• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Springfeild 1911

robert1970

i just bought a new Springfeild 1911 loaded model.This is the first 1911 I have owned,so I dont have eny experience with one.I was wondering whats the safest way of carring a 1911 fully loaded.I have been told the safest method was cocked and locked.

Archerman99

That's how they are meant to be carried...locked and loaded. The grip and thumb safety are a great design!

I personally don't see the reason of carrier any other way...other wise you're just carrying a nice shiny $1,100 rock to throw at someone

robert1970

That's how they are meant to be carried...locked and loaded. The grip and thumb safety are a great design!

I personally don't see the reason of carrier any other way...other wise you're just carrying a nice shiny $1,100 rock to throw at someone

Thanks for your advice.I thought thats how they were desighned to be carried.

WalkingWolf

i just bought a new Springfeild 1911 loaded model.This is the first 1911 I have owned,so I dont have eny experience with one.I was wondering whats the safest way of carring a 1911 fully loaded.I have been told the safest method was cocked and locked.

Ohhhh Lord, I see I am going to have to run to the store for more popcorn...

WalkingWolf

Thanks for your advice.I thought thats how they were desighned to be carried.

You should carry YOUR gun however makes you the most comfortable, but they were not designed to be carried ONE specific condition. In fact the previous models submitted to the US Army did NOT have a thumb safety. The thumb safety was added at the insistence of the US Calvary, and then it was carried condition two. There is nothing wrong with carrying condition 1, as long as you do not take the safety off, and put your booger finger on the trigger before you have something in the sights you want to shoot. A handgun is only as safe as the person using it.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
What the Army does is rarely key in what we should do; but I concede the outdated point. The military sidearm is rarely a first-line weapon. I know for a fact that guys loaded their pistols after leaving to go out on patrol in Vietnam, even though loaded chambers were not allowed on bases. For the cops and FBI agents that carried 1911s, how do you suppose they carried? Same as the military rules for bases? No. Loaded; cocked and locked.

Regardless, modern handgun technique is to carry your handgun loaded in a manner that makes it safe to do so (holster, knowledge, etc.) As such, the 1911 should be carried loaded and cocked with the safety on. Modern 1911s are even safer in this condition than their predecessors.

Some people (this is not directed at anyone here) are alarmed at seeing the cocked hammer. They honestly need to learn how to just get over it. A loaded Glock is 60% cocked. A loaded Springfield Armory XD is fully cocked. A loaded Walther PPQ is fully cocked. You just don't see the striker, and out of sight is out of mind.

I still hear people on the other side of a room (in a gun store, no less, sometimes) whisper to each other that my hammer is cocked. It's amusing, but telling of a new generation that grew up with different guns.

If someone personally thinks they should carry their 1911 without a round in the chamber, then they should realize that they should carry their Glock, XD, PPQ, or even their DA auto in the same way. But that is a decision each person should make for themselves. Just remember that it takes two hands to load a pistol in any kind of quick and/or safe manner. And defending yourself often involves extremely close quarters and wanting a hand available to do something else, assuming you had both hands free to start with.

I strongly recommend a holster and training that makes you comfortable with carrying a modern 1911 in Condition 1, as it is (present tense) designed.

And yes, the thumb safety is still superfluous; but we've worked it into the modern technique as a traditional feature of the platform. It adds no time to the deployment.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

What the Army does is rarely key in what we should do; but I concede the outdated point. The military sidearm is rarely a first-line weapon. I know for a fact that guys loaded their pistols after leaving to go out on patrol in Vietnam, even though loaded chambers were not allowed on bases. For the cops and FBI agents that carried 1911s, how do you suppose they carried? Same as the military rules for bases? No. Loaded; cocked and locked.

Regardless, modern handgun technique is to carry your handgun loaded in a manner that makes it safe to do so (holster, knowledge, etc.) As such, the 1911 should be carried loaded and cocked with the safety on. Modern 1911s are even safer in this condition than their predecessors.

Some people (this is not directed at anyone here) are alarmed at seeing the cocked hammer. They honestly need to learn how to just get over it. A loaded Glock is 60% cocked. A loaded Springfield Armory XD is fully cocked. A loaded Walther PPQ is fully cocked. You just don't see the striker and out of sight is out of mind.

I still hear people on the other side of a room (in a gun store, no less, sometimes) whisper to each other that my hammer is cocked. It's amusing, but telling of a new generation that grew up with different guns.

