• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Very New to Open Carry...

rwasham

I'm very new to the idea of Open Carry so please forgive my ignorance. I've been aware of it's existence for a while, but this site is my first big foray into figuring out what it's all about. My question is this. Though complying with Police requests to answer questions and be detained, in cases of open carry, is quite a hassel and often clearly a violation of a person's rights (in most jurisdictions? or all?), It seems to me that life is easier for everyone if you comply. Officers can ascertain your intentions, and you can make it clear what those intentions are so that you are not incorrectly marked as a criminal. It seems that most of the situations I've read about and seen videotaped on YouTube only escalate with non-compliance. I dont see Officers stepping down hyper-vigilance in the face of armed citizens. It seems to me that many true criminals have forever ruined that portion of the right for all of us, however, it seems that, giving cops the chance to work with you instead of against you will result in better encounters for everyone. I'm sure there are cases with specific officers where even this doesnt work, but these same cops will probably be dicks regardless of your attitude towards them. Am I missing something? Like I said before I'm new to all this, and really need more guidance on different viewpoints. Thanks Guys!

rwasham

EMNofSeattle

I'm very new to the idea of Open Carry so please forgive my ignorance. I've been aware of it's existence for a while, but this site is my first big foray into figuring out what it's all about. My question is this. Though complying with Police requests to answer questions and be detained, in cases of open carry, is quite a hassel and often clearly a violation of a person's rights (in most jurisdictions? or all?), It seems to me that life is easier for everyone if you comply. Officers can ascertain your intentions, and you can make it clear what those intentions are so that you are not incorrectly marked as a criminal. It seems that most of the situations I've read about and seen videotaped on YouTube only escalate with non-compliance. I dont see Officers stepping down hyper-vigilance in the face of armed citizens. It seems to me that many true criminals have forever ruined that portion of the right for all of us, however, it seems that, giving cops the chance to work with you instead of against you will result in better encounters for everyone. I'm sure there are cases with specific officers where even this doesnt work, but these same cops will probably be dicks regardless of your attitude towards them. Am I missing something? Like I said before I'm new to all this, and really need more guidance on different viewpoints. Thanks Guys!

rwasham

This topic has been discussed often on this forum. Really all that can be said Is you need to determine how you plan to handle police encounters. On one hand yes it's most likely you'll be on your way quicker if you comply, but on the same token if you allow an officer to hassle you for mere OC then other OCers will be harassed more often in the future.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
May I suggest you get your hands on "You & The Police" by Boston T. Party. This is a short and concise little handbook which covers these topics quite nicely. Basically the universal adage, "give them an inch and they'll want a mile" applies. Police are constantly on fishing expeditions. Do let them haul you in.

Deciding to inform an officer that you are carrying during a traffic stop in a state where this is not required is a far cry from allowing them to "just take a look in your car" or removing your gun to run the serial number or cuffing you for "officer safety" or a host of other violations of your civil rights.

Still it does come down to what YOU decide to do and what YOU believe to be in your best interests. From my own personal experience, I have only had one encounter with an officer who was checking me out in an upscale grocery store. He had received a call about a man with a gun acting suspicious. It was VERY clear to me that when he approached me, he was uncomfortable since I was hardly a suspicious looking person. He was smiling, asked three or four questions, never wanted to see any sort of ID, and it was very obvious that he just wanted to get this over as quickly as possible. It took all of perhaps 30-45 seconds and it was also obvious that he was embarrassed that he had even approached me about something so mundane.

rwasham

May I suggest you get your hands on "You & The Police" by Boston T. Party. This is a short and concise little handbook which covers these topics quite nicely. Basically the universal adage, "give them an inch and they'll want a mile" applies. Police are constantly on fishing expeditions. Do let them haul you in.

Deciding to inform an officer that you are carrying during a traffic stop in a state where this is not required is a far cry from allowing them to "just take a look in your car" or removing your gun to run the serial number or cuffing you for "officer safety" or a host of other violations of your civil rights.

I guess I was refering to instances where people refuse to even give their name. I can understand that letting them look in your car, or getting cuffed, and your gun taken is definitely over the line, but It seems like there could be a middle ground. I've never open carried, and wouldn't do so until I was fully educated, but keeping that in mind, many encounters that I've only read about or watched seem to start off inflamatory and just escalate. My perception may be skewed, because I haven't had an encounter like this ever (due to the fact that I have yet to open carry). You're right, that everyone does need to make their own decision, and I will certainly be obtaining a copy of "You & The Police". Thanks!

Freedom1Man

I thought that Boston T Party told people to give the name Name, address, and SSN.

I have read it at some point and I might have a copy hidden somewhere still.

If I still have it I might put it in my BOB and use it to help light fires.