• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tulsa World: Packing in Public: Open Carry to start Nov 1

Brandon9mm

The story

I was interviewed for this story. The reporter told me that he started this story opposed to open carry, but by the time he got to talk to me, he had changed his mind.

Another reporter did a story about her experience applying for a handgun license. Read it here.

Both stories were VERY positive.

I liked this part the most....

Law enforcement officials said they haven't had problems with concealed carry since its passage in 1995. In fact, many said those with licenses were well-informed about the law and its requirements.

"I think we have to look at historical data," Tulsa Police Chief Chuck Jordan said. "The same people that open carry have concealed permits, and there have not been any problems. They haven't been a danger to the public. They haven't been a danger to our officers."

Jordan said he has spoken with officials in states where open carry is allowed, which helped to quell some of his concerns. There haven't been many problems tied directly to open carry elsewhere, he said.

MKEgal

Brandon, welcome aboard.
If I may point out a feature of these boards...
If you want to quote part of someone's post use the "reply with quote" button in the lower right of each post, or click the little quote & + sign to quote several posts when you "reply to thread" (it'll show a check mark).
Then trim out the parts you don't need. Especially with longer posts, people will really appreciate that.
If you just want to reply to the thread, use the button toward the bottom left of the whole thread, saying "reply to thread". That gives you a blank editor window.

"I think we have to look at historical data," Tulsa Police Chief Chuck Jordan said. "The same people that open carry have concealed permits, and there have not been any problems. They haven't been a danger to the public. They haven't been a danger to our officers."
Jordan said he has spoken with officials in states where open carry is allowed...
O.M.G. A police chief with some sense!! Imagine, talking to people with experience with the situation you plan to be dealing with.
Can we get him to come talk with our cops in WI, who have been collectively having the proverbial cow since we got cc a year ago?

Last edited:

hermannr

I enjoyed both columns. Very good. I am happy to see that the response is relatively prositive.

I was a bit unhappy I could not comment without subscribing,,,but it's their newspaper.

so I will comment here, and you can post it to the newslink if you think it is worth anything.

I OC, not to display that I have a weapon, but to inform those that would do me harm that I can defend myself. It has worked for me since 1970, I have never pulled my pistol out of it's holster in anger or Self defence in 42+ years of OC. I also have had the experience that someone that was vocally yelling he was going to do me harm...turned and left when he saw I could defend myself.

I carry to deter a confrontation. Those that Conceal like to say they like the "tactical advantage" of not letting anyone know they can defend themselves. I would rather not have the confrontation in the first place,,,,OC can deter that potential confrontation, CC cannot.

Last edited:

FireHawk911

Bryan, he told me the same thing, I was very impressed that the TW let is go out in the way it did.