Thread: Signage question

Cincinnati (Springfield Township), Ohio, USA

Signage question

I spent some time working on a 'church in a day' project in Hamilton, Ohio. I saw this sign and am wondering what the legal significance is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1018121155.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	9426  

Quote Originally Posted by Sigger View Post
    I spent some time working on a 'church in a day' project in Hamilton, Ohio. I saw this sign and am wondering what the legal significance is.
    Looks like it's a school zone, if the sign is to be believed. This would technically mean that it is a "weapon free" zone, unless of course you're picking up / dropping off a child...but who knows. Hamilton has another sign in a park that prohibits firearms that is being worked on as well.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    To figure out if this sign has any force of law we need to know where it is posted.

The term "school zone" is only defined in Ohio law under ORC 4511.21. And the definition only applies to that particular section.

"School Zone" is defined in federal law.

18 USC 921 defines

(25) The term “school zone” means—
    (A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or
    (B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.

Cincinnati (Springfield Township), Ohio, USA
    The sign is at the entrance to the property of the new church. The property was previously used for a school.

The sign is at the entrance to the property of the new church. The property was previously used for a school.
    Sounds to me like someone needs to write Hamilton and have the outdated sign taken down. I once saw a Dead End sign on a road that has been "open" for at least 5 years. So doesn't surprise me it's still there if it was once a school.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    The sign has no force and effect of law if it is JUST a church because the verbiage implies otherwise.
    Last edited by color of law; 10-22-2012 at 08:25 PM.