LOMBARDY STREET RICHMONDDetails
Theft11/03/12. 12:10 PM.9XX N LOMBARDY STREET RICHMONDDetails
Theft11/01/12. 07:30 PM.9XX N LOMBARDY STREET RICHMONDDetails
Theft10/31/12. 02:00 PM.17XX PARKWOOD AVENUE RICHMONDDetails
Assault11/03/12. 01:20 AM.17XX PARKWOOD AVENUE RICHMONDDetails
Assault10/31/12. 11:27 PM.3XX W MARSHALL STREET RICHMONDDetails
Burglary11/01/12. 10:00 AM.3XX W MARSHALL STREET RICHMONDDetails
Theft11/02/12. 09:00 AM.1XX W BROAD STREET RICHMONDDetails
Theft11/03/12. 12:00 PM.3XX W CLAY STREET RICHMONDDetails
Other11/03/12. 09:30 PM.0XX E GRACE STREET RICHMONDDetails
Assault11/03/12. 09:30 PM.0XX E GRACE STREET RICHMONDDetails
Theft11/04/12. 08:00 PM.19XX HANOVER AVENUE RICHMONDDetails
Theft11/02/12. 10:00 PM.19XX FLOYD AVENUE RICHMONDDetails
Theft11/05/12. 12:30 PM.0XX E BROAD STREET RICHMONDDetails
Theft11/04/12. 10:00 PM.2XX N 1ST STREET RICHMONDDetails
Arrest11/01/12. 10:10 AM.2XX E MAIN STREET RICHMONDDetails
Assault10/31/12. 03:35 AM.0XX N MEADOW STREET RICHMONDDetails
imp
imp
imp
imp
imp
imp
imp
imp
imp
imp

Last edited:

GDBaum

Explain please. This is an area of interest to me and I think to others here.

Thanks for showing support for the safety and dignity of your fellow man.

Well I've noticed a marked distinction in people's reaction to me having a gun depending on a few factors. When I meet someone while OCing, the other person usually seems to assume I'm a hard-line conservative. If that person is anti-gun then it always seems that there's nothing I can say that will be listened to.

On the other hand, after I bought my firearm, a lot of my friends and acquaintances weren't immediately aware of it. Most of the people I deal with day to day are *extremely* liberal (I'm a theatre major so it's kind of to be expected). So, almost to the one, as people learned I owned a gun they initially reacted with shock but since they already know I'm not a born-again, homophobic, illiterate, gun-nut they listened and engaged me in conversation about why I'd chosen to protect myself. Please note I'm not saying that conservatives or OCers are born-again, homophobic, or illiterate but that is the unfortunate stereotype that can arise when you work in as insular a community as my major is.

Basically, it's that my reputation for being liberal that's helped me to avoid the kind of stereotyping that stops honest conversation before it starts. Of course the reaction I usually get is something along the lines of "Well I don't mind you having a gun and I get why you want to have it for protection but... (insert rationalization about the general populace's lack of self control)"

Every now and then though, and I think it's been getting more frequently as I've gotten practice at defending my choice to OC, the other person kind of stopped and went, "You know I never thought about it like that."

So yeah, not foolproof but it's my foot in the door with the more party-line-toeing Democrats I've met.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Appreciate you perspective GDBaum and can see the benefit.

I'm always amazed at the attempts to pigeon hole or stereotype those that chose to take their personal defense seriously. We are such a total cross section of society that it almost defies description: young, old, middle aged; male and female; Catholics, Baptists, and agnostics; professionals, blue collar and part-time; students, graduates, and drop-outs; all races and ethnic groups; etc, etc.

By and large the common thread is that we are responsible people and safe to all except those that would mean us serious harm. We are law abiding. We are your neighbors. We want much the same things out of life. Perhaps we are best defined as those that will not go quietly into the night and become victims of a lawless entrepreneur intent on brutalizing us or our loved ones. If that makes us stand out, so much the better.

Last edited:

GDBaum

Agreed. Wanting to protect oneself is an ideal that crosses all lines.

I know my experiences have a few other people planning to arm and defend themselves as soon as are of age to do so. If enough students can see examples of responsible gun ownership maybe the general attitudes around here can start to shift. It only took me being a victim twice after all...

Yeah, yeah, I can be stubborn. I should've wised up after the first time but I wasn't over 21 then anyway.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Agreed. Wanting to protect oneself is an ideal that crosses all lines.

I know my experiences have a few other people planning to arm and defend themselves as soon as are of age to do so. If enough students can see examples of responsible gun ownership maybe the general attitudes around here can start to shift. It only took me being a victim twice after all...

Yeah, yeah, I can be stubborn. I should've wised up after the first time but I wasn't over 21 then anyway.

I think you're tagging yourself as a liberal when it isn't necessary true. We all have our beliefs in life and they really cross the liberal/conservative lines frequently.

