• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just To Clarify...

Steveboos

I read the whole North Carolina Firearm Laws document again today. And not in one spot does it say anything about having to inform any approaching LEO about your Openly Carried firearm. It only designates Concealed firearms with a CCHP. I am correct to assume since you have to have the gun in plain view in your vehicle when being transported, you don't need to tell the officer about it at all? This is unless he asks "Do you have any weapons in the vehicle" To which i will simply reply "Yes".

Just want to clarify this. Thanks!

NC-Heel

You are not required BUT this is one situation where I think you should quickly and calmly notify any LEO conducting a traffic stop. By notifying, it has been my experience, you may get favorable treatment and a speedier release for whatever reason the stop was initiated. By not notifying, it has been my experience, the LEO becomes edgy (had a NCHP officer draw on me and order me from the vehicle in daylight due to a firearm in plain view years ago) and once they discover it on their own they want to "see" (run the numbers) it and usually start a long fishing expedition.

I see no benefit for not informing on an official contact. On a public contact (ie. one where they contact you about something that does not involve you directly) I will inform concealed but not open. One a casual contact (you know them or say hello in passing) I inform them of nothing.

OASN, Steve I forgot about you yesterday. I was going to call you and see if you wanted to meet up and go to the gun show. Maybe next month if you are interested. I picked up a pistol and a pistol caliber carbine yesterday. Check the CVN armory later for pics.

Steveboos

You are not required BUT this is one situation where I think you should quickly and calmly notify any LEO conducting a traffic stop. By notifying, it has been my experience, you may get favorable treatment and a speedier release for whatever reason the stop was initiated. By not notifying, it has been my experience, the LEO becomes edgy (had a NCHP officer draw on me and order me from the vehicle in daylight due to a firearm in plain view years ago) and once they discover it on their own they want to "see" (run the numbers) it and usually start a long fishing expedition.

I see no benefit for not informing on an official contact. On a public contact (ie. one where they contact you about something that does not involve you directly) I will inform concealed but not open. One a casual contact (you know them or say hello in passing) I inform them of nothing.

OASN, Steve I forgot about you yesterday. I was going to call you and see if you wanted to meet up and go to the gun show. Maybe next month if you are interested. I picked up a pistol and a pistol caliber carbine yesterday. Check the CVN armory later for pics.

Makes sense. I mean since it's in plain view, i guess there's no way around it, so I will inform them if it ever happens.

I worked 21 hours this weekend, no way that i could have gone to the show, but a few of my friends did some scouting for me. Need a CZ-75B in Stainless Steel and it's harder to find than a woman who ISN'T crazy.

NC-Heel

Good luck on that. THe CZ's are in high demand and short supply right now. Sold the pistol caliber carbine I bought yesterday and made $175. Picked up a Ruger 10/22 Takedown that I have been wanting.

Steveboos

Good luck on that. THe CZ's are in high demand and short supply right now. Sold the pistol caliber carbine I bought yesterday and made $175. Picked up a Ruger 10/22 Takedown that I have been wanting.

Yeah i've come to realize that after talking to some others. But alas, i will keep my eyes open for it!