If someone personally thinks they should carry their 1911 without a round in the chamber, then they should realize that they should carry their Glock, XD, PPQ, or even their DA auto in the same way. But that is a decision each person should make for themselves. Just remember that it takes two hands to load a pistol in any kind of quick manner. And defending yourself often involves extremely close quarters and wanting a hand available to do something else.

I strongly recommend a holster and training that makes you comfortable with carrying a modern 1911 in Condition 1, as it is (present tense) designed.

They honestly need to learn how to just get over it. My sentiments exactly, if "they" whoever it may be do not like how I carry or live my life they need to just get over it. It is my choice, it is the OP's choice, you or anyone else has NO control. Everybody needs to remember just who they are, and not get to far ahead of themselves.

Last edited:

robert1970

Thanks for the advice.I feel compleatly comfertable carrying it cocked and locked now.

WalkingWolf

Don't forget to chamber-check each cartridge that you will be carrying, too.

Actually I do that, I have both a spare 9mm Largo barrel and a spare government surplus barrel that I check each round after applying a factory crimp while reloading. I do believe factory ammo is checked/inspected, I would not bother or worry to much about it. If a person has a gun new to them it does not take much time to make sure it works. And I would never carry a gun I had not checked out, or fired. Good way to crap the old drawers, but then YMMV.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Actually I do that, I have both a spare 9mm Largo barrel and a spare government surplus barrel that I check each round after applying a factory crimp while reloading. I do believe factory ammo is checked/inspected, I would not bother or worry to much about it. If a person has a gun new to them it does not take much time to make sure it works. And I would never carry a gun I had not checked out, or fired. Good way to crap the old drawers, but then YMMV.

I used to think that, too. A number of photos of visually out-of-spec factory cartridges convinced me of that author's arguments, whoever he was.

I would like to think that every factory premium defensive cartridge is thoroughly inspected. But, when life might later be on line, all you have to do is pop out the barrel and drop 25-50 cartridges into the chamber and give each a quick visual inspection. It takes what? Maybe ten minutes.

WalkingWolf

I used to think that, too. A number of photos of visually out-of-spec factory cartridges convinced me of that author's arguments, whoever he was.

I would like to think that every factory premium defensive cartridge is thoroughly inspected. But, when life might later be on line, all you have to do is pop out the barrel and drop 25-50 cartridges into the chamber and give each a quick visual inspection. It takes what? Maybe ten minutes.
I can agree with that, I inspect each round that I reload, and that is almost all that I use for self defense. I do visually check the 9X18 rounds, they are the only manufactured cartridges I use for self defense. I don't have 9X18 bullets at this time for reloading, cases I can make if I decide to. Even my shotgun rounds are reloads. The big problem I worry about with factory ammo is duds, and double charge, so far I have never had it happen, though I have heard plenty of stories.

WalkingWolf

yes i have.I went out today and i put 50 rounds of winchester 230 grain jhp through it,with out eny problems.

That is not what I meant when I said function test. You want to test the gun safety devices to make sure they function properly. You also want to check for any play in the lock up of the firearm.

robert1970

That is not what I meant when I said function test. You want to test the gun safety devices to make sure they function properly. You also want to check for any play in the lock up of the firearm.

Iam sorrey I misunderstood what you meant.Yes i have done that.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Robert 1970:

A function test is things like:

Check to make sure the gun is unloaded.

Release the slide, pull the trigger without depressing the grip-safety. Hammer shouldn't fall. This tests the grip safety.

Another is to test thumb safety.

Another is to test the half-cock notch.

Another is to test the firing pin safety (if it has one). This is a drop safety, meaning if you drop the gun, the firing pin cannot bounce into the primer. If you have one, there will be a little finger that rises from the lower frame when the trigger is depressed. It engages a little spring-tensioned plunger in the bottom rear of the slide. There is a notch in the plunger, and a notch in the firing pin. If the notches don't line up, the firing pin cannot reach the primer. When the finger pushes up on the plunger, the notches in plunger and firing pin align, and now the firing pin can move all the way forward to strike the primer. Not all 1911'S have this safety. Some use a heavy firing pin spring and light firing pin.

There is a logical sequence to these steps. You can find videos about it on YouTube.

ETA: [facepalm] Of course, Robert posts that he's already done it while I am composing my post and refreshing my drink. :)

Last edited:

robert1970

I wish I had bought a 1911 alot sooner,they are a fun gun to shoot.I think Iam going to be happy with it.