How you handle people is almost identical to the approach Grapeshot takes and he isn't a "Liberal" but he also isn't a true conservative. Skidmark and I are a little less tactful at times, but again, that's not conservative....just grumpy:lol:

GDBaum

Well yeah, I'm not 100% liberal. I just identify as such because I vote mostly Democrat and agree with more liberal platforms than conservative ones. It's too much of a mouthful to say "I'm a socially liberal fiscal conservative that still believes in welfare and has a strict stance on protecting Second Amendment rights".

Hm... Maybe I should just tell people I support the Blue Dog Coalition.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well yeah, I'm not 100% liberal. I just identify as such because I vote mostly Democrat and agree with more liberal platforms than conservative ones. It's too much of a mouthful to say "I'm a socially liberal fiscal conservative that still believes in welfare and has a strict stance on protecting Second Amendment rights".

Hm... Maybe I should just tell people I support the Blue Dog Coalition.

Nah - you'll push them into sensory overload and their earflaps will secure the portholes to their mind. Gotta keep it simple....at first.

Keep doing what you are doing. Bet it is working - people that know you will try to understand, even if it gives them a headache.....and that is what it is about - understanding.

GDBaum

Nah - you'll push them into sensory overload and their earflaps will secure the portholes to their mind. Gotta keep it simple....at first.

Keep doing what you are doing. Bet it is working - people that know you will try to understand, even if it gives them a headache.....and that is what it is about - understanding.

I don't know why but your response really made me laugh. I'll keep doing what I'm doing out in public. After all, it is who I naturally am and it's working well. But I think that just on this forum I'll start identifying as a Blue Dog instead of "liberal".:D

Back on topic though, I've noticed a large discrepancy between the VCU alerts I get and the crime listings that have been posted in this thread. Is VCU only required to report on crimes against VCU students or is it based on where the crime occurs and how close to campus it is? Or is it based on the severity of the crime? I'd hate to think that my university it trying to down play the amount of local crime (though it wouldn't surprise me).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--
I've noticed a large discrepancy between the VCU alerts I get and the crime listings that have been posted in this thread. Is VCU only required to report on crimes against VCU students or is it based on where the crime occurs and how close to campus it is? Or is it based on the severity of the crime? I'd hate to think that my university it trying to down play the amount of local crime (though it wouldn't surprise me).

Campus crime reports - the McClary Act, federal standards
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clery_Act

The Handbook for Campus Safety and Security Reporting
http://www2.ed.gov/admins/lead/safety/handbook.pdf

How to Identify Your On-campus Geography - 34 CFR 668.46(a)
This is where VCU gets its "wiggle room". It is not on campus if the crime did not occur on property specifically owned by or leased by the university...and that stops at the sidewalk or curb line of this very urban campus. It is off campus virtually every city block once you get to the sidewalk or curb line. Monroe Park (city owned) is off campus, 7-11, restaurants, alleys, streets, even sidewalks at perimeter of VCU property are off campus. Even properties acquired by "friends of VCU" for future expansion are off campus.

Look at a detailed map of VCU buildings. The lot on which the building sits and the building itself are on-campus, the adjoining properties are not unless also owned/leased by VCU. The only miniscule "campus" is approximately 4 city blocks in the center of VCU and even then the streets are city property, the front sidewalks are a gray area - the rest is a checker board of yes & no.

The VCU-MCV complex in downtown Richmond is much larger, but complicated in that MCV is a special category designated as an Authority by the state = as in a separate municipality/city + the buildings have a dual purpose of school(?) and community hospital. I have never seen MCV area crime reported under the McClary Act. BTW - the police department for MCV is one and the same as for the academic (Monroe Park) campus. Google "MCV hospital , reporting under the McClary Act" or similar and you will draw a blank, nothing, nada.

Considering the above, do you begin to see the problem? The McClary Act functions best in a stereotyped, sprawling, acreage campus. VCU takes full advantage of their unique real estate footprint to avoid/not include crimes that are technically off-campus. They IMO spin the numbers and hide behind smoke and mirrors. I'm not exactly sure they even report all of those that do/should qualify. Again IMO - your safety is not their primary concern. Looking good is.

GDBaum

That doesn't completely fit with the alerts I've gotten though. I don't have a huge backlog of the texts they send out but I did get one for this crime that you linked to in an earlier post:

http://spotcrime.com/crimealert/34537014-b2164587bebbb0f3fd5d0678c69c5c69

From the location of the crime (Which was about a block and half from where I live. Yay.) it seems to me that they wouldn't have had to report it. So any clue why news of that particular crime gets sent out to all students but not others?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
That doesn't completely fit with the alerts I've gotten though. I don't have a huge backlog of the texts they send out but I did get one for this crime that you linked to in an earlier post:

http://spotcrime.com/crimealert/34537014-b2164587bebbb0f3fd5d0678c69c5c69

From the location of the crime (Which was about a block and half from where I live. Yay.) it seems to me that they wouldn't have had to report it. So any clue why news of that particular crime gets sent out to all students but not others?

I think they are going a little beyond because VT got it's chops busted over their alerts.